British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,267

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th June 2023, 10:42 AM

I have often wondered why this is.
There is a theory that it has to do with music videos - a constant reminder of what 'was', making it more 'present'.
Music of our parent's youth used to be a memory - but very much in the past.
It's a fascinating subject

Although the existence of music videos enables us to see the performers at their prime. We don't have to watch them struggling 60 years on.

In fact I'd rather go to see a tribute band than the original performers trying to re-create their catalogue. It is a more realistic experience.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th June 2023, 10:54 AM

In fact I'd rather go to see a tribute band than the original performers trying to re-create their catalogue. It is a more realistic experience.

I suppose Abba's AI, CGI'd "Voyage" extravaganza is the ultimate combination of both.
And is probably the future.
Which I suppose is at the heart of it.
If everything lives forever, there's not much room for anything new...

Any recent concert I've seen Paul McCartney in, he can still rock with no discernible loss of voice.

Tom Jones is another one of the few not to lose it.

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th June 2023, 9:05 AM

Has anyone in the history of rock stars looked less like a rock star?

I know! As someone said on twitter, he looked like a pastor of an American mega church.

Was he ever really a rock star though?

Quote: Aaron @ 26th June 2023, 1:09 PM

Was he ever really a rock star though?

Good rock band when they started.

Quote: zooo @ 26th June 2023, 12:56 PM

Tom Jones is another one of the few not to lose it.

I know! As someone said on twitter, he looked like a pastor of an American mega church.

Well, he is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Mormon, in other words.

Well he's doing Mormoning very well.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th June 2023, 11:02 AM

Any recent concert I've seen Paul McCartney in, he can still rock with no discernible loss of voice.

Maybe but, of course, Paul McCartney wasn't performing as Paul McCartney in my day. He was performing as one quarter of a certain pop group.

And I would much rather see the Bootleg Beatles (other tribute bands are available) re-create an original Beatles concert (before they stopped touring), which, being so young, I missed out on at the time, than to see an 81 year old performing as an individual, a performance which means nothing to me.

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th June 2023, 9:05 AM

Has anyone in the history of rock stars looked less like a rock star?

No idea who he is (or at least not until I googled him). Ron Flowers, yes.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th June 2023, 1:57 PM

And I would much rather see the Bootleg Beatles (other tribute bands are available) re-create an original Beatles concert (before they stopped touring), which, being so young, I missed out on at the time, than to see an 81 year old performing as an individual, a performance which means nothing to me.

I've had the fortune to see both bands live. The thing with the Bootleg Beatles is though, they don't recreate an original Beatles concert as such, but show them in their various historical phases, and are certainly very good.

Whereas, The Beatles in concert I saw in 1964 was just that - their music up to that date (I stress the saw, as that was more than I could hear)

Forget the hype of Elton John etc. Anyone catch the under the radar performance of the Pretenders?

I only watched the Manics

And a bit of GNR - how the f**k they are still alive is astonishing

Quote: paulted @ 26th June 2023, 7:33 PM

Forget the hype of Elton John etc. Anyone catch the under the radar performance of the Pretenders?

Nope, 'cos I can't stand Chrissie Hynde

Quote: lofthouse @ 26th June 2023, 8:18 PM

I only watched the Manics

And a bit of GNR - how the f**k they are still alive is astonishing

Axl didn't use heroin often because he refused to be controlled by it and Duff talks about his alcoholism in his book and how he stopped drinking before it killed him. I read it thinking it was an impossibility for me and today is 152 days since my last drink.

I've not checked out GNR at Glastonbury yet and from what I've read about the sound levels I'm not sure I want to.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 27th June 2023, 12:10 AM

Axl didn't use heroin often because he refused to be controlled by it and Duff talks about his alcoholism in his book and how he stopped drinking before it killed him. I read it thinking it was an impossibility for me and today is 152 days since my last drink.

I've not checked out GNR at Glastonbury yet and from what I've read about the sound levels I'm not sure I want to.

Congrats!!!

The sound was annoying but it did get better later on, and some songs were absolutely fine. I still managed to enjoy the whole set, and Slash was flipping epic.

Yes but it's not a proper GNR set unless Axl throws a girly hissy fit and walks off stage half way through because someone in the audience looked at him the wrong way