British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,591

It would be absolutely typical of a person like BJ to not simply go quietly - when he can try to do as much damage to his party in the process. It's all about ME, ME, ME, ME with him , always has been

The wave of Tory MPs quitting Parliament led by Boris Johnson has prompted fears within the Conservatives of a rival party being set up fronted by the former prime minister.

Nigel Adams became the third MP to announce he would be stepping down with immediate effect after Nadine Dorries and Mr Johnson said they were resigning on Friday night.

The decision has sparked chaos within the Tory party, and leaves Rishi Sunak facing the prospect of three by-elections in succession in the coming months.

i has been told that as many as six Johnson loyalist MPs could quit the party, in a move that would further plunge Mr Sunak's leadership into crisis.

A new "Tory" party fronted by BJ, with Nadine has his deputy? Yes please

The tories would be out of government for eternity

Perhaps they know what they are doing - you definitely don't.
Always nice to read of your glee at any Tory downfall while totally ignoring your own parties.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th June 2023, 6:39 PM

Always nice to read of your glee at any Tory downfall while totally ignoring your own parties.

Someone give SG a nudge - his needle's stuck.

To quote Neil " we're allriiìiiìiiiight!"

A stubbornly stoic voter intention tracker poll this week, with little movement in the charts and Labour holding a 20-point lead

Lab 47% (+1)
Con 27% (+2)
LD 10% (NC)
SNP 3% (NC)
Ref 6% (NC)
Green 5% (-2)

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th June 2023, 5:38 PM

A new "Tory" party fronted by BJ, with Nadine has his deputy? Yes please

The tories would be out of government for eternity

Please, not another centre-left party. Haven't we got enough of those in Parliament already? Five major parties at the last count (if you include the Welsh).

At least if anyone ever gets round to forming a right of centre party, they would have the field all to themselves while the left leaning parties would be splitting the vote no end of ways.

So yes, you're right. The Tory Party may well be out of government for eternity. To be replaced by a proper right-wing party with proper right of centre values.

Quote: DaButt @ 10th June 2023, 3:48 PM

It's the Internet, and people have varying opinions. You shouldn't let it get to you. Most disagreements around here are relatively civil.

Couldn't agree more DB, but when the forum's resident pinkos question statements as Hallam did and then not accept said facts (Billy's post), but do not question when the other one (Lazzard) makes a sweeping statement of "countless 'committed killers' have been found to be not guilty many years later" with not one ounce of proof - that, makes my blood boil. Both of them are too fond of sweeping arguments under the carpet when someone stands up to them and/or they have no proof to back up what they are spouting.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th June 2023, 10:19 AM

I thought we were having a serious debate on a serious issue. My mistake.

You had Lazz on the ropes Billy, but oh look, he's gone away.

Look back over what I have written.
I just asked a question! I haven't even expressed any opinion on the subject. I just quoted what you wrote.
Why all the rage?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 10th June 2023, 6:39 PM

The Tories are clearly in a mess at the moment. Labour are not.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 10th June 2023, 7:12 PM

So yes, you're right. The Tory Party may well be out of government for eternity. To be replaced by a proper right-wing party with proper right of centre values.

I seem to remember Liz Truss led a very right-wing government for a period last year. As I recall, it didn't go very well.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th June 2023, 11:01 AM

Iyou repeatedly set yourself up as the guardian of this forum and we must all take heed of what Judge Lazzard says, as he has the wisdom of Solomon.

One more quote from Lazzard yesterday that bears reproduction lest it be missed amongst the subsequent furore:

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th June 2023, 11:58 AM

No, it won't because they, along with God, don't exist.

Something that civilisations have been fighting over for thousands of years, something that has taken up the time of scholars for centuries. Now Lazzard has spoken there can be no doubt. If only they'd thought to ask him earlier, it would have saved all that bloodshed and tears.

:D

To temporarily change the subject. Greta and her climate scientists don't have much time left for their statement that all of humanity will soon be wiped out.
On 21 June 2018, she stated that we had 5 Years left if we don't immediately stop using fossil fuels.
10 days then.
Been nice knowing you all.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 11th June 2023, 7:57 AM

Look back over what I have written.
I just asked a question! I haven't even expressed any opinion on the subject. I just quoted what you wrote.
Why all the rage?

Good God man, talk about double speak - why don't you read the posts before answering - I explained why my "all the rage" in the very post that proceeded yours!!
And you still haven't accepted/commented on Billy's post re double killers, but accept Lazz's sweeping statement on "countless" innocents who have been executed.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th June 2023, 8:14 AM

One more quote from Lazzard yesterday that bears reproduction lest it be missed amongst the subsequent furore:
Something that civilisations have been fighting over for thousands of years, something that has taken up the time of scholars for centuries. Now Lazzard has spoken there can be no doubt. If only they'd thought to ask him earlier, it would have saved all that bloodshed and tears.

😂

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th June 2023, 8:14 AM

Do we really have to put "In my opinion" in front of every statement, just to keep the pedants at bay?
It happens to be what I, and half the country, believe - that's all.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 11th June 2023, 7:57 AM

I seem to remember Liz Truss led a very right-wing government for a period last year. As I recall, it didn't go very well.

There clearly wasn't enough time to determine that it was "a very right-wing government". I somehow doubt that it would have been.

And there certainly wasn't enough time to establish whether, had it been so, it would have gone well.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th June 2023, 1:04 AM

...when the other one (Lazzard) makes a sweeping statement of "countless 'committed killers' have been found to be not guilty many years later" with not one ounce of proof - that, makes my blood boil.

As he well knows, Herc specifically asked me not to post any proof -"can you expand on that with facts? No, don't bother as we're never going to see eye to eye on this."
But seeing as he then proceeded to bang on about me not providing evidence, I thought I would.
Of course, he, or one of his band of merry men, will counter with "hardly what you call countless"
To which I would respond - this is from relatively recent history. who knows how many innocent people were executed in the past - and how many innocent people are in prison today who, had there been a death penalty, would have swung for no reason.
Secondly, technically nothing is 'countless' expect infinity, I guess.

Sorry it's long - blame Herc.

Stefan Kiszko served 16 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of the 1975 murder of the schoolgirl Lesley Molseed in West Yorkshire. He was freed on appeal in 1992. Later, Ronald Castree's DNA was found to match samples taken from semen on the 11-year-old's clothes. He was jailed for life for the murder in 2007.

Stephen Downing was jailed for 27 years for beating to death the typist Wendy Sewell in Bakewell. His conviction was quashed in 2002 after a campaign by the then editor of the Matlock Mercury, Don Hale, who said Downing had been interviewed without legal representation and his signed confession had been written by a police officer.

Barry George endured two trials for the murder of the TV presenter Jill Dando and was eventually acquitted of the charge in August, eight years after he was jailed.

Derek Bentley, 19, was hanged for involvement in the murder of the police constable Sidney Miles in 1953. His family campaigned to clear his name, saying he had severe learning difficulties and a mental age of 11. In 1998, his conviction was overturned by the court of appeal because the trial judge had misdirected the jury on points of law.

Winston Silcott was cleared of murdering the policeman Keith Blakelock during the Broadwater Farm riots in Tottenham in 1985, after new evidence came to light. He spent six years in prison for Blakelock's murder before successfully appealing. But he was not released as he was serving a second life sentence for the murder of a boxer in east London in 1984. He left prison after serving 17 years for stabbing 24-year-old Anthony Smith to death. He has always said he acted in self-defence.

Babysitter Suzanne Holdsworth spent three years in prison for murdering Kyle Fisher, a neighbour's two-year-old son, before she was cleared in a retrial last year. She had been jailed for life after being convicted in 2005 of killing the toddler by repeatedly banging his head against a wooden bannister at her Hartlepool home. The appeal court ruled her conviction was unsafe after new medical evidence emerged suggesting Kyle may have died from an epileptic seizure. She was found not guilty at the retrial.

Angela Cannings was jailed for life in 2002 for murdering her two baby sons, but freed the following year after her conviction was overturned on appeal. Cannings from Salisbury, Wiltshire, was convicted of murdering seven-week-old Jason in 1991, and 18-week-old Matthew in 1999. She always maintained the two boys died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (Sids) or cot death.

The solicitor Sally Clark was jailed for murdering her two baby sons, and cleared by the appeal court in 2003. The mother, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, had always protested her innocence since being jailed for life in November 1999. She was convicted of smothering 11-week-old Christopher in December 1996 and shaking eight-week-old Harry to death in January 1998. In 2007, she was found dead at her home. Her family said she had never recovered from the ordeal.

Oh shit I'm gonna need more popcorn

🍿😳

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 11th June 2023, 9:07 AM

There clearly wasn't enough time to determine that it was "a very right-wing government". I somehow doubt that it would have been.

And there certainly wasn't enough time to establish whether, had it been so, it would have gone well.

It failed quickly precisely because their right-wing economic policies were wholly disastrous.
What sort of policies would a government have to introduce for you to consider them truly right-wing?