British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,577

Someone who has lived here for 10, 20 or even 30 years and has worked and contributed and had kids and grandkids here too - can't vote ?

Seems pretty f**kin stoopid

Some cretin in the daily mail is already saying Labour is 'planning to RIG the next election' !

They really are trying to copy the f**king republican goons in America with all their bullshit!

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th May 2023, 1:33 PM

Someone who has lived here for 10, 20 or even 30 years and has worked and contributed and had kids and grandkids here too - can't vote ?

Not if they aren't citizens. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

They really are trying to copy the f**king Democrat goons in America with all their bullshit!

Wanting to give the vote to people who came to this country illegally? Yeah, it's a despicable (and perpetual) power grab that they want.

We all know that if every illegal border crosser was Republican-leaning, then both parties would swap positions so fast it would make your head spin.

We don't 'rig' elections in Great Britain

Just like they didnt in America!

Quote: DaButt @ 15th May 2023, 1:41 PM

Wanting to give the vote to people who came to this country illegally? Yeah, it's a despicable (and perpetual) power grab that they want.

They're not suggesting that here.
They're talking about people who have settled status - nurses, care home workers, carpenters...
All paying tax and most paying National insurance but without a say in how the country is run.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th May 2023, 1:16 PM

Bollocks should they, they're not British citizens, they've merely been granted leave to stay. If they don't like that they can f**k off back to Eastern Europe and live. Most of them will have the vote in their home countries still anyway, just like many of our expats in Spain you deplore. I expect the ones living a poncy life in France writing novels or cookery books are alright with you?

I blame this on the pills, too.

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th May 2023, 1:54 PM

We don't 'rig' elections in Great Britain

Just like they didnt in America!

I can't speak about Great Britain, be we most certainly rig elections here. People (mainly from a certain political party) like to pretend that it doesn't happen, and many cases aren't prosecuted, but it most assuredly takes place in elections large and small.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th May 2023, 2:03 PM

All paying tax and most paying National insurance but without a say in how the country is run.

Money shouldn't equal a vote. That's the problem with many (most?) elections.

If they're not citizens, then they shouldn't have a vote. A good litmus test would be how they'd react to being conscripted into the military.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th May 2023, 2:03 PM

They're not suggesting that here.
They're talking about people who have settled status - nurses, care home workers, carpenters...

And nor should they ffs! What the hell do they know about being British after a couple of years living here courtesy of the EU - which makes them politically very Labour/Lib Dem/SNP/Green vote inclined ie, left leaning pro EU??? Like DaButt says, that would be politically used by a party as a crude mass power grab, and the law should not be changed on this at any time.

And I wouldn't dream of relocating to Germany or Poland or any country expecting to get a vote after a couple of years equal to an 80plus year old native in their own elections ffs. So why the hell should they here?

It's not even a policy....

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th May 2023, 2:26 PM

....that would be politically used by a party as a crude mass power grab, and the law should not be changed on this at any time. ?

There's only one party in this country brazen and corrupt enough to try to crudely grab power :

The Conservative government's introduction of voter ID was an attempt at "gerrymandering" that backfired against the party, senior Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg has said.

The former cabinet minister said the policy - which saw voters required to have photo ID when voting at England's local elections - had made it harder for elderly Tories to vote and "upset a system that worked perfectly well".

Speaking at the National Conservatism conference on Monday, Mr Rees-Mogg said: "Parties that try and gerrymander end up finding their clever scheme comes back to bite them - as dare I say we found by insisting on voter ID for elections."

"We found the people who didn't have ID were elderly and they by and large voted Conservative, so we made it hard for our own voters and we upset a system that worked perfectly well," he added.

From the horses mouth - he was in the cabinet when this crap was originated - yet he went along with it knowing it was gerrymandering and a sly sneaky attempt to restrict Labours votes

THEY EVEN ADMIT IT

And the best bit is it failed anyway

This bunch of idiots can't even cheat properly

Seems pretty f**kin stoopid
Some cretin in the daily mail is already saying Labour is 'planning to RIG the next election' !

You read the Daily Mail? You must be a fascist.

Some people would be fine with the current Ukrainian refugees getting a vote

Cos they are the right colour....

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th May 2023, 2:26 PM

And nor should they ffs! What the hell do they know about being British after a couple of years living here courtesy of the EU - which makes them politically very Labour/Lib Dem/SNP/Green vote inclined ie, left leaning pro EU???

Why do you keep saying a couple of years when what was said was "10, 20. 30 years".
And they're not living here "courtesy of the EU".
We gave them settled status (because we needed them, if truth be told)
Personally, I would have thought the contribution you make to a country should have some bearing,
Rather than simply the postcode where your mother happened to shit you out.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th May 2023, 2:47 PM

You read the Daily Mail? You must be a fascist.

Yeah you've made that 'joke' about ten times this month

News websites carry stories by all Newspapers

Which is the only reason I get to know about their lies and bullshit theories

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th May 2023, 2:30 PM

There's only one party in this country brazen and corrupt enough to try to crudely grab power :
The Conservative government's introduction of voter ID was an attempt at "gerrymandering" that backfired against the party, senior Tory Jacob Rees-Mogg has said.

And that's exactly what this latest Labour plan is, gerrymandering to the defecting LibDem voters who promise their voters everything on a plate until they get in power and welch on
it. You must incredibly naive to think Labour, Lib Dems whoever don't stoop to such low political ploys to get their cherished power. It's been going on for decades. Starmer is constantly saying it's only power that matters, I think that's a good clue to how Machiavellian and brazen he will be to become PM.

He has more integrity in his little finger than Boris Johnson has in his entire body

Cheats on his wives, cheats on his colleagues, cheats on the rules , cheats on the law

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th May 2023, 2:50 PM

Why do you keep saying a couple of years when what was said was "10, 20. 30 years".
And they're not living here "courtesy of the EU".
We gave them settled status (because we needed them, if truth be told)
Personally, I would have thought the contribution you make to a country should have some bearing,
Rather than simply the postcode where your mother happened to shit you out.

Because it's not 10, 20, 30 years is it, it's only two and half years since EU citizens were barred from settling here under the EU free movement scheme. And the mad rush for settled status only began in 2019 when the scheme opened. And we can only be talking 19 years max, and a lot less for the Romanians & Bulgarians, as the subject of this debate is EU citizens, who the rest of the EU held back on letting in, knowing full well muggins UK would be taking the lions share and encourage them to choose us over them when they did belatedly open their doors, the crafty bastards. Many of those've who've been here 10, 15 years plus continually are likely to have acquired full citizenship so can legally vote.

And it's been very hotly contested infact proved complete utter bollocks that we needed 6 million of them! Really??? Mostly unskilled. All it's done is supress the normal wage progression due to the massive surplus of cheap available labour which many employers exploited to the hilt, eventually leading to severe and damaging shortages in some sectors like HGV haulage, hospitality and health and medical care when we left, kill the available supply of housing, in turn shooting up house prices, and with it mortgage cost and private rent rates while wages stagnated. Hence the wholly sensible and deserved vote to leave that damaging institution.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th May 2023, 4:24 PM

And I'm sorry but that last line is beneath you, or if it isn't, wtf are still doing here if you have such little respect for your own people and country?

People have to earn respect.
it's not a given.