British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

British Comedy Quiz Page 52

And living next door to the Goldsteins 😂

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2023, 8:21 AM

The Comic Strip was a bit of a mixed bag. The Alexei Sayle episode was a gem, though.
It's funny (not in that sense), but even though I'm a Young Ones admirer, I'm not a huge fan of their other stuff, except Happy Families, which is the one no one else knows. Catflap is shoddy and don't get me started on Bottoms (or take that sentence out of context).
Anyway, great quiz. I must still have that Young Ones book in the attic, alongside my Just William books, New Order vinyl and mother.

I've not seen the Alexei episode in years so will have to watch that again. I'm not sure why but I've never warmed to Keith Allen as a comedy actor and have never seen The Bullshitters although I remember seeing it listed on one of the box set disks. He's always seemed out of place with the alternative comedy scene regulars and Dawn French doesn't hold back on the extras disk from the Comic Strip boxset when talking about Keith Allen saying how he used them to develop his career but would take the piss out of them. I remember his character on Saturday Night Live where he wears a balaclava and I think it was that character that Dawn is referring to. I can only assume the other guys felt the same as Dawn.

Rik Mayall said in an interview he would have liked to have been in more Comic Strip but Peter Richardson was known for calling people at short notice so sometimes Rik wanted to be involved but was already committed to other projects. In a way it was beneficial to some of the episodes that Rik was absent because he always brought a very strong comic screen presence. Supergrass would have been very different if Rik was in it even as a cameo. Some of the newer comic strippers like Gary Beadle and Phil Cornwell fitted in but it still lost that Comic Strip vibe as the original cast left.

I'm going to have to watch Four Men In A Car now for Jennifer's hilarious scenes.

Nah, it's shit.
The Young Ones was a breath of fresh air. Their other stuff was crap.

Quiz 268 by Hercules. Found this one difficult! Just 4/10 for me, and I only knew two of them for definite (the ones about Black Books and Green Wing).
Correct answers: 2, 4, 5, 10.

Well, 10/10 for me. Which surprised me, probably more than it surprises you.

Three I definitely didn't know and were complete guesses (numbers 5, 9, & 10) and a couple of others were a toss up between two possibilities and I came down in favour of the right one. Like Sgt Bilko before me, this is clearly shaping up to be my "perfect day". I must away and back a few horses now before it runs out.

Knew four and five too. The rest were wild guesses so they don't really count.

2 out of 10!
A hard one but good to be challenged.
Clearly skewed towards older comedies which is fair enough.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 23rd August 2023, 8:37 AM

Well, 10/10 for me. Which surprised me, probably more than it surprises you.

Three I definitely didn't know and were complete guesses (numbers 5, 9, & 10) and a couple of others were a toss up between two possibilities and I came down in favour of the right one. Like Sgt Bilko before me, this is clearly shaping up to be my "perfect day". I must away and back a few horses now before it runs out.

Well done!

Nice one Herc, very pleased with my 7/10 and 4/5 there especially considering how many questions were of comedy from before my time. Oddly (or maybe not) the final question was the easiest for me :)

A pleasing 8/10 which reveals I'm younger than Herc and Billy and just a few weeks older than Chris and Nikki. Toughest and favourite question for me was the comedy song one, which I got through a process of knowing it wasn't two of the others and suspecting it wasn't the other two and then realising it did look like something the person who did it would do.

And can I just correct a blaring error by the setter on Q5 please 'What was Green Wing about?' as surely it should read 'What the f**k was Green Wing all about?' You see how editors are sometimes needed Herc.

Only 5 out of 10. Most of them were before my time! I guessed the Jimmy Jewell one because I knew it wouldn't be the others.

It's good to be back, now the dust has settled on "Editgate" 😁

WOW! What a mixed bag of results, and I thought it was an easy one, as despite what Chris said ("Clearly skewed towards older comedies"), I suppose it depends on what you call older comedies, which I would have thought were right up his street, given the excellent treatment he did with his "I'm All Right Jack", which is one of my all-time favourite films!!

I like to think I give a good spread in my quizzes, and would never ask, for example (!!!!!), the birth date of anyone! Who the F knows the birthday of any celeb, no matter how famous - not unless you are a complete nut on that person. And I know nothing about comedy podcasts.
So, if I may just justify myself :-

Big School was from 2013/14
Bernie Clifton is still often on television and appeared in the comedy drama "Up North" as recently as 2017
Tommy Cooper - well, everyone should know who he is and know of his works
Black Books was from 2000/04
Green Wing was from 2004/07
Ain't Half Hot - 1970/80
Ripping Yarns - 1979
Selwyn Froggitt - late 70s
Hi De Hi - 1980/88

OK "Whack-O!", is going back a bit, but the rest are hardly of the post war era, and should be in people's memory, IF they consider themselves a British comedy buff.

Congrats to Niki, Billy and maybe Dave ("Most of them were before my time!" What a load of bollocks!) 😁, who should have done better, considering he's an old fart, like me.

My mother gives a good spread too.

Hello folks!

Nice quiz Herc. I scored 7 out of 10 on the regular questions.

I correctly answered: Q1, Q3, Q4, Q5, Q6, Q7, Q8.
I incorrectly answered: Q2, Q9, Q10.

See you all next week.

Thank you JJ, and as Brucie used to say "Didn't he do well!"

Yes, Ripping Yarns from 1979 before your time I expect, but you want to check it out. You can get the complete series DVD for about a fiver.

"The Testing Of Eric Olthwaite" was one of my favourite episodes - very funny

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th August 2023, 9:28 AM

Bernie Clifton is still often on television and appeared in the comedy drama "Up North" as recently as 2017

You'll be able to see him live at your local theatre on 11 October. Along with Freddie "Parrot Face" Davies:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 22nd August 2023, 9:34 AM

Catch the Legends of Variety tour this September & October if you can with Freddy "Parrot Face" Davies and others:

Tour dates:

Thu, 7th September 2023
Plaza Theatre, Stockport

Wed, 13th September 2023
Queen's Theatre, Barnstaple

Thu, 14th September 2023
Lighthouse, Poole

Wed, 20th September 2023
Theatre Royal, Nottingham

Thu, 21st September 2023
Stafford Gatehouse Theatre, Stafford

Wed, 27th September 2023