British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,251

Bent Coppers on BBC Four

Thank goodness those days are over..

Hughie Green: The Rise & Fall of Mr Saturday Night, broadcast on Channel 5 last Saturday.

They played the interview he did with a reporter from Radio Trent, which probably went a long way towards explaining his "fall":

I am sat in an armchair in a well belted trench coat with a dull lamp on behind me and a half bottle of scotch on a small table beside me watching the Ipcress File followed by Funeral In Berlin on a black and white TV .

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 16th March 2023, 10:50 PM

I am sat in an armchair in a well belted trench coat with a dull lamp on behind me and a half bottle of scotch on a small table beside me watching the Ipcress File followed by Funeral In Berlin on a black and white TV .

Hard to believe he turned ninety this week.

Not a lot of people know that.

New Eggheads on Channel 5

Sometimes I flick Dan wootton on for a few seconds just to see what garbage pours out of his gob

Just did it now and he said that the written evidence Boris handed in today is "extremely impressive"

Yep that's plenty... click

Absolute gobshite

Just noticed it's the Boat Race this afternoon. They kept that quiet! Trouble is it clashes with the England match. Which will be the more exciting, that's the question.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to quote someone in a reply? The only options I can see are Report and Permalink. Thanks.

Oh. Quote has suddenly appeared now...

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 16th March 2023, 10:50 PM

Listen to me, Teddy.
Listen TO me.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th March 2023, 11:10 AM

Just noticed it's the Boat Race this afternoon. They kept that quiet! Trouble is it clashes with the England match. Which will be the more exciting, that's the question.

Well, I think the Boat Race just edged it for excitement.

Being a massive Charles Dickens fan, I said I wouldn't watch this new "trendy" version as it might go too far in catering for today's woke crowd, and alter the story somewhat, but I did and am now sitting on the fence.

Took a while to get to where the book starts, and when it did, those scenes on the Kent marshes were superbly filmed and did highlight more brutally how prisoners were treated then, than any previous version of the story.

I've been spoilt by the superb 2011 version with Gillian Anderson as Miss Haversham, so Olivia Coleman has a lot to live up to imo and be better or at least as good as Gillian was - she was simply brilliant.

We'll see................

SAS Who dares wins (the American version)
If you watched the British version - they were pretty horrible to the recruits but the American version was another three steps up.
They set fire to them and made them run to a sand pit ablaze to dock themselves out.
And, they tied their hands behind their backs and bound their feet and threw them into a 20ft deep pool (called the drowning test)
It was shocking and thrilling.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th March 2023, 11:15 AM

Being a massive Charles Dickens fan, I said I wouldn't watch this new "trendy" version as it might go too far in catering for today's woke crowd, and alter the story somewhat, but I did and am now sitting on the fence.

Took a while to get to where the book starts, and when it did, those scenes on the Kent marshes were superbly filmed and did highlight more brutally how prisoners were treated then, than any previous version of the story.

I've been spoilt by the superb 2011 version with Gillian Anderson as Miss Haversham, so Olivia Coleman has a lot to live up to imo and be better or at least as good as Gillian was - she was simply brilliant.

We'll see................

Watching it tonight.
After Succession, probably - which I'm ridiculously excited about.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th March 2023, 11:10 AM

I missed that. Who got to the final this year?

Quote: Chappers @ 27th March 2023, 7:24 PM

I missed that. Who got to the final this year?

The final was Oxford Ladies v Cambridge Ladies. I believe there was a men's race as well.