British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,559

Wowwwwwwwwww....

A Tory politician is being investigated by party chiefs after allegedly saying: "All white men should have a black man as a slave".

County councillor Andrew Edwards is also accused of saying black people were of "lower class" than whites and has refused to deny the claims.

The allegations emerged after an audio recording appeared online and was identified as Mr Edwards' voice.

The Pembrokeshire County councillor - who also sat as a magistrate until he resigned in July last year - said he had referred himself to ombudsmen and left the party.

The Conservatives confirmed it was investigating the allegations and that self-employed hairdresser Mr Edwards had not yet been suspended.

On the recording, the speaker says: "Nothing wrong with the skin colour at all.

"I think all white men should have a black man as a slave or black woman as a slave, you know.

"There's nothing wrong with skin colour, it's just that they're lower class than us white people."

😳😳😳

I think they're pretty good at filtering out the racists etc at a parliamentary level.
At Councillor level, it's a bit of a cesspit.

Much the same as the Labour Party really.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/02/labour-party-racism-allegations-prejudice-keir-starmer

Well, I'd always take a Corbynista's viewpoint with a pinch of salt - especially when it comes to racism.
But, yes, there's a lot of it about.
I think Labour are better at purging it than the Tories - but there's never an excuse for it.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th April 2023, 6:06 PM

Much the same as the Labour Party really.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/02/labour-party-racism-allegations-prejudice-keir-starmer

I'd like to read that but it's the Grauniad.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th April 2023, 6:15 PM

I'd like to read that but it's the Grauniad.

You should always keep a watchful eye on what your opponents are thinking and doing.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th April 2023, 6:40 PM

You should always keep a watchful eye on what your opponents are thinking and doing.

That's why your beloved Daily Mail gets so many mentions.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th April 2023, 6:40 PM

Ionically, The Guardian is one of the few places you will read informed criticism of the Labour Party.

Straight into a scandal about a party you hate, totally ignoring that your own is as bad.
Call racism out where you find it but don't imply it's just one party.
Not one post on here (from you lefties) about racism within the red party.

Your love and hate is totally unbalanced and absolutely blinkered.
I would change my vote in a second if I thought another party's ideals aligned with mine.
And that is the difference.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 13th April 2023, 8:20 PM

Straight into a scandal about a party you hate, totally ignoring that your own is as bad.
Call racism out where you find it but don't imply it's just one party.
Not one post on here (from you lefties) about racism within the red party.

You want to try reading my actual posts, rather than leaping in with both feet .
I clearly stated that there was racism everywhere.
"But, yes, there's a lot of it about.
I think Labour are better at purging it than the Tories - but there's never an excuse for it
."
There was even a tacit accusation of racism in the Labour party when it cones to anti-semitism.

I think there's only one guy blinkered by hate round here.

Next time I read about a Labour or Lib Dem politician stating that black people are low class rubbish fit only to slave after the white middle classes - I'll post it

It's a promise

(Just don't hold yer fkn breath)

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th April 2023, 8:53 PM

Next time I read about a Labour or Lib Dem politician stating that black people are low class rubbish fit only to slave after the white middle classes - I'll post it

It's a promise

(Just don't hold yer fkn breath)

It's not the actual verbatim wording that is the pertinent factor but the racist thoughts and actions behind it. And, as we have seen, they could just as easily come from a Labour party politician as a Conservative. You really must take those rose coloured glasses off when looking at the Labour party.

I think the best approach is to attack racism when you see it.
Not indulge in a lot of 'whataboutery', which can come across as defending vile, appalling & hurtful slurs.
And words do matter.
And, no, I don't think a Labour politician could easily have said that.
As I said, I think they're a lot better at rooting it out - as a lot of expelled anti-semites (including a former leader) will attest.
Believe it or not, some parties allow their racists to remain as Home Secretary.

I think there's only one guy blinkered by hate round here.

I have no hate - for anyone but I do dislike it when someone grades racism.
'Your lot are worse - so that cancels out our racism, eh Lofty.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th April 2023, 11:16 AM

I have no hate - for anyone but I do dislike it when someone grades racism.
'Your lot are worse - so that cancels out our racism, eh Lofty.

Is that what anyone said?
Don't think so.