British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,566

I thought I did, and I deliberately said assault style, not assault, as I know assault rifles have auto fire unlike the almost identical looking 'assault style' rifle legally sold in gunshops, And auto fire I regard as basically the same function as a sub machine gun, rapid continuous fire on one trigger pull.

You seem to think I said the legal to buy 'assault style' rifle that the nutter used is like a machine gun. I said nothing of the sort, I said it (AFAIK) is the 'closest thing to a machine gun (automatic fire assault rifle included) used by the military, you can legally buy, and surely it is, as what else can you buy off the shelf there that is closer ie. has a more rapid fire rate without being automatic?

You tube has lots of videos demonstrating how to 'bump fire' (manipulate an automatic style rapid fire rate with fast single trigger pulls) a legal semi auto weapon pistol or rifle, and the pistols used like a common 1911 style were achieving a higher rate of fire than some WW2 sub machine guns like the Sten or Colt. So, in the wrong hands, with widely available guides on how to do it, these things must be the closest legal firearms to a military machine gun/carbine/assault rifle.

Quote: DaButt @ 1st May 2023, 1:05 AM

Don't try to disarm the good guys until the bad guys are disarmed.

Where have I said that? I don't agree with disarming responsible licenced gun holders at all. But the sale of assault style weapons which are increasingly the weapon of choice for mass shooting murderers is in my opinion nuts. Stand up to the industry and ban them ffs. I doubt they'll go bust, with all the other types they can still sell.

It's obvious the gun situation can never be resolved. The discussions and arguments here make it clear.
So we will keep reading about mass killings of innocent people and Americans will accept it as a trade-off for keeping their deadly weapons.
Innocent children will regularly have their young lives stopped with bullets shot through their bodies and the same excuses will be rolled out.

You're right, SG (Did I just ssay that out loud?).
If it was going to be resolved quickly, it would have been resolved by now.
The culture was born in a haze of gun smoke.
Perhaps if we had photographs of relatives who'd fought & died in the English Civil War, we'd still be clinging to our weapons.
It will take generations to un-pick.
One thing we can be sure of - no amount of collateral damage - children or otherwise - will hasten the process.

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st May 2023, 10:09 AM

The culture was born in a haze of Gunsmoke

Ahh yes, remember it well with James Arness as Marshall Matt Dillon, in the rootin' tootin' Dodge City, and it was this TV series that brought Dennis Weaver to the world's attention when he played his sidekick Chester, with the gammy leg, which caused a minor stir as people remembered him as being very athletic, but for some reason the part required him to have a limp.

Chester: (limping to the Marshall's office) "Mr Dillon, Mr Dillon! Them their Clayton boys is a shootin' up** over at the Lazy U ranch!"

I'm full of trivia shit like that 😁

** Guns you understand - nothing involving needles. This was a clean town! Apart from everyone shooting each other, that is.

One thing we can be sure of - no amount of collateral damage - children or otherwise - will hasten the process.

I tend to think it will, eventually and most probably in stages and against an awful lot of resistance. One mass shooting of primary school children here changed handgun ownership laws very quickly in Britain, I believe a similar thing happened in Australia.

You're going to get more school shootings in America before they are forced to ban certain types of guns and take them off the streets but no civilised country will stand for their innocent children being slaughtered at will. It will probably need a Democrat govt. to do it and may even need an all white group of young victims in a posh neighbourhood to finally push them into doing it, but I believe one day, some drastic action will finally be taken to at least limit the number of these nutcase led massacres.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 1st May 2023, 10:42 AM

One mass shooting of primary school children here changed handgun ownership laws very quickly in Britain, I believe a similar thing happened in Australia.

I think this makes my point.
If it was going to happen, it would have happened by now.
And 'mass shootings' only count for a tiny percentage of child gun-related fatalities.
It's mainly inner-city violence.
And of 15 kids & teens killed - only one will be white - so it's not necessarily at the top of everyone's to-do list.
So, take a significantly higher percentage of those living in poverty and a proliferation of guns....

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st May 2023, 11:01 AM

It's mainly inner-city violence.

That will continue but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the recent spate of school shootings there, where very young children are wilfully targeted by a lone wolf gunman/woman/non binary nutter. One of the primary roles of a state is to protect their children from injury or death, and billions are spent on this cause by the state and by industry to ensure our most vulnerable of citizens are protected. Then you bypass it all by selling highly effective killing machines to anyone that qualifies for a licence, which is almost anyone, in practice.

These events are the most damaging acts that a so called civilised Western country with huge influence in the free world can suffer and they are happening on a regular basis now. It is damaging their status and standing and relationship with the rest of the 1st world who just can't understand why they won't or can't make attempts to at least curb the ownership of the choice weapon being used in these massacres - quick firing, large capacity magazine fed assault style rifles firing more powerful ammo than handguns. What the hell does it take to ban their domestic sale, or at least strictly limit their use and storage to gun clubs as our law did with handguns after the Dunblane massacre?

They are not needed or particularly useful for home defence of your being and property, shotguns and handguns being far more effective and practical for that, which most gun owning homes already have. I can't in nay way see a need or reason for these weapons to be in legal circulation, other than in the facilitating of a profitable industry.

For goodness sake:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/34123/

Yes but they just argue that all you need to do is arm the teachers- then when it all kicks off they can go all Rambo on their asses

teachers with a bullet proof vest, combat knife strapped to the thigh, dual pistols and a pump action shotgun

Land mines in the hall ways

Give the school bus driver a rocket propelled grenade launcher

Surface to air anti aircraft missiles on the school roof?

Or maybe they've just been watching to many of their Hollywood action movies?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st May 2023, 11:49 AM

For goodness sake:

I like that you're missing the traditional Tory bashing we usually reserve this thread for.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st May 2023, 11:49 AM

For goodness sake:

Yes but when replying to a post on This thread and quoting from it, how do you not keep your comments on this thread? I wouldn't have a clue how to transfer it over.

Quote: chipolata @ 1st May 2023, 11:57 AM

I like that you're missing the traditional Tory bashing we usually reserve this thread for.

I not averse to a bit of Tory bashing. I do it myself when warranted. It's the rose-tinted, naive idea that Labour are beyond reproach and the answer to all our woes that I object to.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 1st May 2023, 12:07 PM

I not averse to a bit of Tory bashing. I do it myself when warranted. It's the rose-tinted, naive idea that Labour are beyond reproach and the answer to all our woes that I object to.

Well said. Unless "Tory" is your nick name for your plonker*

* knob, joystick, police constable, winkle, weenie, chopper, tadger, schlonger need I go on ?

You're right, SG (Did I just ssay that out loud?).

There is more that unites us than divides us.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd May 2023, 7:32 AM

There is more that unites us than divides us.

Quick! Pass me that bucket...........