British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,266

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th June 2023, 1:05 PM

Want to know what Oasis would have sounded like if George Formby had fronted them?

Arctic Monkeys

"Turned out nice again Glastonbury!! Hehee "

How dare you besmirch the good name of George Formby.

I apologise 😆

The cricket on bbc 4

Oh , hang on, it's the women

Never mind 😬

I watched Lewis Capaldi singing at Glastonbury last night.
He was brilliant but obviously unwell.
His recently diagnosed Tourettes syndrome was playing him up very badly. He was ticking and twitching all night
And even worse for him, his voice kept locking up and he couldn't sing.
But the crowd sensed he was struggling and filled in the gaps - singing the missing parts as loud as they could.
It was quite moving.

I just saw that clip! Very sweet.

Elton John Glasto gig - fabulous, with his "Captain Fantastic" band +, and as he promised - all killer stuff, with no self indulgent tracks.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th June 2023, 11:51 PM

Elton John Glasto gig - fabulous, with his "Captain Fantastic" band +, and as he promised - all killer stuff, with no self indulgent tracks.

I loved him in that era, so I'll try to track down this performance. He's been such a cranky bastard over the last few years that I've mostly written him off.

It will be worth the effort to find it. At 76, his energy and voice was incredible.

Lizzo and the Roly Poly's were good too.

Just don't look directly at Brandon Flowers new face.

Quote: zooo @ 26th June 2023, 8:39 AM

Just don't look directly at Brandon Flowers new face.

Has anyone in the history of rock stars looked less like a rock star?

Quote: DaButt @ 26th June 2023, 2:13 AM

I loved him in that era, so I'll try to track down this performance.

Bit wobbly on his pins when he walked on stage in his gold lame suit (homage to Elvis?) and yes, you must try and find it, as it was super brilliant, and I agree with you - his Captain Fantastic album is one of my all-time favourites, with every track a gem.

It's on BBC iPlayer, but I expect you can't get that?

Here's his dedication to George Michael, someone filmed.

There's a 1977 Elton John concert on BBC4 on Friday evening (followed by a 1979 Blondie one).

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th June 2023, 9:36 AM

There's a 1977 Elton John concert on BBC4 on Friday evening (followed by a 1979 Blondie one).

Infinitely preferable.
Harking back to a time when they could actually hit the notes.
Huge fan of EJ (he came from my neck of the woods).
His songs were literally the soundtrack of my early youth.
Perhaps that's why to hear him bottle out of every high note - the thing that made his songs & style so uniquely captivating - is depressing.
As is watching him waddle about like he'd shat himself.
I know it's selfish, but I wish rock stars would have the decency to move on.
I know it doesn't matter to the kids in the audience who weren't even born when he wrote his classics, but for me it rather dents the memory.
Gripe over.

Quote: Lazzard @ 26th June 2023, 9:51 AM

I know it's selfish, but I wish rock stars would have the decency to move on.

I quite agree with you (I bet you never thought you'd hear those words from me). And not selfish at all. On the contrary, selfish of all the old rockers who won't move on.

Rock music was supposed to be about rebellion from the young until our generation hijacked it for 60 years. We 'd have been devastated if Woodstock or the IOW had been full of performers in their 70s. Or, worse, if our parents had turned up to enjoy it.

I saw Elton John at the Royal Festival Hall in 1972. Before he became big (in both senses). And then two Christmas concerts at Hammersmith Odeon in the mid-70s.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th June 2023, 10:31 AM

I quite agree with you (I bet you never thought you'd hear those words from me). And not selfish at all. On the contrary, selfish of all the old rockers who won't move on.

Rock music was supposed to be about rebellion from the young until our generation hijacked it for 60 years. We 'd have been devastated if Woodstock or the IOW had been full of performers in their 70s. Or, worse, if our parents had turned up to enjoy it.

I have often wondered why this is.
There is a theory that it has to do with music videos - a constant reminder of what 'was', making it more 'present'.
Music of our parent's youth used to be a memory - but very much in the past.
It's a fascinating subject