British Comedy Guide

What are you reading right now? Page 249

Hunter Davies, The Quarrymen. After the crushing disappointment of his Beatles bio, it's a pleasant surprise.
Also Julia Baird's John Lennon - My Brother. Far easier to follow than the follow-up, Imagine This.

Quote: Thavok @ 18th January 2024, 12:27 PM

"Ready Player One" is an exciting story about a guy searching for treasure in a captivating virtual world. The book is full of adventures, humor, and references to famous games and movies. I haven't finished it yet. But I'm enjoying it.

Quote: Thavok @ 18th January 2024, 12:27 PM

Just finished "Ready Player One" and now I've started reading "Neuromancer" by William Gibson. Only 20 pages in, and I'm completely immersed in that atmosphere.

My journey with 'Ready Player One' began with the movie, but I wanted to explore the plot in more detail. Indeed, the book revealed new aspects and details that might be missed in the film.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 15th January 2024, 8:26 AM

Just really enjoyed, 'Different Times: A History of British Comedy' by David Stubbs.. Really good.

You may be almost the only one! It was ripped to shreds by pretty much every review, and certainly by every actual comedy/culture historian.

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd July 2024, 6:04 PM

You may be almost the only one! It was ripped to shreds by pretty much every review, and certainly by every actual comedy/culture historian.

Intrigued, I googled some reviews and the first two I looked at seemed to like it (TLS, chortle). I'm oddly tempted to read it if it's polarising.

Quote: chipolata @ 23rd July 2024, 6:24 PM

Intrigued, I googled some reviews and the first two I looked at seemed to like it (TLS, chortle). I'm oddly tempted to read it if it's polarising.

It's an interesting book. Seems to have been written to match a pre-existing opinion, as it massively skirts over any element that doesn't fit its narrative. A significant number of major titles and influential people get no mention at all, whilst others received only passing mention despite notable influence.

Just finished "Shut That Door" - the definitive biography of Larry Grayson by Tony Nicholson, and have to say it is one of the best of its type I have read in ages.

So well written and informative on one of those stars who was an overnight sensation after 35 years in the business, and what a charming man he was. There's also a nice array of photos from his life, which is always welcome and can be sorely lacking in some biogs I have read.

I see Nicholson has done the same for Ken Dodd, which I will certainly buy as it digs deeper into Dodd's personal life, which he kept very private, but this is with the help and blessing of Ken Dodd's widow.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd July 2024, 11:19 PM

Just finished "Shut That Door" - the definitive biography of Larry Grayson by Tony Nicholson, and have to say it is one of the best of its type I have read in ages.

So well written and informative on one of those stars who was an overnight sensation after 35 years in the business, and what a charming man he was. There's also a nice array of photos from his life, which is always welcome and can be sorely lacking in some biogs I have read.

I see Nicholson has done the same for Ken Dodd, which I will certainly buy as it digs deeper into Dodd's personal life, which he kept very private, but this is with the help and blessing of Ken Dodd's widow.

I love biographies too, you won't believe it, I was actually thinking about this book. I hesitated before, but now I really want to read it!

Quote: curtisrussell00 @ 30th July 2024, 11:40 AM

I love biographies too, you won't believe it, I was actually thinking about this book. I hesitated before, but now I really want to read it!

You won't be disappointed. The photographs alone are worth the punt, and the whole thing is based on the biography that Larry had been writing for years, but didn't get around to finishing, which the author was stunned to read through when he found the archive, which could so easily have been lost.

Hi, I'm trying to remember the name of that Agatha Christie book where there's a crime, an investigation and then the detective reveals who did it. Please help.

Just finished Bob Cryer's book about Barry Cryer.

An excellent read for any comedy fans.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barry-Cryer-Tomorrow-Laughs-Comedy-ebook/dp/B0C7LFC1NQ?nodl=1&dplnkId=92c61c4c-a20e-44d6-8d14-89ad8951dd05

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 27th August 2024, 11:16 AM

Hi, I'm trying to remember the name of that Agatha Christie book where there's a crime, an investigation and then the detective reveals who did it. Please help.

Oh, dear Micheal you're better than that, which is ancient

We used to get this on the Brit Film (I don't belong to it anymore) site :

"Trying to remember a film where this girl with her little dog, gets taken by a whirlwind and she goes to an enchanted land where she meets a scarecrow, a lion and a metal robot"

Also trying to find the Fawlty Towers episode where Basil gets increasingly irritated.
I'm rereading The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If you compare the discrepancies between all the different versions, you need a hobby.

Quote: Will Cam @ 1st September 2024, 10:54 AM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barry-Cryer-Tomorrow-Laughs-Comedy-ebook/dp/B0C7LFC1NQ?nodl=1&dplnkId=92c61c4c-a20e-44d6-8d14-89ad8951dd05

I think I have about 4 or 5 Barry Cryer books about somewhere which I have read - comedy genius

Quote: Will Cam @ 1st September 2024, 10:54 AM

Is that the bloke from the Bill?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st September 2024, 11:00 AM

"Trying to remember a film where this girl with her little dog, gets taken by a whirlwind and she goes to an enchanted land where she meets a scarecrow, a lion and a metal robot"

The Wizard of Oz. Googled it.