British Comedy Guide

Hi from the Midlands

Hi all,
I'm a British citizen, male, getting on a bit and remember the Les Dawson and Bernard Manning era and then some! I discovered a few years ago I had a knack for writing social and political satire. I don't know if there's a specific name for it, but I take news headlines and write original satirical pieces on them. I'm told they're good, but I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder.

I've got a folder full of the stuff I've written and am now making one of these free websites that last forever to put them on. I find today's comedy bland at best due to PC and I'm not a professional writer, but I'm always on the lookout for tips and tricks from kindred spirits. Long live Mr Bean and Monty Python!

Welcome, John! Hope you stick around. As you're a writer, the 'Critique' forum might be of interest, where people sometimes post their own stuff - including the regular written comedy sketch competition (usually a thread that has a reference to the Spice Girls, but you'll get used to such, er, quirkiness) which can be fun. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/critique/

Hi plate,
Thanks for your reply, which I shall treasure forever as it's the only one I've had! You must be officer of the watch, it's either gone very quiet here or I thought I was being ignored. :)
I'm currently getting stuff ready for my website, a few at once and then one every week or so to keep the search engines interested. I'll spend a little time reading through the posts first to get the hang of it and see if I can spot any kindred spirits.

Well, after days only one reply. It's very quiet here, is anyone using this forum anymore?

Yes, sorry. I've not responded earlier because the writing of comedy is not my forte. I'm more interested in the nostalgia & history aspect. I too don't receive many responses when I post on those subjects. But I persevere. Post something controversial on to the "I Read the News Oh Boy" thread (I note your comment of "news headlines" and "satirical pieces") and you might get some response - abusive or otherwise. Or, as already mentioned, the "critique" threads might be a place to post.

Hello there! I love comedy but don't really write any as I'm too lazy. I do, however, love comedy and most people whom I meet in real life don't have the breadth of knowledge I do - therefore you'll find a cornucopia of people on here who can remember every episode of 'Dear John' or suchlike. Welcome.

I've not been well for the past few months, but after a prostate operation that cost me an arm and a leg I feel well enough to get back into the swing of things. I'm an amateur when it comes to writing comedy, but over the years I've written dribs and drabs of original material when I'm in the mood and I'm in the process of putting it on a freebie website as a blog.

It's here as a showcase and I've also put it on the critique thread. Let's see if I get any replies.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/37156/

That's quite a prostrate operation. Did the Doctors not really know what they're doing?

Welcome. I've just had my gall bladder removed but I think thy managed to contain the problem.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th July 2024, 8:10 PM

I've just had my gall bladder removed but I think thy managed to contain the problem.

Oh my God, he's not going to let us forget it 😮

Quote: Chappers @ 12th July 2024, 8:10 PM

That's quite a prostrate operation. Did the Doctors not really know what they're doing?

Welcome. I've just had my gall bladder removed but I think thy managed to contain the problem.

After eight months with a catheter, in and out of hospital with infections, the dangerous drug side effects of oral morphine and Ofloxacin, the pain ... My urology consultant shuffled me on to another one because my prostate was too big for him to do a TURP operation on (110 and growing) and I decided to go private for a HoLEP operation. In and out of NHS hospitals with infections and I was getting nowhere. I'm getting on a bit in years and going private is expensive on state pension credits so I had to dig into savings, but the best decision I ever made!

Anyway, although months later I'm still recovering I feel a 100% better. :) It gave me time to look through the folders I've saved and my writings and I found the original satire pieces I'd written and decided to make a blog of them a bit at a time. A way to go yet and I still need to get them to a wider audience on social media so it's a never ending project, but as I'm retired I've plenty of time.

The website itself is a freebie one so I'm limited on design and the pop-up ads are beyond my control, but I'm specifically looking for feedback on content.