British Comedy Guide

Status report Page 6,174

Yes, it is the rigidity of the modern man made world that's at fault, if there's any fault at all. In times past, we'd have stayed in our caves until it got light and the dangerous animals were in bed. Now it's us in our our man made machines which are the danger.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th October 2023, 7:54 AM

And of course anyone who bemoans the encroachment of Americanisms into the language is going to have a real problem with "Fall back".

Yes Autumn back doesn't quite make sense does it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th October 2023, 9:15 AM

But of course we are now at the correct time (GMT); the one that nature - and the position of the sun - intended. It was the one that ended yesterday (BST) - the one which results in darker mornings - which is the man-made one.

Yes. Why not keep the Winter clocks all year? Is there a logical reason?

Quote: Chappers @ 29th October 2023, 9:47 AM

Yes Autumn back doesn't quite make sense does it.

😁

Quote: Chappers @ 29th October 2023, 9:47 AM

Yes. Why not keep the Winter clocks all year? Is there a logical reason?

If my memory serves me correct (which is unlikely), they tried to stick to the BST in the late 1960s (that is don't put the clocks back in October), but the farmers were all up in arms because they lost valuable daylight hours in the early morning.

Summat like that, or was it Summer like that

BST was brought in during the 1st world war to enable farmers to have lighter evenings to bring in the harvest.

ROSPA want to keep to BST all year round (which would abolish the natural status of GMT altogether and we'd be living by unnatural sunlight hours for evermore) to reduce late afternoon accidents on the way home from work/school, . Of course this would only increase the likelihood of accidents in the morning on the way to work/school. Especially in Scotland. Other advocates of keeping BST permanently maintain that it would reduce lighting/heating costs in the evening. But it would increase lighting/heating costs in the mornings.

At the end of the day (literally!), there will still only be the same amount of hours of daylight. What we gain one end we're going to lose the other end. And what suits northern Scotland may not suit Southern England.

Personally I rather like the longer summer evenings.

Of course what I meant to say was it was kept in after both wars to keep death off the roads, at least that was the reason govts always gave when its continued use was questioned. The original reason was for saving energy and helping the war effort but it proved to be negligible for both, I believe. Farmers get up in the dark everyday and often work well into the evening so I don't see how it helps them.

I don't quite see the continued point of it, like Billy says, you can't control the amount of daylight you get from the seasonal rotation of the planet, we are destined to have longer days followed by longer nights. And BST will not take over all year, GMT is like the £ to Britain, unthinkable of us replacing it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th October 2023, 11:00 AM

If my memory serves me correct, they tried to stick to the BST in the late 1960s (that is don't put the clocks back in October), but the farmers were all up in arms because they lost valuable daylight hours in the early morning.

You both clearly did not believe me and chose to ignore my post. So there................. 😛

"With the war over, Britain returned to British Summer Time except for an experiment between 1968 and 1971 when the clocks went forward but were not put back. The experiment was discontinued as it was found impossible to assess the advantages and disadvantages of British Summer Time"

Royal Museums Greenwich https://www.rmg.co.uk

You didn't even believe yourself:

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th October 2023, 11:00 AM

If my memory serves me correct (which is unlikely)

:D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th October 2023, 12:11 AM

You both clearly did not believe me and chose to ignore my post. So there................. 😛

"With the war over, Britain returned to British Summer Time except for an experiment between 1968 and 1971 when the clocks went forward but were not put back. The experiment was discontinued as it was found impossible to assess the advantages and disadvantages of British Summer Time"

Royal Museums Greenwich https://www.rmg.co.uk

Or more likely, the new Conservative Govt. didn't agree with it replacing the historic GMT.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th October 2023, 7:42 AM

You didn't even believe yourself:

See, I'm not as cranky as I thought

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th October 2023, 8:02 AM

Or more likely, the new Conservative Govt. didn't agree with it replacing the historic GMT.

Don't think so, it's become clearer now, and the farmers were a big influence

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 30th December 2022, 8:22 AM

(lost a crown over a croissant the day before Christmas Eve). Saw the dentist on the 28th and made an appointment for an extraction.

Another 30th of the month and another tooth extraction this afternoon.

On the plus side I am the new favourite for this year's Stars in their Eyes. "Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be Shane MacGowan."

Best of luck - not a nice call, but always good to get it out of the way before Christmas.

I wish I had moore teeth to take out.

Quote: zooo @ 29th October 2023, 9:42 AM

I thought it was something to do with lighter mornings for farmers?

I doubt that Farmers pay much attention to BST/GMT changes, they more likely go by the Sun, because that's what the farm animals will do.

The cows will line up to be milked etc & they certainly don't understand about daylight savings time.

Quote: zooo @ 29th October 2023, 9:42 AM

I thought it was something to do with lighter mornings for farmers?

Exactly - don't you go on a listenin' to them there city fellers.

Quote: billwill @ 30th October 2023, 12:48 PM

I doubt that Farmers pay much attention to BST/GMT changes, they more likely go by the Sun, because that's what the farm animals will do.

The cows will line up to be milked etc & they certainly don't understand about daylight savings time.

Natch; BUT, the farmers need the extra daylight in the morning, and that is why they welcomed the continuation of GMT

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th October 2023, 3:42 PM

Natch; BUT, the farmers need the extra daylight in the morning, and that is why they welcomed the continuation of BST

But BST gives you darker mornings. It is the evenings that are lighter.