British Comedy Guide

Fashion Trend (Short Animation)

Hi All

Another short cartoon of mine:

https://youtu.be/HZ8ijK_oWEk

Critique everything if you want to (script, music, voices, animation, editing, whatever).

Kind Regards
Stuart

Thanks for the Christmas treat. I like the opening with the front door to the building and the interviewer has a good voice. Still no pigeon though but hopefully one day it will make an appearance. It feels like the interviewer should say more at the end and it's a missed opportunity. To end with the focus on the dirty underpants isn't giving the sequence full credit it deserves. Excellent sound and animation and I can see more facial features in this video. The way the lips move reminds me of Willo the Wisp :D

Cheers DT. One day I will have to make a cartoon that's nothing but pigeons :-).

I had never heard of Willo the Wisp until you mentioned it. I looked it up on YouTube. Very surprised swamp gas was popular or famous enough to warrant a whole cartoon series with it as the lead.

I really liked that one, nice and quick, and good characterisation(and very grim pants, well done).

Will o' the Wisp was great, mostly because Kenneth Williams did the voices.

Love the voice overs, animation and production. I'm guessing you're still a one person show, which makes it all the more impressive. But for me (and it may just be me) I thought the punchline was too obvious. May I ask how long it took to put together ? I ask because when I had a bash at animation it was still acetates and stop frame. Took forever. I read Disney cartoons used 24 frames per second.

Quote: gappy @ 17th December 2023, 9:38 AM

I really liked that one, nice and quick, and good characterisation(and very grim pants, well done).

Will o' the Wisp was great, mostly because Kenneth Williams did the voices.

Thanks Gappy! It's odd that I missed "Willo the Wisp". Think I was born a few years too late for it.

Quote: Firkin @ 17th December 2023, 11:51 AM

Love the voice overs, animation and production. I'm guessing you're still a one person show, which makes it all the more impressive. But for me (and it may just be me) I thought the punchline was too obvious. May I ask how long it took to put together ? I ask because when I had a bash at animation it was still acetates and stop frame. Took forever. I read Disney cartoons used 24 frames per second.

Thanks Firkin! Yep, all me (script, animation, music, voices). I was wondering if the punchline might be a bit obvious. Hard to say how long it took - I made it over a period of about three months, but I was doing a bunch of other things at the same time (other projects, work). It's made mostly with Blender (3D animation software) with some cel shading. I'm definitely not fast and good enough at drawing to do a decent frame-by-frame 2D cartoon.

You're not only good enough but have a unique style and seem happy doing your own thing which is refreshing to any fan of animation. People grow to appreciate an individual style and follow it to see how it matures over the years and decades. The audio is excellent and I know only too well from making DJ mix videos how tricky and hair pulling recording can be. There's a lot more to it than just setting up a microphone with the post production mixing and editing.

Thanks DT. Definitely, recording and editing audio can be tricky. Actually, at 00:07 (or 00:08. I don't have headphones with me right now) there's a quick noise that might sound like a mic problem but I think it's just the dialogue and music coming together in a strange way. Maybe if I were better, I'd find a way of getting rid of it.

Music-wise, I probably should have found a more realistic piano sound. Also, I wonder if I'm a musical hack for making the music one bar-per-second so that it was easier to time?