British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,622

That was insurance. As Billy says nothing** is absolute. I'd rather use expert trades men than av a bash myself though.

The common cons are insurances and warranties for £50 when £48 goes on admin, advertising and making you give up the will to live if you ever try to claim.

Edit ** almost nothing

Quote: Lazzard @ 18th July 2023, 10:42 PM

Why?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 19th July 2023, 8:58 AM

Very good question.
Why on Earth would the government want to prolong the pandemic?
Any answers?
Because it sounds like nonsense.

I wasn't suggesting they wanted to prolong the actual pandemic. Just the lockdowns. We had three remember. And the rules that went with them.

Why? Because, as I would have thought you would have been well aware, many politicians, scientists and other "experts" had interests in companies producing the vaccines, masks and protective equipment.

Meanwhile the "experts" who were regularly called on by the media to give their opinions and projections (and were no doubt well paid for doing so) would have been reluctant to give up their 15 minutes of fame until they had to.

Seriously? That's really your argument?

And that's your counter-argument?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th July 2023, 9:49 AM

And that's your counter-argument?

Totally absurd. Do you have any hard evidence your conspiracy theory that scientists and politician a dreamed up the lockdowns to make big bucks?
Ridiculous.
Trump lost in 2020 largely due to his mishandling of the pandemic. The lockdowns undeniably harmed the economy. How does that help the government?
And I think the pundits would have been busy enough with a pandemic on anyway even without the lockdowns don't you? Assuming they weren't all dead.

I think plenty did.
Much like plenty of people made money out of WW2.
Private Walker may have been sad to see hostilities cease - but I'm not sure he was in a position to make them continue.

I don't think that's why WWII or the lockdowns happened though, do you?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 19th July 2023, 9:55 AM

Totally absurd. Do you have any hard evidence your conspiracy theory that scientists and politician a dreamed up the lockdowns to make big bucks?
Ridiculous.

Again, you mis-quote what I said. I didn't say they dreamed up lockdown for that purpose. I said that (once in place) it was in their interests to prolong the lockdowns for as long as possible.

I must say you're one of the last people I would have expected to defend the Conservative government from accusations of corruption and cronyism. But good on you for your fairmindedness, even if, in this instance, misplaced.

Anyhow, here's three links to be going on with (I'm sure you can find many more with a quick google if you feel it necessary). You will see from the first one that even Angela Raynor disagrees with you:

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2825

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1072

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/17/world/europe/britain-covid-contracts.html

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th July 2023, 10:23 AM

Again, you mis-quote what I said. I didn't say they dreamed up lockdown for that purpose. I said that (once in place) it was in their interests to prolong the lockdowns for as long as possible.

I must say you're one of the last people I would have expected to defend the Conservative government from accusations of corruption and cronyism. But good on you for your fairmindedness, even if, in this instance, misplaced.

Anyhow, here's three links to be going on with (I'm sure you can find many more with a quick google if you feel it necessary). You will see from the first one that even Angela Raynor disagrees with you:

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2825

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1072

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/17/world/europe/britain-covid-contracts.html

Dodgy contracts awarded? Case proven.
Were the lockdowns extended unnecessarily? Case unproven.
Sounds like you didn't oppose the lockdowns in principle at all then? You just disliked how long they lasted?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 19th July 2023, 9:35 AM

..... Why? Because, as I would have thought you would have been well aware, many politicians, scientists and other "experts" had interests in companies producing the vaccines, masks and protective equipment.

Meanwhile the "experts" who were regularly called on by the media to give their opinions and projections (and were no doubt well paid for doing so) would have been reluctant to give up their 15 minutes of fame until they had to.

So ?
Check out the acclaimed movie Help, which highlighted the counter argument for risking a laxer approach. Lives lost unecceserily, ptsd for underpaid carers, disenfranchised nhs workers - to risk prolonging that would have made waiting list and recruitment crisis even worse. Less of the two evils.

Anything done in a rush will have more loopholes - Taiwan and South Korea were far better prepared. We need a government that plans ahead.

Great movie btw. And according to my friend who worked in a care home, accurately observed. It showcases the acting range of the star of killing Eve . https://m.imdb.com/title/tt13649036/

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 19th July 2023, 10:16 AM

I don't think that's why WWII or the lockdowns happened though, do you?

Clearly not.

Quote: chipolata @ 19th July 2023, 5:41 AM

You've never trusted government, DaButt.

It would be foolish to put one's full faith in the government if for no other reason than the fact that it's run by politicians. I trust in the institution, but distrust comes naturally whenever politicians try to overstep their bounds in the quest for political, financial, or personal gains - or merely to increase their grip on the steering wheel of power.

Quote: chipolata @ 19th July 2023, 5:41 AM

As I understand it the core of your belief in the right to bear arms is that the government can't be trusted, and you need weapons top protect yourselves from them.

Sorry, but after all these years of discussing the topic, you still don't understand my beliefs. My beliefs come from the Constitution, which explicitly provides Americans the right to bear arms. Until I am provided with the same 24/7 armed security details that the politicians who would like to disarm law-abiding Americans are afforded, I will continue to exercise my right to possess firearms in order to protect myself against persons (or animals) who might seek to harm me.

The fact that a few hundred million guns in the hands of American citizens would greatly complicate a government's (our own, or another nation's) attempts to subjugate the citizens by force - that's just a nice little bonus, not one of the cores of my beliefs.

Quote: DaButt @ 19th July 2023, 2:10 PM

It would be foolish to put one's full faith in the government if for no other reason than the fact that it's run by politicians. I trust in the institution, but distrust comes naturally whenever politicians try to overstep their bounds in the quest for political, financial, or personal gains - or merely to increase their grip on the steering wheel of power.

I disagree. There are plenty of bad apples, but most politicians on both sides of the fence are hardworking and decent. The Farages, Johnsons and Trumps of this world only thrive by promoting this cynical view that all politicians are as terrible as they are.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 20th July 2023, 5:54 AM

I disagree. There are plenty of bad apples, but most politicians on both sides of the fence are hardworking and decent.

I also disagree. I wouldn't put more than about 20% in the "hardworking and decent" category if we're talking about politicians at the national level. Maybe 30% if I'm feeling generous. We already have term limits for presidents, so I would welcome the same limitations on our senators and other elected officials.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 20th July 2023, 5:54 AM

The Farages, Johnsons and Trumps of this world only thrive by promoting this cynical view that all politicians are as terrible as they are.

You seem a little one-sided in your judgment. The other side of the aisle is also positively awash with terrible politicians - in my country and yours.

I'm less sure about the average U.S public official, admittedly.
However, the likes of Dole, McCain, Obama all had a fundamental decency which Trump lacks. The same is true of Carter (who was very ineffective) and Reagan (who I disagreed with on lots of things).
I disagreed with Thatcher massively but even she had sincerely held beliefs which she fought for, as did Major, Brown and May, even though none of those three were great PMs.
Boris Johnson and Trump both lack any moral core. They are only interested in advancing themselves.
In the UK - unless they are assassinated or die or are retiring prematurely - when their contribution is praised, we only tend to hear about MPs when they do something wrong.
Exeter's MP Ben Bradshaw is about to retire after over a quarter of a century's quiet, decent service. There are many other examples. People often say their own MP is good even if they believe most MPs are rubbish.
Hardworking, decent politicians tend not to attract big headlines.