British Comedy Guide

Vintage adverts Page 77

1935....................my late aunt used to wear this, which was one of the few available in post war Britain - it's funny how odd things like that stick in your mind from childhood

1954..................from the days when a lighter to go with your Christmas presentation box of 50 fags was a very welcome gift

1925 Radio Times..............

Playboy 1970........................

Radio Times 1924...................

Radio Times 1925...............

£15.15.0 = 15 pounds, 15 shillings and no pence. Known also as 15 guineas (even today in horse racing circles), which is £15.75 in today's money.

Doesn't seem much, until you realise the average weekly wage then was about £5, making that loudspeaker 3 times a man's wages, and £15 in today's money would be about £750!! Compare that to a top of the range Bose speaker today, which would cost you about £170, so you can see how expensive "Hi Fi" was in the Art Deco Roaring Twenties period!

If nothing, you learn a bit of history with the Herc Vintage Ad thread! I thangyow.......................

And here is the front cover of that Radio Times, with a rich family enjoying the music with their expensive sound system!! Note the speaker in the bottom right corner

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th December 2023, 9:09 AM

I suppose he sang the theme tune for the TV advert.

A whatever happened to them Toys R Us advert from 1991..............

Radio Times 1924...............

1924 Radio Times.............