British Comedy Guide

Piglets

Ooh! This looks good. I loved Green Wing so I'm looking forward to this.

A bit of a naughty title. Trainee Pigs. Sounds a bit like Police Academy.

I just saw this on the newsletter and thought about starting a thread about it. I was going to write exactly the same forgetting I'd already done this last November.

Funnily enough when I saw Sarah Parish I thought Sarah Pascoe. Then I realised who it is and she is one of my favourite actresses and I'd never have recognised her.

Trailer, is there an air date yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG5OVu1tM-E

Whoa, that trailer looks good awful. Poor man's Operation Good Guys to say the least. It's the year 2024 and ITV still try to make sitcoms.

What is going on with this. It seems to have been made years ago and still no sign.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th July 2024, 10:59 AM

What is going on with this. It seems to have been made years ago and still no sign.

It will be broadcast on the 20th July according to Chortle.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2024/07/10/55973/police_slam_itv_comedy_piglets_as_disgusting

Yes I kind of agree that the title is a bit inflammatory although I get the joke.

I'll be looking forward to it. Is that right? 20th July? A Saturday night? Seems strange for a new sitcom.

Really enjoyed the first episode. Had that fast paced Green Wing style, and it made me laugh out loud three times before the first ad break, which for the first episode of a new sitcom is a brilliant start.

I really enjoyed that. Green Wing meets Police Academy.

I liked it too. Some good characters, and yeah, genuinely funny at times, particularly Mark Heap (doing his usual kind of thing, but he does it well).

I never actually saw Green Wing so I dunno about that, but was certainly reminded a bit of Police Academy, even with the guy wanting to be kicked out on the first day being reminiscent of Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg) in the first PA film.

Looks like it received some very negative reviews in the press though. The London Evening Standard gave it 1 star, saying "this supposed comedy is a crime against television", with the Independent, Guardian, the Times and others saying similar things.

Quote: a plate @ 21st July 2024, 1:14 AM

I never actually saw Green Wing so I dunno about that, but was certainly reminded a bit of Police Academy, even with the guy wanting to be kicked out on the first day being reminiscent of Mahoney (Steve Guttenberg) in the first PA film.

Yes!
I looked at twitter last night and 90% of the comments were passionately declaring it was the worst thing they'd ever seen. Which is clearly not true.
I think there's so little comedy on TV nowadays that when there is, for some reason everyone wants to pile on it and say it's shit. Not sure why. I guess if there were plenty of sitcoms on TV people would just watch the one they like and ignore the others, but they see just one and get angry that it's not to their particular taste. 'Why is this on when everything I liked got cancelled' etc.

Quote: zooo @ 21st July 2024, 7:25 AM

I guess if there were plenty of sitcoms on TV people would just watch the one they like and ignore the others, but they see just one and get angry that it's not to their particular taste. 'Why is this on when everything I liked got cancelled' etc.

Douglas got cancelled.

Sarah Parish and Mark Heap are stealing it, very, very funny. Hope it gets recommissioned.

Absolutely dire. Were the Green Wing team desperate for an ITV pay cheque? Anyone remember Campus? That bombed but was way better than this. Why does Mark Heap keep recycling his Dr Alan Statham character? Piglets is just so tired and unfunny while trying too hard to be wacky. Please ITV, stop making sitcoms like The Family Pile of sh*te from last year and that was written by BAFTA winner Brian Dooley of The Smoking Room fame. What a turkey.

Apart from a couple of smiles at Mark Heap, the rest to me was simply a messy unfunny script - I will apply my rule of watching the second episode though, but I don't hold out much hope from what I have seen so far.