British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,589

Personally I'd rather be put out of misery straight away than subjected to many years in gaol, and all that entails, even if I didn't do what I was found guilty of.

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th June 2023, 10:51 AM

It's not like it's any sort of deterrent.

Really? When there was a death penalty, villains thought twice - or their associates made sure they did - before carrying weapons with them. Now they don't have to.

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th June 2023, 4:49 PM

So kill them all, just in case.

Just make Life mean Life.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 9th June 2023, 4:04 PM

If you'll me one last blast - it has absolutely nothing to do with revenge, whatsoever.

It's protection - there have been too many killers released because "they have learnt their lesson", who go on to kill again.

Can you give us a few examples of when this has happened?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th June 2023, 5:48 PM

Personally I'd rather be put out of misery straight away than subjected to many years in gaol, and all that entails, even if I didn't do what I was found guilty of.

But don't you think that should be your choice?

Really? When there was a death penalty, villains thought twice - or their associates made sure they did - before carrying weapons with them. Now they don't have to.

But Herc was talking about nutters.
Not about armed robbery.

Quote: Chappers @ 9th June 2023, 6:07 PM

Just make Life mean Life.

100%

Sir Jacob Rees Mogg and Dame Priti Patel.

F**king hell.

I repeat.

F**king hell.

Boris Johnson's quits as MP

Statement just released:

"Waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaa booo hoooo!!! Mummy!! Waaaaaaaaaa!! πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ΏπŸ‘ΆπŸ» 😭 "

Good riddance

A shameful end to a career characterised by dishonesty. He is thoroughly disgraced. Good riddance indeed.

Forced out - by a 'biased' privileges committee -a committee made up of a majority of CONSERVATIVE MP's

Close the door on your way out , you lying buffoon

Quote: Lazzard @ 9th June 2023, 6:46 PM

But Herc was talking about nutters.
Not about armed robbery.

What Herc may (or may not) have been talking about is irrelevant.

You said that Capital punishment was not a deterrent and it was that assertion that I was addressing.

It's not a deterent

They still have the death penalty in some US states - does it stop murders? Nope

Most murderers don't think they are going to get caught anyway

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 9th June 2023, 6:11 PM

Can you give us a few examples of when this has happened?

Wasn't that Islamist who killed in London one such person?

Quote: Chappers @ 9th June 2023, 9:15 PM

Wasn't that Islamist who killed in London one such person?

...and here's another 30+: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16638227

plus a further 129: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10302361/Jailed-life-freed-kill-129-criminals-double-lifers-10-years.html

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th June 2023, 9:13 PM

It's not a deterent

They still have the death penalty in some US states - does it stop murders? Nope

That's a nonsensical argument. How do you know how many murders there would be if they didn't have the death penalty? It would certainly stop them from doing it again!

Let them have it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th June 2023, 9:41 PM

That's a nonsensical argument. How do you know how many murders there would be if they didn't have the death penalty? It would certainly stop them from doing it again!

Maybe, maybe not

But many states record that crime is actually worse in states that have the death penalty, rather than lower.

"During a lengthy House debate regarding the bill, Representative Jack Minor (D-Flint) told his colleagues that studies show crime rates are lower in states without the death penalty. He noted, "The death penalty's not a deterrent. In fact, the figures would suggest it's just the opposite." Other opponents of the measure stated that "revenge" would not help victims' families. "

Really doesn't seem to act as a deterrent

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 9th June 2023, 9:03 PM

What Herc may (or may not) have been talking about is irrelevant.

You said that Capital punishment was not a deterrent and it was that assertion that I was addressing.

Whilst your rΓ΄le as Forum Contrarian is often quite amusing, it can get a little tiresome.
Points scored in a game that no-one was actually playing don't really count.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 9th June 2023, 8:51 PM

A shameful end to a career characterised by dishonesty. He is thoroughly disgraced. Good riddance indeed.

And I should imagine no-one's more pleased that the Tory Party.
He was like a spoilt child who wanted to take his ball away because he was dropped from the team.

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th June 2023, 8:11 PM

Boris Johnson's quits as MP

Statement just released:

"Waaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaa waaaaaa booo hoooo!!! Mummy!! Waaaaaaaaaa!! πŸ˜ͺπŸ˜ΏπŸ‘ΆπŸ» 😭 "

Good riddance

I certainly shall be raising a glass.