British Comedy Guide

General Election 2024 Page 17

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th June 2024, 3:11 PM

Not saying she didn't work hard for it at all but she didn't face any adversity or snobbery in getting where she is. .

Really? None at all? Even though you yourself are being extremely snobby yourself now?
Thank god we're likely to have a new government next month. Such views are best consigned to the dustbin of history.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th June 2024, 1:32 PM

Definitely coming across as class hatred. It's really very admirable that someone from such a poor background can achieve such success in the face of such adversity and snobby attitudes like this.
Hopefully we shall see less of this kind of prejudice if Labour prevail next month.

To be fair this thread - and its companion piece - has always been full of class hatred and snobbery, albeit normally of the inverted variety:

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th April 2024, 7:41 PM

...all the fancy boarding schools he went to

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th October 2022, 9:31 PM

snobs who think that anyone who is working class and speaks with a regional accent has no business in having anything to do with being in government

That's primarily for the Johnsons and the Reese Moggs of this world

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st November 2023, 9:35 AM

As a public school educated Tory...

Yep me quoting Baldrick to genuinely call for the the killing of the upper classes

Yes you got me, I was 100% serious

🙄

OK, then. I'll delete that one (although it doesn't make it any less offensive because you're quoting someone else). That leaves us with three examples.

There's not much difference between them so get the plebs to argue among themselves again.Divide and rule.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 8th June 2024, 4:12 PM

Really? None at all? Even though you yourself are being extremely snobby yourself now?
Thank god we're likely to have a new government next month. Such views are best consigned to the dustbin of history.

I thought it was obvious I meant from her own side, after my previous posts. Either that or you are wilfully misreading my posts, which appears to be a habit of yours, no offence.

Much snobbery from the opposition after she got elected and promptly promoted to the shadow cabinet, of course. But she openly invites that and plays the victim with it to her advantage endlessly. She's a very canny and capable political operator, despite her lack of education, she's an old school left wing bruiser but it looks like new school centrist Starmer isn't comfortable with her at his back one bit. He's probably worried a knife might come out at any moment.

In modern political parties you have to appeal to a broad church of people, so Rayner serves a useful purpose in appeasing the left of the party. Blair had John Prescott.

Rishi kept Suella around for similar reasons - she wasn't remotely competent but keeping her in government kept the right of the party happy.

As always, when one of our politicians f**ks up, you can guarantee the orange man baby already went one better...

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, near Paris, in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that "the helicopter couldn't fly" and that the Secret Service wouldn't drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, "Why should I go to that cemetery? It's filled with losers." In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as "suckers" for getting killed.

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th June 2024, 11:42 AM

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit...

Of course one of the problems with cut & pasting without actually reading what you've pasted is that you might inadvertently end up with American spellings of certain words.

Count Binface to stand in Sunaks seat...

A completely pointless, time wasting clown with no decent ideas or policies - up against Count Binface

What happens when the Tory party just isn't nasty and bigoted enough for some people?

They slither off and start Reform!

A Reform UK candidate claimed the country would be "far better" if it had "taken Hitler up on his offer of neutrality" instead of fighting the Nazis in World War Two.

Ian Gribbin, the party's candidate in Bexhill and Battle, also wrote online that women were the "sponging gender" and should be "deprived of health care".

In posts from 2022 on the Unherd magazine website, seen by the BBC, he said Winston Churchill was "abysmal" and praised Russian President Vladimir Putin.

A Reform spokesman said the comments were not "endorsements" but "written with an eye to inconvenient perspectives and truths", while his remarks about women were "tongue in cheek".

Mr Gribbin declined to comment.

In July 2022, Mr Gribbin posted on the Unherd website: "Britain would be in a far better state today had we taken Hitler up on his offer of neutrality.... but oh no Britain's warped mindset values weird notions of international morality rather than looking after its own people."

The same month he wrote: "In Britain specifically we need to exorcise the cult of Churchill and recognize that in both policy and military strategy, he was abysmal."

Thank f**k these losers will only get about 2 or 3 seats - if they're lucky

The "get out of my fkn way grandad, I've got a plane to catch" - bounce

Labour leads by 26%. Tied-lowest ever Conservative %. Joint-highest ever Reform UK %.

🇬🇧 Westminster VI (7/6-10/6):
Labour 45% (+3)
Conservative 19% (-)
Reform UK 17% (-)
Lib Dem 10% (-2)
Green 5% (-1)
SNP 3% (-)
Other 1% (-1)

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th June 2024, 3:54 PM

What happens when the Tory party just isn't nasty and bigoted enough for some people?

They slither off and start Reform!

... ...

The same month he wrote: "In Britain specifically we need to exorcise the cult of Churchill and recognize that in both policy and military strategy, he was abysmal."

Thank f**k these losers will only get about 2 or 3 seats - if they're lucky

Why is the strategy wrong? I say, first, that it is because the Prime Minister, although possessing many other qualities, sometimes conceives of the war, it seems to me, in medieval terms, because he talks of it as if it were a tourney - Nye Bevan

Rishi Sunak's decision to leave the D-Day anniversary early is a total disaster for him and the Tories.
Totally politically inept.

It's a disaster for him. The Tories are aghast too. It takes the heat off Biden and crapgate though.