British Comedy Guide

Sitcom name please!

Hey allim hoping you can help me as it's driving me crazy.

I'm looking for the name of a 80s or very early 90s UK sitcom. All I can remember about it is the main character or one of them was partially blind. He had a lady come round and she made a comment about the wallpaper which was very poorly done and he said he'd done it himself. He may or may not have drove a lorry of some kind.

Any help gratefully received and thanks in advance!

Huge chance it was called Clarence and starred Ronnie Barker. It was a bit mediocre and I am sure the last sitcom he did before retiring.

Just had a Google and yes, that's it. Thank you!!!

Quote: tonecapone @ 17th August 2024, 6:50 PM

It was a bit mediocre

I'm surprised you say that.
If we're talking about sheer funniness, I'd say 'Clarence' was Ronnie Barker's masterpiece.

I liked it

Not his best work but it was enjoyable

I found it on YouTube and have watched the first couple of episodes. It's decent - not brilliant but certainly watchable and a lot better than some of the recent 'sitcoms' to be shown on the telly box!

Quote: Lonestar @ 19th August 2024, 7:16 PM

I found it on YouTube and have watched the first couple of episodes. It's decent - not brilliant but certainly watchable and a lot better than some of the recent 'sitcoms' to be shown on the telly box!

I don't think it could be made nowadays with making fun of someone who is so short sighted.

I like this, so adorable!

It was fine. Not up there with Open All Hours or Porridge though.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 21st August 2024, 2:13 PM

It was fine. Not up there with Open All Hours or Porridge though.

Very good description. Just a simple gentle sitcom, which I certainly enjoyed, but would never buy a DVD set if it was available.

I do agree that Clarence isn't in the same dramatic league as Porridge or Open All Hours but where it excels (for me) is the number of quality jokes per page/minute/episode.
In that respect, I'd back it against any sitcom ever written and - here's the best bit - it wasn't churned out by an army of joke writers. It was done by Ronnie B on his own.
Having seen Clarence, not only is my hat off to Ronnie but I'm never going to put it on again.
What a talent!

In fairness, only one man wrote the whole of Open All Hours too. Porridge was written by two men.

Josephine Tewson was absolutely perfect in this

Vague memories of it being on the cover of The Radio Times, and of not being particularly struck.
I'm looking for that Two Ronnies sketch that involves the humorous use of wordplay.