British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,558

Latest Labour party campaign. Going back to 2010 when Sunak was not even an MP and Starmer was Director of Public Prosecutions. Who of the two would have been the more responsible for that statistic?

I don't know what Labour are playing at with this.
It's a pretty poor show and there's no need for them to get involved in this sort of dog-whistle stuff.
They're way ahead in the polls - now's the time to stay classy, not descend into the mire.
They've had a lot of kick back from Labour supporters over this.
I'm hoping they'll withdraw it soon - but the damage is done.

The answer to your question is clearly neither Sunak or Starmer is responsible.

Well Sunak continually says Starmer is "on the side of the people smugglers" - which is clearly bullshit too

Anyway, under Corbyn Labour had this thing about not using dirty tactics and bringing politics in the gutter - Corbyns reward for that stance was to continually have his name dragged through the mud day after day

Labour need to play them at their own game

Quote: lofthouse @ 7th April 2023, 10:39 AM

Well Sunak continually says Starmer is "on the side of the people smugglers" - which is clearly bullshit too

Anyway, under Corbyn Labour has this thing about not using dirty tactics and bringing politics in the gutter - Corbyns reward for that stance was to continually have his name dragged through the mud day after day

Labour need to play them at their own game

I disagree, to be honest.
The two parties are in very different positions.
The Tories have to stop people drifting away in the face of the sleaze and shambles they bought to the country.
The best way to do that is to re-enforce their voters prejudices and convince them that Labour are just as bad as them.
Labour need to get new voters by offering change - not the same old shit we've had for 13 years.
So they shouldn't play the same game - and certainly shouldn't be slinging untruths around.
The truth is plenty bad enough to sink the Tories.
Stick to that.

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th April 2023, 10:36 AM

The answer to your question is clearly neither Sunak or Starmer is responsible.

Wrong. My question was who is the more responsible. Clearly that is Starmer. Someone who was in charge of prosecutions or a layman who, like you & I, had no influence over either prosecutions or the enactment of laws back to 2010.

That's a bit over-simplistic.
It's about current laws, judges, sentencing guidelines, prison capacity etc etc.
But, as I said, it's a disingenuous slur and Labour should be above that.
Plus it gives the opposition as easy win.

Moreover, there'll be some very determined bods in the legal profession to see Labour don't keep this promise. They've set themselves a very hard task to fulfil.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th April 2023, 12:38 PM

Moreover, there'll be some very determined bods in the legal profession to see Labour don't keep this promise. They've set themselves a very hard task to fulfil.

It's an all round dumb piece of communication.
And of course, these days, you can't 'take things down' - they just keep getting re-tweeted ad infinitum.

Read all abard'it! "SNP auditors resign"

More rats leaving the sinking ship - poor wee birdie. 😉

The Dalai Lama should be ashamed of himself. 70 years as an international religious leader and all you can get is one kiss? My local Catholic priest's had more kiddie action than you. You're shit, mate.

Another great British Brexit success story...

The boss of a Derbyshire lace manufacturer which can trace its history back three centuries says that due to Brexit, his company faces being "killed off by our own side in a couple of years" because of levies imposed on it.

Chris Mason, the managing director of The Cluny Lace Company, which is based in Ilkeston, says that after a recent audit, HMRC decided to levy an 8% duty on the return of all the lace it manufacturers in the UK, sent to France for dyeing, and then gets back for further finishing.

Mason made the revelation in a letter to the Financial Times, in which he revealed the levy has been backdated over to two year to when Brexit came into being.

He added: "We have spent more than 200 years building our business, fought for 30 years against the global textile trend of moving to the Far East and have now been killed off by our own side. We all lose."

If it's bad - blame Brexit. If it's good - don't mention it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 12th April 2023, 7:28 AM

If it's good - don't mention it.

Ah! That would explain why no-one is talking about the benefits of Brexit.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th April 2023, 8:27 PM

Another great British Brexit success story...
8% duty on the return of all the lace it manufacturers in the UK, sent to France for dyeing

Now we've lost silly EU rules we can be creative with our own child labour laws and get Primark lace made in 3rd world countries teenagers would die for. How else will our teens afford their vaping habits ?

The morning breakfast show had a section where two live reporters drove a Ford autonomous self-driving car on the motorway today.
In the studio, they were extolling the virtues of being able to relax and enjoy your morning commute by not having the stress caused by early morning rush hour on busy motorways.
The live feed from inside the car told a different story.
The driver had his hands off the steering wheel but they were inches away from it and they were balled up in nervous tension.
His feet were next to the pedals ready to slam on the brakes and his whole body was stiff.
And while the passenger seat reporter was talking, the car decided to overtake the car in front and he and the driver immediately stopped talking mid-sentence to watch it do it with palpable fear.