British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,610

And this is where the woke ethos fails miserably.

Sussex police are looking for 2 women who assaulted a 15-year-old boy on the street in broad daylight.
The women are 6ft 3 and 6ft and had deep voices.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th July 2023, 8:13 AM

And this is where the woke ethos fails miserably.

Sussex police are looking for 2 women who assaulted a 15-year-old boy on the street in broad daylight.
The women are 6ft 3 and 6ft and had deep voices.

I might be a bit slow on the uptake, but where does the the woke bit come in? Did they assault him and ask him to use certain pronouns during the assault?

The word begins with W and is not wanker.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th July 2023, 10:40 AM

The word begins with W and is not wanker.

Ignoring what I assume is abuse aimed at me (no need for nasty name calling, Goodlad), I read one article on this and saw no mention of deep voices. I did see a Liverpudlian accent mentioned. Bearing in mind that one is six foot three with a Scouse accent in Sussex, I assume they'll be easy to catch with those descriptions.

You assume wrong.

How do they know they're women?

The Home Office has confirmed that murals of cartoon characters painted on the walls of an asylum centre in Kent for unaccompanied children have been painted over following an order from Robert Jenrick.

i revealed exclusively on Tuesday that Mr Jenrick, the Immigration Minister, had ordered the removal of the murals, which depicted characters such as Baloo from The Jungle Book and Mickey Mouse, because they were thought to be too welcoming.

What a callous, despicable f**king pig

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th July 2023, 7:27 AM

Anything with the word left is generally useless. :)

The NHS only exists because of the Left!

Virtually every decent film and TV show is written by, directed by, or stars lefties. So if you hate lefties you shouldn't be watching any films or TV shows. And you probably shouldn't read books or listen to music, since they're mainly lefties too.

Alfred Hitchcock? Fawlty Towers? Clint Eastwood? Michael Caine?

Dirty Harry? Deliverance? The Long Good Friday? Zulu?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th July 2023, 6:46 AM

Alfred Hitchcock? Fawlty Towers? Clint Eastwood?

Dirty Harry? Deliverance? The Long Good Friday? Zulu?

Chipolata is broadly correct! I'm sure lots of exceptions can be found though.
However...
Clint Eastwood is right-wing, yes.
John Cleese was a Liberal supporter at the time of Fawlty, certainly not a raging right-winger. I don't know what Connie Booth's views were/are.
Hitchcock was not overtly political in any way, aside from being anti-Nazi.
Dirty Harry: Er...yes. Clint Eastwood again?
Do we know the makers of Deliverance, Zulu and The Long Good Friday were definitely not left-wing?

I put Fawlty Towers, not JC. A snobbish, lower class hating hotelier exploiting cheap foreign labour and criticising the then labour govt and unions. But Cleese is I reckon considered right wing these days with his strong anti woke views.

Hitchcock was patriotic and conservative in his personal and professional life and his films have lots of right leaning references

The films I mentioned were examples of exemplifying right wing ideals, as are thousands of others I didn't mention.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th July 2023, 7:32 AM

I put Fawlty Towers, not JC. A snobbish, lower class hating hotelier exploiting cheap foreign labour and criticising the labour govt and unions.

Hitchcock was famously right wing in his personal and professional life.

The films I mentioned were examples of exemplifying right wing ideals, as are thousands of others I didn't mention.

You are wrong about Hitchcock.
I agree Basil Fawlty, the fictional character, is right-wing. That doesn't mean his creators were endorsing those views though. Quite the opposite!
Not convinced about Deliverance, Zulu or The Long Good Friday either.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 7th July 2023, 5:39 AM

The NHS only exists because of the Left!

It is rife with activists who are lazy and more concerned about 'rights' than caring for the sick.

The rest (the majority) are perfectly good at their job.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 7th July 2023, 7:41 AM

You are wrong about Hitchcock.
I agree Basil Fawlty, the fictional character, is right-wing. That doesn't mean his creators were endorsing those views though. Quite the opposite!
Not convinced about Deliverance, Zulu or The Long Good Friday either.

I've amended the Hitchcock one, and no I'm not, I've read loads on the great man, he was well known to be of the right but made a point of never discussing his politics as thought that was vulgar.

Deliverance is a promotion of American rights of self defence and fighting back, Zulu is saluting a noble British military stand in the days of the empire, and TLGF is about pro British cockney yuppie gangsters.