British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,517

Quote: chipolata @ 9th December 2022, 11:43 AM

It's weird how the people who hate Harry and Meghan most are the ones who never stop droning on about them. Move on, and get some fresh hate figures.

100%

It's pathetic

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 9th December 2022, 11:48 AM

The Daily Maul is wall to wall H&M and their lead stalker Dan Wooton is using the same stuff he used until Caroline Flack killed herself.
Let's hope that whatever it is they plan to dig up in Cumbria is used to power steamships so that we can get back to harpooning whales and really lift this country out of the doldrums and give the Maul something to rejoice about .

Wooton is one grade A tosser

Another tosser to add to your growing list.

Quote: chipolata @ 9th December 2022, 11:43 AM

It's weird how the people who hate Harry and Meghan most are the ones who never stop droning on about them. Move on, and get some fresh hate figures.

It's a bit like people who hate the government. Or Trump. Or, dare I say it, Brexit.

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th December 2022, 5:31 PM

Wooton is one grade A tosser

I've no idea who he is or what he has said. But I suspect what you really mean is that you disagree with his views.

That's his tosser label in a nutshell.

Dan Wooton is awful.
Promoted way beyond his talent, thanks to shonky news channels and social media.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th December 2022, 6:00 PM

Bill - we wont be using this new coal for our steel production because its not suitable.
It will probably go to Turkey.
This has nothing to do with Russia.

The reports say that most exports will be to the EU, (which will help the Ukrainian situation as those EU countries too will not need to buy coking coal from Russia)

There is plenty of snow on our estate for the kids to make snowballs and snowmen.
Sadly there is also a few snowless roofs so the police helicopter can now see what houses have pot crops in them.

Quote: billwill @ 10th December 2022, 1:29 AM

The reports say that most exports will be to the EU, (which will help the Ukrainian situation as those EU countries too will not need to buy coking coal from Russia)

Oh, right,
So, that's why we're doing it.
It will in all likelihood go to places like Turkey - a notorious polluter already.
EU steelmakers are rapidly shifting to 'green steel' processing.
The company - owned by a private equity company based in the Cayman Islands ( quelle suprise) - will probably need to shift it world wide to find a mrket.
More harmful emissions.
The 500 jobs are great - but they won't last long and are not the basis for the kind of long-term generational industry Cumbria really needs.

Yes, Steelmakers are trying to convert to Hydrogen as a reduction agent in steel making, in both the UK and EU, but it's a matter of timescales.

It's not really 'green' steel, if the hydrogen used is not 'green' hydrogen.
The only source of lots of hydrogen at present is not Green hydrogen (electrolysis) it's converted from methane and produces lots of greenhouse gases. So at present h2-Steel now (and for the near future) probably produces as much pollution as coked steel. Melting old steel to re-cycle it uses electric furnaces, whence cometh the electricity? to be green it would need nuclear power or renewable-energy turbines

To make more green hydrogen, we need more renewable-energy turbines; to make those we need more steel

Will the 'new jobs' in Cumbria last long enough to get the lazy British off their seats & re-establish a proper apprenticeship culture?

The green-ness of the steel is neither here nor there - it's the process the manufacturers are getting behind - so the Cumbrian coal has very little use here.
And I'm not sure there's a lot of point in setting up apprenticeships for coal-mining.
I'll send the 'lazy British' your love, by the way.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th December 2022, 12:49 PM

The green-ness of the steel is neither here nor there - it's the process the manufacturers are getting behind - so the Cumbrian coal has very little use here.
And I'm not sure there's a lot of point in setting up apprenticeships for coal-mining.
I'll send the 'lazy British' your love, by the way.

Yup, typical you, ignore or misrepresent the bits you don't like.

Where did I say the apprenticeships were for coal mining?

Just explain your theory on how you expect Britain to real the goal of green-steel, without using Cumbrian coal, where will the coal come from or where will the hydrogen come from? Where will the steel come from to make wind-turbines? China ? (made with coal), USA (made with coal).

Sorry, I thought we were talking about coal-mining.
Agreed, we need more apprenticeships - ideally in green technology that has a future.
And of course we need steel - and until there's a better alternative, that will involve coal
But not this coal - it's the wrong sort of coal.
As I've said before 85% is set to go abroad to older-style manufactures that can cope with the high sulphur content.
And we don't buy coking coal from Russia (theirs is shitty, too).
The coal we use to make steel comes from the USA, mainly - and theres no shortage.
The justification for this new development have ranged from the spurious to the downright dishonest.
You yourself had been led to believe it would mean we wouldn't have to rely on Russian coal.
We don't and it wouldn't.
The fossil-fuel lobby within the Tory party were getting a bit fractious, and this has shut them up for a bit.
Meanwhile we look like hypocrites on the world stage, and a beautiful bit of British country side is blighted for no apparent reason.

The Grand Old Duke of York,
He had 12 Million Quid,
He gave it to someone he'd never met
For something he never did.