British Comedy Guide

Inside No. 9 - Series 9 Page 2

Boo to a goose was very Twilight Zone

Loved this week's, my favourite of the series so far. Poor Reece.

Agreed, last night's weas excellent, good jokes, good concept, good plot. Although I probably should have seen it coming, those last few seconds made me guffaw.

I thought it was fine, but much preferred the previous two episodes. It seemed like they had the doorcam idea, then just worked a fairly basic story around it... Still, entertaining enough, and yes, a bit of humour this time.

I enjoyed it and thought it was a very clever use of a door cam.

Poor Popcorn, though 😢

Quote: a plate @ 24th May 2024, 1:38 AM

I thought it was fine, but much preferred the previous two episodes. It seemed like they had the doorcam idea, then just worked a fairly basic story around it... Still, entertaining enough, and yes, a bit of humour this time.

Yes, I'm absolutely certain they started with the cam idea and worked up from there, but I thought the gags were strong, with just enough of an undercurrent of the unsettling (regardless of what happened or didn't in the episode, the marriage is clearly a somewhat problematic one).

I thought tonight's episode, 'CTRL ALT ESC', was quite good, although that twist seemed very familiar, like they've done it before or some other film/programme has in recent years.
EDIT: I realise where I saw it now, but won't mention it here due to spoilers etc.

Still, quite powerful stuff, not exactly very comedic (although a couple of funny bits early on, like shining the torch upside down).

Quite enjoyed it, with a nice confusing twist at the end................can't say anymore

Reminded me a tad of 12 Days of Christine, which is one of my all time favourites.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th May 2024, 11:11 PM

Quite enjoyed it, with a nice confusing twist at the end................can't say anymore

Reminded me a tad of 12 Days of Christine, which is one of my all time favourites.

Yes. I very much agree. Great episode.

For the first half I thought it was OK, but rather on the nose in terms of the horror elements and the family drama. But then it changed, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - yes, they and others have done something similar before, but I thought it was good.

My only question (which we can answer later to avoid spoilers), is when the mother and older daughter were talking next to the filing cabinet, who was supposed to be seeing that?

Probably the least satisfying this week, but I enjoyed the MR James vibe and the slow pacing. not quite convinced by the supernatural legal loophole, but still.

Quote: gappy @ 7th June 2024, 6:10 PM

Probably the least satisfying this week, but I enjoyed the MR James vibe and the slow pacing. not quite convinced by the supernatural legal loophole, but still.

Yep, totally agree. I liked it more than the doorcam business - I like the atmospheric and traditional feel, MR James came to mind for me too, the music... but an abrupt ending which didn't entirely make sense.

I think the next episode is the last one ever, so I imagine they'll be doing something a bit special for that.

Well, yet again I have to disagree as I found it most enjoyable, being well written for one with just enough creepiness.

Quote: gappy @ 1st June 2024, 5:02 PM

For the first half I thought it was OK, but rather on the nose in terms of the horror elements and the family drama. But then it changed, and I thoroughly enjoyed it - yes, they and others have done something similar before, but I thought it was good.

My only question (which we can answer later to avoid spoilers), is when the mother and older daughter were talking next to the filing cabinet, who was supposed to be seeing that?

Hmmm. I see what you mean. Good episode though.

On second thoughts, it does make sense. I can't explain without spoiling the end though!