British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,605

Wagner stab Putin in the back ??

Wow

You would think you would be able to TRUST a bunch of mercenaries made up of neo nazis, ex prisoners and blood thirsty murderers

Quote: lofthouse @ 24th June 2023, 2:57 PM

Wagner stab Putin in the back ??

How can you trust a man who is obsessed with riding a Valkyrie's ring - dirty boy!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th June 2023, 2:18 PM

Over twice as much land area? Population around the same? Housing stock pretty similar?

Shows how overcrowded this country already is in comparison.

Weeeell....
Just dividing a country's population by its area is a fairly meaningless measure.
It's really about where people live, and how densely.
Paris is more densely populated than London, for instance.
The flight from the country to the big cities is a big problem in France.
So, it's not so much about landmass, really.
The housing shortage in this country is not about lack of land, but lack of willingness to build outside of pre-existing conurbations.
And lack of investment.
There's plenty of land, as a drive up to Edinburgh will soon tell you.

By any meaningful measure we are doing less than France.

On a separate note.
Looks like Putin's done a runner.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th June 2023, 3:42 PM

Looks like Putin's done a runner.

He can take my seat to see the Titanic in this yellow submarine I have knocked together, if he is interested.

Nah wagner have bottled it

Chicken shit bastards

Their leader should now expect to die of ingested radiation poisoning within a few weeks ...

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th June 2023, 3:42 PM

There's plenty of land, as a drive up to Edinburgh will soon tell you.

It will also tell you, especially if you attempt to do it via the M25, M40 & M6, how hopelessly overcrowded the roads are.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th June 2023, 7:17 PM

It will also tell you, especially if you attempt to do it via the M25, M40 & M6, how hopelessly overcrowded the roads are.

I live in Shropshire so I avoid most of that.
And that's lack of road building and woeful investment in public transport infrastructure, not overcrowding.
Quite enjoying this constant moving of goalposts, though, BB - keeps me on my toes!

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th June 2023, 8:51 PM

I live in Shropshire so I avoid most of that.
And that's lack of road building and woeful investment in public transport infrastructure, not overcrowding.

But many of us can't avoid it, especially in the south. There are 4 million more cars on our roads than ten years ago, the fastest increase in road traffic any country in Europe has seen. Sorry but you're way off in blaming the lack of road building, you couldn't be more wrong. Do you know how many major road building and widening projects there've been during this Govts reign? Every week there seems to be a new lane added to the M4, M3, A3, stretches of the M25 and they fill up as soon they open. There'll soon be going under Stone Henge when the court cases end.

There's been so much road building there've been numerous failed campaigns and court cases to stop them carving up towns and villages and they still can't keep anywhere near up with the insane demand. But then when the previous regime opened the doors to the poorest countries in Europe overnight, it was inevitable, unless Blair thought they still used horse and carts and couldn't drive. It's got everything to do with overcrowding, especially the mad speed with which it's happened.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th June 2023, 1:09 AM

There are 4 million more cars on our roads than ten years ago, the fastest increase in road traffic any country in Europe has seen. .

Do you have a source for this bit of info? Not saying it's wrong but just want to see the evidence. Thanks!
Building more roads does not reduce road traffic. Quite the opposite!
Britain's road congestion problems are not caused by immigration.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th June 2023, 7:42 AM

Britain's road congestion problems are not caused by immigration.

Do you have a source for this bit of info? Not saying it's wrong (although clearly mathematically flawed)...

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th June 2023, 8:47 AM

Do you have a source for this bit of info? Not saying it's wrong (although clearly mathematically flawed)...

Ha! But yes...

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

https://environmentaldefence.ca/2020/09/15/why-building-more-highways-wont-make-your-commute-any-better/

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/building-new-roads-just-creates-more-traffic-heres-the-proof/

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th June 2023, 1:09 AM

But many of us can't avoid it, especially in the south. There are 4 million more cars on our roads than ten years ago, the fastest increase in road traffic any country in Europe has seen. Sorry but you're way off in blaming the lack of road building, you couldn't be more wrong. Do you know how many major road building and widening projects there've been during this Govts reign? Every week there seems to be a new lane added to the M4, M3, A3, stretches of the M25 and they fill up as soon they open. There'll soon be going under Stone Henge when the court cases end.

There's been so much road building there've been numerous failed campaigns and court cases to stop them carving up towns and villages and they still can't keep anywhere near up with the insane demand. But then when the previous regime opened the doors to the poorest countries in Europe overnight, it was inevitable, unless Blair thought they still used horse and carts and couldn't drive. It's got everything to do with overcrowding, especially the mad speed with which it's happened.

You're right about my lack of road building comment - that was clumsy.
I guess it's more about fiddling about at the edges as opposed to getting it right in the first place, so they're constantly running
inefficiently. Western European motorways - are superb.
The bigger problem is public transport infrastructure - or the lack of.
That's like as not why the rest of Europe has a slower increase in road traffic - they have other options.
It also gives the lie to your comment that it's somehow linked to immigration - and immigrants driving on the roads.
As other countries take more immigrants than we do, you'd expect it to have a similar, if not greater effect on their road traffic.
Which, as you point out, it hasn't.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 25th June 2023, 9:14 AM

Ha! But yes...

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-traffic-induced-demand/

https://environmentaldefence.ca/2020/09/15/why-building-more-highways-wont-make-your-commute-any-better/

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/building-new-roads-just-creates-more-traffic-heres-the-proof/

Thanks for the links but that wasn't the part of your post that I was querying. It was the comment " Britain's road congestion problems are not caused by immigration". Clearly, the more people there are in the country (for whatever reason), some (or many) of those people - and their future families - are going to own cars, which can only add to road congestion.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 25th June 2023, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the links but that wasn't the part of your post that I was querying. It was the comment " Britain's road congestion problems are not caused by immigration". Clearly, the more people there are in the country (for whatever reason), some (or many) of those people - and their future families - are going to own cars, which can only add to road congestion.

Add to, but not cause.
So you're both right.
You could similarly say that advances in medicine have added to road congestion, by allowing people to live longer.
Not sure the answer to a 5 mile tailback on the M6 is enforced euthanasia, though.

Quote: Lazzard @ 25th June 2023, 10:34 AM

Not sure the answer to a 5 mile tailback on the M6 is enforced euthanasia, though.

That's a matter of opinion.