British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,612

Of course there are some right-wing creatives.
But generally they lean to the left.
Comes with the territory.

Quote: DaButt @ 8th July 2023, 5:14 AM

He's young, smart, and popular, and he'd make a better president than Trump or Biden by several orders of magnitude.

DeSantis: "I'll destroy Woke!"
Hysterical applause from a brain-dead audience.
That seems to be the level of political debate in the US.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th July 2023, 9:27 AM

Of course there are some right-wing creatives.
But generally they lean to the left.
Comes with the territory.

I've yet to meet any.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th July 2023, 8:16 AM

I'm aware of all of them and hundreds more but put the ones that most appeal to my taste in viewing otherwise I'd still be typing them. Don't you think this rather rubbishes the claim you agree with that

Of course there are right wing artists, some very talented, but broadly speaking liberals and lefties dominate the creative industries. And tellingly a lot of the right wing artists mentioned on this thread are from a while back.

Which enforces my point about there being an effective embargo on right leaning creatives, and many are just acting at being leftish and cosmopolitan to get in, so much of it isn't in the least bit genuine. At its worst it is a Stalinistic demand that everyone who joins their club think the same, talk the same, do the same so it's little more than a social control sham. It's the reverse of McCarthyism. 'If you're not a lefty, go and work in a bank, even though you create better art than a lot of us.'

And now in sub genres like light entertainment compering you can't get an audition without being of a certain disposition. I've even heard the rumour that one or two in the industry aren't actually gay, they're just acting camp to get a better paid job than working as a holiday rep or something.

We seem to be getting into conspiracy theory territory now. Ho hum...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th July 2023, 10:45 AM

Which enforces my point about there being an effective embargo on right leaning creatives, and many are just acting at being leftish and cosmopolitan to get in, so much of it isn't in the least bit genuine. At its worst it is a Stalinistic demand that everyone who joins their club think the same, talk the same, do the same so it's little more than a social control sham. It's the reverse of McCarthyism. 'If you're not a lefty, go and work in a bank, even though you create better art than a lot of us.'

And now in sub genres like light entertainment compering you can't get an audition without being of a certain disposition. I've even heard the rumour that one or two in the industry aren't actually gay, they're just acting camp to get a better paid job than working as a holiday rep or something.

Bonkers.
I've worked with creative people all my life.
Apart from a few exceptions they are left-of-centre.
There is no embargo - people are judged by the quality of their work.
This drearily prevalent theory that all left-wingers are pretending to be left just to virtue-signal - whilst all right-wingers are genuine warriors for justice - is infantile in the extreme.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th July 2023, 11:08 AM

There is no embargo - people are judged by the quality of their work.

Tell that to the artists who've had work pulled by galleries who don't like their political stance, or writers who've had their classic novels butchered so they don't upset snowflakes' delicate sensibilities/vile neoStalinist doctrines. So yes, increasingly judged and rejected if the curators don't like the tone of the work.

Evidence of this?

Hang on then while I walk down the corridor to the library.

Telegraph 1st July 'Chinese Banksy accuses British left leaning galleries of refusing to hang his work for fear of being labelled racist.' is one.

And without recording the references in my memory box while watching many art docs there were a couple of high profile names who were barred from having work displayed in some of the major public galleries simply for making art with unfashionable non left leaning tropes if that's the right term here.

There is also the long ongoing farrago about the lost masterpieces looted by the nazis and then sold off to private collectors which galleries won't touch because of the tainted connection, and so this political nervousness is depriving the world of viewing gems by the greats. How sad is that?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th July 2023, 12:03 PM

Telegraph 1st July 'Chinese Banksy accuses British left leaning galleries of refusing to hang his work for fear of being labelled racist.' is one.

And without recording the references in my memory box while watching many art docs there were a couple of high profile names who were barred from having work displayed in some of the major public galleries simply for making art with unfashionable non left leaning tropes if that's the right term here.

There is also the long ongoing farrago about the lost masterpieces looted by the nazis and then sold off to private collectors which galleries won't touch because of the tainted connection, and so this political nervousness is depriving the world of viewing gems by the greats. How sad is that?

Well, bearing in mind Badiucao (the 'Chinese Banksy') is a dissident political artist speaking out against the repressive Beijing government, I would say he's fairly left-of-centre - so possibly not the best choice.

No idea which artists you're referring to who have been barred from having work displayed - and I don't think you do either.

As for looted nazi art - if you're painting squeamish gallery owners as the villains of this particular piece, I think you may be looking down the wrong end of the telescope. Like all stolen property these should be returned to their original owners.

They can't if they don't know who the original owners are.

So you remember every name name of every person talked about in five year old TV docs, good for you, I don't. I watched them, it happened I'm not succumbing to your Gestapo like tyranny of having to scour the internet to please you, especially when you won't accept it anyway.

Arguing with a lefty is like mud wrestling a pig.
Eventually you realise they both like it.

The Nazi stolen art sums up how humanity ties itself into knots over perceived morals and especially the fear of reputational damage by making the 'wrong' moral choice. The artworks are in eternal limbo because no one wants to be associated with buying artworks from the 'underworld' that were bought from Hitler's mob, therefore in the act of purchase justifying Hitler's cause.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 8th July 2023, 2:40 PM

They can't if they don't know who the original owners are.
They have been found in the past.
But if a gallery feels squeamish about displaying stolen goods, that is their perogative, and not in any way pointing to some imagined bar to right-wing artists - of whom, we have established - there are precious few.

So you remember every name name of every person talked about in five year old TV docs, good for you, I don't. I watched them, it happened I'm not succumbing to your Gestapo like tyranny of having to scour the internet to please you, especially when you won't accept it anyway.
Well, we'll never know whether I accept the evidence or not, because you haven't produced it. And asking for evidence of fairly 'out-there' set of assertions is hardly 'Gestapo practice' - just intellectual rigour.