British Comedy Guide

Poker in the rear! Page 7

I like Hellmuth, if only for his tantrums - and to be 10 bob behind him.
Daniel Negreanu purposely winds him up while keeping an innocent face.

Devilfish was a great player and had a very dry wit.

I loved the Devil Fish and I agree Hellmuth is fun to watch when he loses as he blames the person who beats him for not doing what he he expects them to do. In fairness Hellmuth's bracelets are from a time when there were way less entrants.
I love Negranu when he calls out other peoples hands , and the range he plays is amazing as is Gus Hansens.
I'm not a fan of the cash games with rebuys as a billionaire armature can just shove and rebuy if they lose.
The likes of Dwan and Ivy are amazing cash players, but for me tournament play is the better game and they offer the chance of satellite entries as well.

I also admire the ones who had the guts to completely quit while ahead.
Vanessa Selbst took her millions and got a normal job
Tony G - the mad Russian
And Doug Polk whom I took a few lessons from.

I had no idea you were a friend of the stars Ste :) I still like watching old school C4 After Dark with the Devil Fish , Rav Pete the Bandit and Liam Flood etc, That Mad Marty seems to be a well respected ref now you see him on the WSOP final tables etc,

I paid Doug. Well worth the money

"Stephen I paid Doug. Well worth the money'

From a Yorkshire lad I would take that as a ringing endorsement. We use to play 20 quid limit games at a mates house to keep it friendly and the lad who's house we played at was so nervous about betting we called him the 'Stuttering Elbow'.

I very rarely play cash games. Low stakes aren't worth the stress and high stakes are dangerous.
I mainly play £5, £10 and £30 tournaments (usually bounty hunters) where there are up to 1000 entrants.
That way - you know your losses before the game starts.
Above £30 stakes and you are in with the pro's who make their living from poker. (and the crazy colluding Russians)
I've been profitable for the last few years (as my Sharkscope profile will tell) and make regular withdrawals as a second income.
But more than any of that - it's great fun and I treat it as that.

I agree about keeping it fun and low but with your win rate it won't be long before the Hendon Mob start selling your stats .

If it's Vicky - I don't mind.

Years ago my dad was invited by a pro to join his prestigious cash game at his home which my dad politely declined. All kinds of signal shenanigans going on.

I liked the dealer Marina Kremser on Late Night Poker. She always took the players' ribbing with good humour. Surinder Sunar was my favourite because of his aggressive play and having the definition of a poker face. Very difficult to read which made him a dangerous player.

Played in a tournament on Pokerstars last night and within the first few hands I flopped a 4 of a kind with pocket 6's. Doubled up with that and won a few more hands to have a stack of 23,000 by the time the re-buys finished but it was 11pm and I was too tired to carry on so went to bed leaving myself to be anted to death. Moral of the story is not to start a tournament at 9pm when I've been up since 7am.

Was just listening to a podcast about Poker with Jim Jefferies
Apparently first played in the 1830's by French settlers in New Orleans
And there were only 20 cards in a pack originally all face cards
numbers came later.

I did like the term for an Ace King off suit in Texas Holdem
They called it an Anna Kournikova
because it was pretty but rarely wins anything

Many years ago, while playing golf, I used to hear a similar one-liner.
On the tee, if someone 'topped the ball but it shot along the fairway at great speed someone would always say 'A Sally Gunnel.
Ugly but a good runner.

I've been diving into the world of poker lately, and I gotta say, it's been a blast.

I've been watching youtube vids of poker tournaments and it's amazing what the players get away with these days. Leaving the table during a hand, talking when not involved in a pot, wearing headphones and looking at their phones all while the tournament director turns a blind eye because they are the big draws players. Some of them look daft covering up from head to toe like they're at the Antarctic to try and eliminate tells. If anything to an astute player it probably emphasises the tells more not less. Posture is a big giveaway and big, bright clothes are easier to notice in the peripheral vision. I would wear all black like a theatre stagehand and black leather gloves like Shaft. Face makeup might be going too far.