British Comedy Guide

Asterix and Obelix

Did anyone else enoy these books when they were younger?
I see they have done a few new books with diffferent writers,and although the Goscinny written ones are unparraleled
I did just order one of the new ones, Asterix and the White Iris , just for nostalgia's sake

Ah yes, the Asterix books were great! I still own Asterix in Britain and Asterix the Legionary. A lot of nostalgic appeal, but still genuinely funny in their own right.

I also really liked the cartoon film of The Twelve Tasks of Asterix, which I just noticed is on Youtube.

The toys weren't so great, Asterix fell apart in less than a day...

I loved the books too! Particularly Asterix in Britain and Asterix and Cleopatra. Funny and beautiful artwork. Occasionally jokes were lost in translation.
I agree about the toys! A number of mine broke very easily.

I was always aware of them when I was a kid seeing them at the library as i loved British comics. I can't remember if I did get one out and struggled or if my dad didn't let me. Anyway I never got into them but as an adult I kept meaning to but never got around to it.

They were great. From France. I usually got them from the library too (along with Dr Seuss).

Asterix & Tin Tin.
Fantastic.
We used to get a new one before we went on holiday (Rupert when we were a little younger) - confident in the knowledge that whichever corner if the UK we visited we'd be stuck indoors while it pissed down solidly for a week.

I grew up reading Asterix and Tintin too.
There's a writer called Garen Ewing who writes very Tintin-esque books now. https://www.garenewing.co.uk/

Quote: zooo @ 27th August 2024, 3:18 PM

There's a writer called Garen Ewing who writes very Tintin-esque books now. https://www.garenewing.co.uk/

Nice work.

Found a copy of Tintin in Tibet in the local Charity shop
And ordered myself two more Asterix books off e bay
Asterix and the missing scroll (one of the new ones) , and for Nostalgia's sake Asterix and Cleopatra
Starting to get a bit of a collection going
Including a couple in Scottish dialect, ( Asterix in Britain is titled Asterix and the Sassenachs )

Ah, I read all of them I could get my hands on. Always laughed at Julius getting his comeuppence!

Asterix and the missing scroll arrived today ( one of the newer volumes )
Still translated by Anthea Bell who did most of them alongside Derek Hockridge
and fair play to them for that job as many of the lines were written as puns in French that didn't neccessarily translate to puns in English
But they still managed to find a joke that worked,