British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,590

How Uxbridge & South Ruislip would vote if an election was held today - Britain Predicts

Lab: 48.3% (+10.7)
Con: 36.8 (-15.8)

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th June 2023, 9:41 AM

Whilst your rΓ΄le as Forum Contrarian is often quite amusing, it can get a little tiresome.

Judging by the posts on this thread I would say I was reflecting popular opinion, not opposing it.

Points scored in a game that no-one was actually playing don't really count.

?

I thought we were having a serious debate on a serious issue. My mistake.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 9th June 2023, 6:11 PM

Can you give us a few examples of when this has happened?

I would have IF Lazzard who I notice you DID NOT pick up on with this glib statement gave us some evidence..........but then you wouldn't of course

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th June 2023, 10:51 AM

Because countless 'committed killers' have been found to be not guilty many years later.

countless 'committed killers' - countless??? How do you explain that Mr Hallam? In the meantime, Billy has got that pretty much covered - pick the bones out of this lot and you explain yourself

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th June 2023, 9:41 PM

...and here's another 30+: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16638227 plus a further 129: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10302361/Jailed-life-freed-kill-129-criminals-double-lifers-10-years.html

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th June 2023, 4:49 PM

So kill them all, just in case.

Just in case what? That doesn't make sense.
Yes, they 've done the dirty deed, now they have to pay with their life.

Whilst your rΓ΄le as Forum Contrarian is often quite amusing, it can get a little tiresome.
Points scored in a game that no-one was actually playing don't really count.

What bare-faced bloody cheek!! And you're not, of course - you repeatedly set yourself up as the guardian of this forum and we must all take heed of what Judge Lazzard says, as he has the wisdom of Solomon.

And then you hit Billy with a patronising "quite amusing", forgetting that it is YOU who often gets a little tiresome!!

You typically lose the argument and resort to veiled insults

* grabs popcorn *

πŸ˜— 🍿

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th June 2023, 11:09 AM

* grabs popcorn *

πŸ˜— 🍿

😁 I was going to drag you into it with one of your statements, but I have the two main ones in my sight, show enjoy the show!

I just asked a perfectly innocent question. No need to blow your top!

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 10th June 2023, 11:48 AM

Bold, italics and Caps

You got buuuuuuurned dude πŸ”₯

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th June 2023, 11:01 AM

I would have IF Lazzard who I notice you DID NOT pick up on with this glib statement gave us some evidence..........but then you wouldn't of course

You asked me not to.
Read your own post.

Just in case what? That doesn't make sense.
Yes, they 've done the dirty deed, now they have to pay with their life.

Well, yes, that is the premis of the Death Penalty.
You were claiming that it's not revenge, but, from what I can gather, to guard against a judge later on deciding they should be released, and they then going on to commit another muder.
'Life means life' would have the same effect and not involve the murdering of (sometimes innocent) human beings.

What bare-faced bloody cheek!! And you're not, of course - you repeatedly set yourself up as the guardian of this forum and we must all take heed of what Judge Lazzard says, as he has the wisdom of Solomon.

Billy's a big boy and he knows exactly what he's doing.
"Guardian of the forum" - is that like a budget version of Guardians of the Galaxy?
I have opinions that you don't agree with and vice versa.
No-one has to take heed.
You certainly don't.

And then you hit Billy with a patronising "quite amusing", forgetting that it is YOU who often gets a little tiresome!!

Very amusing would have been a lie.
As would not amusing.
I choose my words carefully

You typically lose the argument and resort to veiled insults.

Not convinced I've lost this one.
And if my insults appear veiled, then I'm obviously not doing them properly.
Must try harder.

Well you were given some answers.

As a Christian I don't believe in the death penalty but keep them locked up.

Breaking:

Oh maaaaaaan it's hot out today

πŸ₯΅ 🌞

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th June 2023, 2:08 PM

Oh maaaaaaan it's hot out today

Wanna trade places? You haven't lived until you've mowed your lawn in 105F temperatures.

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th June 2023, 11:33 PM

But many states record that crime is actually worse in states that have the death penalty, rather than lower.

"During a lengthy House debate regarding the bill, Representative Jack Minor (D-Flint) told his colleagues that studies show crime rates are lower in states without the death penalty. He noted, "The death penalty's not a deterrent. In fact, the figures would suggest it's just the opposite." Other opponents of the measure stated that "revenge" would not help victims' families. "

Really doesn't seem to act as a deterrent

It's a complicated matter. Taking a look at the congressman's words, you'll notice that he mentions crime rates (which could include everything from disturbing the peace to murder) when he should only be addressing the violent crimes that are actually punishable by execution.

It's not politically acceptable to say so, but the reality is that the murder rate is strongly dependent upon factors including race, income, population, and gang membership. Those factors themselves are also very much interrelated.

I am not a proponent of the death penalty for the most part, although I'll make concessions for cases of treason and the most horrific of crimes. I don't think someone should be executed by the government without one or more of the following:

1. A confession.
2. Video evidence (everything seems to be caught on video these days.)
3. Being caught in the act by the police. There should be a video as well.
4. Multiple eyewitness accounts.

Quote: DaButt @ 10th June 2023, 2:38 PM

I am not a proponent of the death penalty for the most part, although I'll make concessions for cases of treason and the most horrific of crimes. I don't think someone should be executed by the government without one or more of the following:

1. A confession.
2. Video evidence (everything seems to be caught on video these days.)
3. Being caught in the act by the police. There should be a video as well.
4. Multiple eyewitness accounts.

But even then, why?
Having said that, your criteria are so tough, barely anyone would get the ultimate sanction.
And then only the stupid and highly inept perps.(possibly mentally not right) - so still seems unfair.

Quote: DaButt @ 10th June 2023, 2:19 PM

Wanna trade places? You haven't lived until you've mowed your lawn in 105F temperatures.

Mind you, hats off to managing to even grow a lawn under those conditions.

You're enough to make a saint swear, that's why - when you question and ask for proof what I post and not Lazz who speaks from on high.

And I notice you haven't commented on Billy links re murderers who commit murder again.

Quote: lofthouse @ 10th June 2023, 11:58 AM

Bold, italics and Caps

You got buuuuuuurned dude πŸ”₯

No I didn't - he had no answer, and if I could have used a flaming font, I would have done, being so pissed off

I'll ignore the Lazz diatribe, as there is no point in commenting on anything he states

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th June 2023, 3:01 PM

Having said that, your criteria are so tough, barely anyone would get the ultimate sanction.

You're underestimating the availability of confessions, video evidence (civilian and law enforcement), and witnesses to our murders. They're fairly common - including confessions made to avoid more severe sentences such as the death penalty. You're also likely overestimating the number of executions performed, as it is already exceedingly unlikely that any murderer will be executed for their crime. It's on the order of about one in a thousand, and that's fine with me.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th June 2023, 3:01 PM

Mind you, hats off to managing to even grow a lawn under those conditions.

It's quite an expensive struggle, and some years it's a losing battle. There aren't many types of grass that can handle the temperatures and frequent droughts.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th June 2023, 3:38 PM

No I didn't - he had no answer, and if I could have used a flaming font, I would have done, being so pissed off

I'll ignore the Lazz diatribe, as there is no point in commenting on anything he states

It's the Internet, and people have varying opinions. You shouldn't let it get to you. Most disagreements around here are relatively civil.