British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,620

I see that Dolphin attacks are on the rise in Japan. To be honest I have never really trusted Dolphins anyway I think its because they click and wink like a Vegas dealer to entice you into the water.

They're also sexually insatiable.

This Post Office debacle is an absolute disgrace. People's lives have been ruined - some bastard needs to be brought to book and have the book thrown at them. Let them lose their house and have their life in tatters - there's one big f**king cover-up going on somewhere. 20 years on and still ex Post Office owners are having their lives ruined, while the shits in their ivory towers do f**k all.
61 people who were owed some recompense, have since died - perhaps that what they are counting on, that all those ruined will be dead and they won't have to pay out.

Quote: DaButt @ 17th July 2023, 5:04 PM

Remember "two weeks to flatten the curve" during the pandemic? Remember when Covid vaccinations were going to stop the spread? Remember when it was a good idea to close schools and make toddlers wear masks? .

And yet wearing masks, locking down and, above all, getting vaccinated worked in the end.
Certainly better than listening to some non-experts did! E.g. Trump's notorious suggestion concerning bleach.
Experts are bound to get things wrong sometimes. But we would be extremely foolish to disregard their advice in general.
They are experts! They know what they're talking about.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 18th July 2023, 6:28 AM

And yet ... locking down ... worked in the end.

Except for the children (and adults) who were abused or murdered in their own homes, those who suffered mental health problems, those who committed suicide, those who lost their businesses and the children who lost out on the best part of two years' education. And of course the economy in general.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th July 2023, 8:41 AM

Except for the children (and adults) who were abused or murdered in their own homes, those who suffered mental health problems, those who committed suicide, those who lost their businesses and the children who lost out on the best part of two years' education. And of course the economy in general.

You'd need to put a number to all those categories for your argument to even begin making sense.
Then compare that total to the projected number of deaths without the measures in place.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th July 2023, 11:40 PM

This Post Office debacle is an absolute disgrace. People's lives have been ruined - some bastard needs to be brought to book and have the book thrown at them. Let them lose their house and have their life in tatters - there's one big f**king cover-up going on somewhere. 20 years on and still ex Post Office owners are having their lives ruined, while the shits in their ivory towers do f**k all.
61 people who were owed some recompense, have since died - perhaps that what they are counting on, that all those ruined will be dead and they won't have to pay out.

Agreed. It's a disgrace. Those responsible should be exposed.

I heard at the time my local Post Office had been fiddling the books and had left in a hurry.
I posted Ebay parcels from there and they seemed a lovely couple - It was hard to believe.

They were on the local TV news last night. Their lives have been ruined.

Turns out RFK jnr wants to be president

Turns out he is also off his f**king rocker

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th July 2023, 5:31 PM

We'll have to agree to differ on that particular point.
That's politics, not science.
BUT, that aside, you have to go with the weight of scientific opinion.

True. The lengths scientists go to find the truth vs the length tabloid readers or mates down the pub go to ratify beliefs says it all. Turns out the 12 out of 13 Economists were right about Brexit, go figure ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th July 2023, 11:40 PM

This Post Office debacle is an absolute disgrace

I hear you Herc. I've just completed a project for a .gov company and I'm astounded at how good they are at covering up vs owning up. It's still going on.

And yet wearing masks, locking down and, above all, getting vaccinated worked in the end.

Did it? I still caught Covid three times, despite getting vaccinated three times, and my reaction to the third vaccination was far worse than actual Covid. The world's economy was devastated, our children's educations suffered tremendously, and how can you put a price tag on someone missing out on a loved one's last days and funeral because of lockdowns?

They are experts! They know what they're talking about.

Those same experts lied to us about Covid's true origins when they suspected that it came from a lab - a lab that the U.S. funded.

The same experts who said we were coming up to a new Ice Age, all going to die of Swine Flu, or be crushed by falling aircraft when the calendar clicked over to 2000?

Quote: DaButt @ 18th July 2023, 1:47 PM

Did it? I still caught Covid three times, despite getting vaccinated three times, and my reaction to the third vaccination was far worse than actual Covid. The world's economy was devastated, our children's educations suffered tremendously, and how can you put a price tag on someone missing out on a loved one's last days and funeral because of lockdowns?

Those same experts lied to us about Covid's true origins when they suspected that it came from a lab - a lab that the U.S. funded.

Personally I'm very glad I caught Covid after I was vaccinated rather than before. Like most people I was fortunate enough to get it fairly mildly as a result. I dread to think how badly the economy and education would have been hit or indeed how terrible death rates would have been had we not followed the expert advice.

Would you be glad you caught polio after you had the vaccine?
I too had vaccines and was very ill with covid twice after.
That was no vaccine.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 18th July 2023, 5:57 PM

I dread to think how badly the economy and education would have been hit or indeed how terrible death rates would have been had we not followed the expert advice.

The expert advice that mandated wearing masks (any old bit of cloth would do, of course) while flying, but allowed them to be removed for 20 minutes while everyone ate and drank? The expert advice that said you needn't wear a mask if you were seated at a bar/restaurant, but insisted that you did so if you were standing? The expert advice that closed schools and made young children wear masks, even though they had approximately a 0% chance of dying from it? The expert advice from scientists who knowingly lied and attempted to cover up their concerns that the virus had been created in a lab?

I'd take that kind of expert advice with a healthy dose of skepticism.