British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,490

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th October 2022, 12:13 PM

The job of running this country shouldn't be decided by 80,000 people..
System needs changing
And I think it will, after this.

The only change likely is removing the Conservatives' membership ballot, thereby leaving that decision to the couple of hundred MPs.

As with the move from Boris to Liz, and from Kwasi to Jeremy, the left really needs to learn to be careful what it wishes for.

Quote: Aaron @ 17th October 2022, 12:23 PM

The only change likely is removing the Conservatives' membership ballot, thereby leaving that decision to the couple of hundred MPs.

As with the move from Boris to Liz, and from Kwasi to Jeremy, the left really needs to learn to be careful what it wishes for.

Well, at least the MP's have been elected and empowered by us, as part of representative democracy - not just paid their 2 bob to become members.
And I actually think the left couldn't have asked for much better, considering.
We've ended up with much more sensible way of approaching the economy (albeit within the limitations of a Tory mind-set) and made the Tories look like an absolute shower.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th October 2022, 12:43 PM

Well I see much less help on offer to those of us who are struggling, so not sure quite what there is to celebrate. Demonstration of the true coldness of the left?

Quote: Aaron @ 17th October 2022, 12:49 PM

.... the true coldness of the left?

Putin ?

The outside markets are still dictating to us, despite Brexit.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th October 2022, 12:43 PM

Well, at least the MP's have been elected and empowered by us, as part of representative democracy - not just paid their 2 bob to become members.
We've ended up with much more sensible way of approaching the economy (albeit within the limitations of a Tory mind-set) and made the Tories look like an absolute shower.

Like all those who joined Labour to get Corbyn elected!

Quote: Chappers @ 17th October 2022, 4:10 PM

Like all those who joined Labour to get Corbyn elected!

Exactly.
And what a disaster that was.

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th October 2022, 4:11 PM

Exactly.
And what a disaster that was.

I think most right wingers joined to make sure he was elected and had no chance of a Labour government.

Yes, it was a real victory for the country really.

Quote: Aaron @ 17th October 2022, 4:37 PM

Yes, it was a real victory for the country really.

What goes around comes around, because Truss was a disaster that everybody except the idiots in the right wing echo chamber saw coming.

I think the problem is that Party membership, at both ends of the spectrum, seems to be dominated by the most 'hardcore' version of a party's principles.
Purists often have a somewhat shaky relationship with reality and shouldn't be asked to make decision that have to work in the real, grown-up world.

Quote: chipolata @ 17th October 2022, 5:18 PM

What goes around comes around, because Truss was a disaster that everybody except the idiots in the right wing echo chamber saw coming.

If rumour is to be believed, they also saw it coming but had reasons to want it to play out...

When Blair handed the keys to number 10 to Gordon Brown - the tories were in absolute uproar

HE WASNT TO ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE!!!!

Yet Boris goes and we have all this bollocks??

Hypocrisy on a humongous scale

Quote: Lazzard @ 17th October 2022, 5:27 PM

... Party membership, at both ends of the spectrum, seems to be dominated by the most 'hardcore' version of a party's principles. Purists often have a somewhat shaky relationship with reality ...

Very true. You could arguably add Putin and Trump to that list.

Quote: Aaron @ 17th October 2022, 5:41 PM

If rumour is to be believed, they also saw it coming but had reasons to want it to play out...

What were the reasons ?

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th October 2022, 6:02 PM

When Blair handed the keys to number 10 to Gordon Brown - the tories were in absolute uproar

HE WASNT TO ELECTED BY THE PEOPLE!!!!

Yet Boris goes and we have all this bollocks??

Hypocrisy on a humongous scale

And I'm sure Labour did it when Major replaced Thatcher.

Every party embarks on it when it's not them. It's total nonsense with no basis in how our democracy actually works, and everybody knows that. But it's part of the game as they seek to make political capital. It really should be totally ignored.

Quote: Firkin @ 17th October 2022, 7:47 PM

What were the reasons?

Different groups had different reasons. Some saw it as a chance to get Boris back on a ballot to members. Some saw it as the quickest route to a general election, loss, and mass reset of policy and direction. Some saw it as an ideological game to boost or hinder one or other wing of the party. There were probably a good dozen more.

Well one thing is certain

Come April, if Hunt is prepared to subject households to £4,000 or £5,000 Energy bills - the country will crucify them

It's certainly not just the poorest who won't cope- it will be millions of households

That said, he seems like the kind of sadist that would relish it...