British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,531

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th February 2023, 8:26 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/grossly-overpaid-mps-shamed-for-accepting-pay-rise-amid-cost-of-living-crisis/ar-AA17tDcY?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d0c4a1fa05904c9fbaf2f1e0a1fe9cf3

Actually, I think they're underpaid.
All this talk of reducing their salaries is nonsense - it will just force out the poorer members of society
We have enough rich toffs governing us already.
They should get a fair bit more BUT expenses should be heavily curtailed.
And they should build a big block of flats for out-of-towners to use when attending.
No second hgomes on expenses.
A really decent wage and zero tolerance of any sort of dodgy dealings.
And no second jobs, board positions etc etc
Being an MP should be a really plum job, a real honour - it could be 200k p.a for all I care (there's only 600 or so of them)
But if you don't DO that job (turn up for votes, constituency clinics etc) or you try to turn it into a grift - you're out on your arse in disgrace.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th February 2023, 9:03 AM

All this talk of reducing their salaries is nonsense - it will just force out the poorer members of society
And they should build a big block of flats for out-of-towners to use when attending.
Being an MP should be a really plum job, a real honour - it could be 200k p.a for all I care (there's only 600 or so of them)
But if you don't DO that job (turn up for votes, constituency clinics etc) or you try to turn it into a grift - you're out on your arse in disgrace.

Yes I agree with most of this. With the salaries they're on they are ripe for bribery.

I'd love to do a job where people are always trying to bribe me.

Wee Jimmy has done one I see

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th February 2023, 10:58 AM

Wee Jimmy has done one I see

Is that JImmy Riddle? Always wetting the bed

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th February 2023, 9:03 AM

Agreed also. They are paid a measly pittance in comparison to what we ask and expect of them.

Quote: Aaron @ 15th February 2023, 12:22 PM

Agreed also. They are paid a measly pittance in comparison to what we ask and expect of them.

Measly pittance for making a mess of the economy, the police, the NHS, schools, the prisons, the cost of living, the railways and public transport in general etc etc

Thank God, I wouldn't want to reward them substantially for being so utterly terrible at their jobs

Quote: lofthouse @ 15th February 2023, 12:49 PM

Measly pittance for making a mess of the economy, the police, the NHS, schools, the prisons, the cost of living, the railways and public transport in general etc etc

Thank God, I wouldn't want to reward them substantially for being so utterly terrible at their jobs

You punish them by voting them out.
But it would help if the benches weren't populated by already stinkingly rich people using their MP staus to get even richer.

Not for anyone outside the M25 but do you think Sadiq Khan has shares in We Buy Any Car?

Another Russian politician has fallen out of a high rise window.
They should live in bungalows.

Quote: WasMrApollo @ 17th February 2023, 6:31 PM

Another Russian politician has fallen out of a high rise window.
They should live in bungalows.

There's a floor in that argument...

A A North Carolina man developed an "uncontrollable Irish accent" after he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, researchers said in January.

A case report published by BMJ claimed that the man in his 50s developed foreign accent syndrome (FAS) after receiving androgen deprivation therapy and abiraterone acetate/prednisone for his diagnosis of metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer. Neurological examinations showed no abnormalities, and he has no psychiatric history.

The man also doesn't have any immediate family from Ireland, nor has he ever visited the nation, BBC reported. The accent remained with him until his death. He did apparently live in England when he was in his 20s, and has friends and distant family members from Ireland, but he had never spoken with the accent.

Holy mother of Mary! Would you feckin believe that now be Jayzuz to be sure to be sure

I see rationing's back.
Only here though.
Odd that.

Quote: Lazzard @ 21st February 2023, 9:36 PM

I see rationing's back.
Only here though.
Odd that.

From the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64718823 :

The shortages - which are affecting Ireland too - are largely the result of extreme weather in Spain and north Africa, where floods, snow and hail have affected harvests.

Is the country in such a mess we can't even grow our own tomatoes?

We have to rely on Spain?

My dad grows 'em in his bloody greenhouse, can't be that hard!