British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,555

Brexit really starting to produce fruit now:

The UK has signed a deal to join a trade pact with 11 Asia and Pacific nations, three years after it officially left the European Union.

This groundbreaking deal for Britain will add 0.08% to our economy

0.08% !! Woot woot!

And the best bit is that it will only take TEN YEARS for this 0.08% to be achieved

Put that in your pipes, remainer idiots

Quote: lofthouse @ 31st March 2023, 11:57 AM

0.08% !! Woot woot!

Or about 2 billion pounds.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st March 2023, 7:54 AM

But what does a Christmas card with a picture of your whole family holding semi-automatic guns mean?

"We are strong supporters of the Second Amendment. We vote to support our Constitutional rights, and so will our children."

Or we vote to kill over 30.000 people by them in the new year - or in a good year (2020) 45.000

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 31st March 2023, 12:50 PM

Or we vote to kill over 30.000 people by them in the new year - or in a good year (2020) 45.000

The majority of those are suicides. Brits throw themselves in front of trains, while we're polite enough to avoid interfering with public transportation.

P.S. I think you'll find that someone who poses for Christmas cards with their guns, would also vote for increasing penalties for the millions of criminals who carry guns illegally and account for the rest of our gun-related deaths.

I don't know which is more tiresome, the regular, unrelenting deaths of innocent children or this pointless debate we have every time.
They will never change.
All we can do is make sure we, here, never, ever go down the same suicidal path.

Quote: Lazzard @ 31st March 2023, 2:00 PM

or this pointless debate we have every time.

You could say that about every debate we have on here.

Quote: chipolata @ 31st March 2023, 2:28 PM

You could say that about every debate we have on here.

I know what you mean.
But I find this one particularly disheartening.
Where's the pleasure in scoring points of each other when they're burying kids?

This is what I simply do not understand - why people get so het up about having the right to bear arms, as that 2nd Amendment was ratified in 1791, when the US was basically a lawless country and the people needed to bear arms, as there was no Wyatt Earp on every street corner to protect the general public.

That amendment is now well over 200 years old, and we (they) have police forces of various types to protect people, so saying "I have a right to bear arms" is stupid, anachronistic and totally short-sighted - in the meantime innocents are slaughtered on a regular basis.

Shame on you DB and all your other countrymen and women (and children FFS!!) who insist on maintaining their arsenal of guns, because of an ancient law that should no longer apply in a civilised (?) society.

It's partly cos they think the democrats are part of some satanic conspiracy to enslave the American people

Ban guns , so nobody can defend themselves when they decide to take over and throw everyone into slavery camps

Some shit like that

You couldn't make this shit up - but they DO

🤪🤪🤪

Quote: Lazzard @ 31st March 2023, 2:35 PM

But I find this one particularly disheartening.
Where's the pleasure in scoring points of each other when they're burying kids?

I, too, find it disheartening, and although I didn't start the conversation, I (sometimes) can't help but respond when someone essentially accuses me of supporting the murders of children. I understand that people in your country have been essentially conditioned to be repulsed by guns, but our country has a different history. I've shed many a tear when I see these news reports, and some have been very close to my town, but I know that the problem lies with certain segments of our society, our useless politicians, and an uneducated public.

I'm not sure how I can relate my experience and feelings to a foreign audience, but perhaps this might explain it:

Alcohol kills hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people. Some people can't control themselves, but most are constrained by legality, morality, and common sense. Imagine if an Englishperson were to have a few pints, drive home, and run over 8 school kids. Would you want your "right" to drink a pint or two with your friends rescinded, even though you're always a responsible drinker?

I wouldn't. I'm enjoying a nice brown ale at an ancient (in American terms) bar downtown. This bison burger (with homemade ketchup) is sublime.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st March 2023, 3:56 PM

we (they) have police forces of various types to protect people

Shame on you DB and all your other countrymen and women (and children FFS!!) who insist on maintaining their arsenal of guns

Millions of Americans live hours away from the nearest police presence. My son-in-law works in a district that's about a hundred miles wide.

As for me, please reserve your shaming for the people who are actually murdering people.

Quote: DaButt @ 31st March 2023, 7:07 PM

Alcohol kills hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people. Some people can't control themselves, but most are constrained by legality, morality, and common sense. Imagine if an Englishperson were to have a few pints, drive home, and run over 8 school kids. Would you want your "right" to drink a pint or two with your friends rescinded, even though you're always a responsible drinker?

Yes but buying a beer - and buying guns n rounds of ammunition aren't really comparable

So what's the plan though? Just carry on year after year after year burying kids? Whatever is in place now is clearly failing miserably

There is always going to be selfish arseholes who just cos their life sucks they are determined to take some poor innocent bastards with them when they go on a final rampage

It can only help surely by making it EXTREMELY difficult to get hold of guns

But yeah we can go round n round in circles like this for the next hundred years and sadly nothing will change

The difference between myself personally, and you - is that if I wanted to go into a building a kill indiscriminately , the best I could do is grab a knife from the kitchen drawer and try to stab a few people - cos I've never seen a gun, never held a gun and wouldn't know the first place or method to actually get hold of one

You on the other hand, could nip down to the mall tomorrow and mow down dozens and dozens of people before a cop shot your brains out

I know which is preferable!

cos I've never seen a gun, never held a gun and wouldn't know the first place or method to actually get hold of one

Me neither.

Quote: DaButt @ 31st March 2023, 7:40 PM

Millions of Americans live hours away from the nearest police presence. My son-in-law works in a district that's about a hundred miles wide.

As for me, please reserve your shaming for the people who are actually murdering people.

OK, sorry DB for being a bit harsh on you. I absolutely detest guns - my business partner collected them and one of my American friends loved his over and under shotgun, which didn't appeal to me one bit, and made me nervous whenever it was about.

Quote: DaButt @ 31st March 2023, 12:09 AM

The weaponization of the government continues apace. Republicans have long memories (their mascot is an elephant, after all), and we can expect similar revenge attacks against Democrats when Republicans eventually regain the presidency. They might even decide to file charges against Biden's sleazy and thoroughly corrupt son in the meantime.

We're one step closer to becoming a banana republic where every president is impeached and arrested. That won't be good for the nation.

He is 1000% correct, and his response was that of any reasonable person.

Not the same thing.
Hunter Biden has never been president. He's not even a politician.
Trump has been accused of breaking campaign finance laws, openly inciting civil insurrection and actively bullying people in an attempt to overturn a free and fair democratic election result.
Hardly trivial charges.