British Comedy Guide

General Election 2024 Page 13

I can definitely get Simon Bird 🤣

Starmer today calls Sunak a liar

That's quite unprecedented , calling an opponent a liar

Why he didn't make this accusation last night is anyone's guess...

Anyway, civil servants also said this claim didn't come from them (Sunak said it did - another lie)

Liars gotta lie

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th June 2024, 4:26 PM

Liars gotta lie

You mean like:

Jeremy Corbyn is a friend and colleague; Jeremy Corbyn has never been a friend?

As Owen Jones said in the Grauniad of 31 May 2022 when detailing all Starmer's lies and broken promises (though only up to that date of course):

if you care about Johnson's dishonesty but dismiss Starmer's, then do you really care about dishonesty at all?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/31/boris-johnson-dishonesty-keir-starmer-labour-abandoned-pledges

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th June 2024, 5:08 PM

You mean like:

Jeremy Corbyn is a friend and colleague; Jeremy Corbyn has never been a friend?

As Owen Jones said in the Grauniad of 31 May 2022 when detailing all Starmer's lies and broken promises (though only up to that date of course):

if you care about Johnson's dishonesty but dismiss Starmer's, then do you really care about dishonesty at all?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/31/boris-johnson-dishonesty-keir-starmer-labour-abandoned-pledges

Hell hath no fury like a Momentum activist scorned

Using the tories method to calculate Labours so called tax bombshell of £2k - the figure for the tories own plans wouldn't cost us £2k each

It would cost us all £3k each

Clowns

I genuinely think the Tories will get back in.

British political scientist Professor Sir John Curtice who is Britain's leading expert in election polling, says the tories have a 1% chance of winning

I think I'll take his opinion a bit more serious!

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th June 2024, 5:35 PM

Hell hath no fury like a Momentum activist scorned

Nevertheless facts are facts.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th June 2024, 6:14 PM

Nevertheless facts are facts.

Adjusting your party's position on certain policies when you're in opposition is inevitable. It is not remotely comparable to the massive blatant lies Johnson and Trump have told.
That article tells us more about Owen than it does about Keir!

It looks to me like another own goal following Kinnock and Milliband.

Quote: Chappers @ 5th June 2024, 6:53 PM

It looks to me like another own goal following Kinnock and Milliband.

What does?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 5th June 2024, 6:40 PM

Adjusting your party's position on certain policies when you're in opposition is inevitable. It is not remotely comparable to the massive blatant lies Johnson and Trump have told.
That article tells us more about Owen than it does about Keir!

We already know that Starmer is a proven liar (Jeremy Corbyn is a friend and colleague; Jeremy Corbyn has never been a friend). These are just more examples. And Jones's comment at the end of the article (if you care about Johnson's dishonesty but dismiss Starmer's, then do you really care about dishonesty at all?) therefore remains pertinent.

And you must rid yourself of this obsession with Trump. Nobody mentioned Trump and this is a thread on the UK General Elaction.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 5th June 2024, 7:08 PM

We already know that Starmer is a proven liar (Jeremy Corbyn is a friend and colleague; Jeremy Corbyn has never been a friend).

It's stretching things a bit to say these statements demonstrate Starmer is a "proven liar." They do not. I doubt that there are many people in public life, politician or otherwise, who could not be found to have contradicted themselves like this at some point. Are you a proven liar because you claim to be called 'Billy Bunter?' I would say not.
Nobody cares whether Starmer and Corbyn were friends or not. I suspect they were not! Nobody voted for anything based on that.
Compare it to:
Johnson's claims about how much we spent on EU membership and the claim that it would end up being spent on the NHS.
Johnson's robust denials to Michael Howard and the public about having an affair.
Johnson's multiple denials in Parliament about even knowing about the multiple Downing Street parties which he was in fact actively involved in.
Sunak's claims that the Treasury had "fully costed" Labour's tax plans.
Not the same thing!

Where is Johnson standing? Three consecutive sentences starting with his name, he must have snook in somewhere - which borough?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 6th June 2024, 5:54 AM

Are you a proven liar because you claim to be called 'Billy Bunter?' I would say not.

That has to be the most fatuous and irrelevant argument yet!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 6th June 2024, 5:54 AM

Compare it to:
Johnson's claims about how much we spent on EU membership and the claim that it would end up being spent on the NHS.
Johnson's robust denials to Michael Howard and the public about having an affair.
Johnson's multiple denials in Parliament about even knowing about the multiple Downing Street parties which he was in fact actively involved in.
Sunak's claims that the Treasury had "fully costed" Labour's tax plans.
Not the same thing!

A classic response to Owen Jones's comment: if you care about Johnson's dishonesty but dismiss Starmer's, then do you really care about dishonesty at all?. I think we all now know the answer to that!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 6th June 2024, 8:46 AM

That has to be the most fatuous and irrelevant argument yet!

A classic response to Owen Jones's comment: if you care about Johnson's dishonesty but dismiss Starmer's, then do you really care about dishonesty at all?. I think we all now know the answer to that!

Not really dishonesty is it? Starmer example you gave is feeble.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th June 2024, 7:46 AM

Where is Johnson standing? Three consecutive sentences starting with his name, he must have snook in somewhere - which borough?

Boris Johnson was PM between 2019 and 2022 and is thus responsible for much of the mess we are in now. You and other Tory supporters would understandably now prefer to pretend he never existed. The electorate haven't forgotten him!