British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

British Comedy Quiz Page 55

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 13th September 2023, 10:29 AM

Kicking myself (not literally) for not remembering the name of the restaurant in Goremet Night, as that's a personal favourite.

Ye Gods man, if you could not remember the name of your personal favourite Gourmet Night, with a question that was bleedin' obvious which one of the five it was - come round here and I'll give you the kicking 🤬

Who did Al Gore meet then? snigger

C-. MUST try harder.
There were some tough questions though.

Thank you Michael, I said to Mark as long none of the regulars here get 10/10. 🙂 So far so good. There are quite a few FT quizzes on line and if I'd followed the usual lists of Qs for all this lot then everyone here and many others would have got 15/15. So I tried for a new angle where poss plus a couple of Qs you'll find elsewhere.

Quote: Niki Walton @ 13th September 2023, 10:33 AM

7/10 and 2/5, not as high as I would have hoped, caught out by some good fiendish questions there.

Got 1-5, 7, 10, 13-14 correct. Well done Alfred J Kipper, great variety of questions.

Thank you Nikki, if YOU only got 7/10 I must have succeeded. Actually that pattern of correct scores from you and Billy is what I expected, the first five were gimmees to get you in then the net tightens. I said Q10 would be for anoraks only so you and A Plate can count yourselves as ones.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th September 2023, 9:13 AM

5/10 and 1/5 - there were some tough ones there, and I'm not sure about questions that refer to actors appearing in other sitcoms (9 and 14), otherwise a very good quiz.

Mind you, Question 1 was a bit bleedin' obvious, given the choices! I knew the answer anyway, which stood out like a sore thumb!

Funnily enough I only moved it to Q1 in the last shuffle because I thought it was a giveaway, to get people going. But it foiled a couple here. The idea of all the duck and oriental choices was to connect it to the duck he ordered and throw you off the scent. (But it also made it stand out, yes.)

Q9 Only one of the five options did that and it was so specific it should have been fairly obvious to discount.

Q14 Well no it was the opposite, to be fair, they were both other sitcom actors appearing in FT and one of them was very well known, as was his single ep role in FT. Thanks hope you liked it.

Thanks for that Alf

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th September 2023, 8:33 AM

Thank you, and I think the dust is settled on that one now - so, when you are ready. 😊

OK then! SPOILER ALERT: my answers for your additional ones from last week (as I said, I only know 11, 13 and 14 for sure, the others would be complete guesses)

11. Who was the star of the sitcom Oh Brother!? - Derek Nimmo

12. What was the name of Bernard Manning's nightclub? - guess, Embassy Club Leisure Bar

13. In the Harry & Paul TV series, what were the characters Sheridan and Charles? - Surgeons

14. In Father Ted episode The Mainland, Dougal and Ted find themselves outside a famous network of caves - who do they upset, resulting in Ted getting beaten up? - Richard Wilson, I love this episode!

15. What connects the comedians Jimmy Wheeler, Ted Ray and Vic Oliver? - guess, They all wore a large carnation in their lapel

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 13th September 2023, 3:53 PM

I said Q10 would be for anoraks only so you and A Plate can count yourselves as ones.

Hurrah! Funny how the brain works (well, mine, anyway) I got Q10 but not the supposedly easy Q1!

I said Q10 would be for anoraks only so you and A Plate can count yourselves as ones.

I remember noting that detail on one of my very earliest viewings of that episode when I was about 10 or 11 years old 🤓

I got that too! Easy one I thought, as I remember quite clearly he looked up at Sybil as he was reading it.

Quote: a plate @ 13th September 2023, 8:10 PM

OK then! SPOILER ALERT: my answers for your additional ones from last week (as I said, I only know 11, 13 and 14 for sure, the others would be complete guesses)

11. Who was the star of the sitcom Oh Brother!? - Derek Nimmo

12. What was the name of Bernard Manning's nightclub? - guess, Embassy Club Leisure Bar

13. In the Harry & Paul TV series, what were the characters Sheridan and Charles? - Surgeons

14. In Father Ted episode The Mainland, Dougal and Ted find themselves outside a famous network of caves - who do they upset, resulting in Ted getting beaten up? - Richard Wilson, I love this episode!

15. What connects the comedians Jimmy Wheeler, Ted Ray and Vic Oliver? - guess, They all wore a large carnation in their lapel

4 out of 5 😁 You got 15 wrong, of which you need to be ancient to remember them and their gimmick - I'll leave it until Billy answers, as I expect he will know.

Ok. If I were a betting man, I'd happily have a treble on: Derek Nimmo, Richard Wilson and Violins.

The Embassy Club rings a bell but I'd only back it each way.

I'd guess at hairdressers but, as I say, I can't get Julian & Sandy out of my mind for that one (not that they were necessarily hairdressers I know).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th September 2023, 8:01 AM

Ok. If I were a betting man, I'd happily have a treble on: Derek Nimmo, Richard Wilson and Violins.

The Embassy Club rings a bell but I'd only back it each way.

I'd guess at hairdressers but, as I say, I can't get Julian & Sandy out of my mind for that one (not that they were necessarily hairdressers I know).

Bit around the houses, but yes (I think) having now dug it out of your reply 😁 They used to come on with a violin and usually played same.

So, here's another bit of related (useless) trivia - what other comedian had the gimmick of a violin? Not British, hence he wasn't put in my quiz.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th September 2023, 8:44 AM

So, here's another bit of related (useless) trivia - what other comedian had the gimmick of a violin? Not British, hence he wasn't put in my quiz.

Jack Benny. Funnily enough I immediately thought of him when I first read your original question.

Yes, and we oldies must stick together - I'll always ensure I offer up a pre-war question in my quizzes just for us lot.

just done Quiz 269 Abit late to the party with this, i only got 5.

it was really hard this time.

Quote: george roper @ 14th September 2023, 1:43 PM

just done Quiz 269 Abit late to the party with this, i only got 5.

it was really hard this time.

Welcome back George - long time no see! Glad to see you're still about 😊

Quiz 272. "Good luck getting more than 5", it says! "Now, there's a challenge", I says!
I got 2/10.