British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,488

Which will last longer - Liz Truss or a Lettuce?
Watch this handy live webcam to find out!

I remember when we used to look down on countries like Italy because of how unstable their governments were.

Lol another quiet day at number 10 ?

The news is like Yes Prime Minister everyday now

And they don't learn - they've put that WAZZOCK Hunt in charge of the country's finance????

The prat who embarked on a one man mission to DESTROY the NHS before he was finally booted out

Staggering incompetence and idiocy from the worst government in .... probably ever !??

He's one of the few serving MPs that succeeded as an entrepreneur (he netted 14 million when Hotcourses sold) so maybe he's there to appease the markets ? Or maybe Truss wanted the least threatening leadership challenger as her seconder ?

There's an opened packet of cheese in my fridge that's lasted longer than Kwasi.

I think we can all agree that the technical term for the current situation is a clusterf**k.
Inept idealogues blindly stumbling into chaos, because anyone with a shred of integrity has jumped ship or been thrown overboard.
Is taken 7 years but this is the endgame.
If you voted for this you must be feeling pretty foolish.

That's what we needed to lighten things up - a rhyming slang Chancellor of the Exchequer

I don't think Jeremy Hunt was too bad a choice in the circumstances. Sunak would have been politically impossible I think. I don't think Truss can survive anyway.
The strange aversion to appointing a woman Chancellor continues, however.
We've had women Prime Ministers, Home Secretaries and Foreign Secretaries but still some residual sexism when it comes to putting a woman in charge of a Budget.

Well, I think Miriam Margoyles speaks for us all.

Anyone else involuntarily breaking into song on clicking on the link below:

Have you seen the old girl who walks the Streets of London
Dirt in her hair and her clothes in rags
She's no time for talking
She just keeps right on walking
Carrying her home in two carrier bags

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/deputy-pm-arrives-at-downing-street/vi-AA12X3Kr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3d7ca7b0f4fb4400940d5601bbf836ab&category=foryou

(I apologise - I'm sure she hasn't got dirt in her hair but the rest of it...)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th October 2022, 12:02 PM

Very good.

Theresa Coffey is unfit for office.
Fo a Health minister to advocate being able to pick up antibiotics without a prescription - and to go on to admit that she keeps a few about the place to hand out to friends and relatives..!
Anti-biotic resistance is health disaster just waiting to happen - it's a known phenomenon and, simply put, we're running out of AB's that work, and not inventing new ones anything like quick enough.
Things that we've got used to knocking out with a course of ABs will become life-endangering again.
Sooner she's gone the better.

Quote: Lazzard @ 15th October 2022, 1:36 PM

Anti-biotic resistance is health disaster just waiting to happen - it's a known phenomenon and, simply put, we're running out of AB's that work, and not inventing new ones anything like quick enough.
Things that we've got used to knocking out with a course of ABs will become life-endangering again.

Artificial intelligence could be used to develop powerful new antibiotics:

https://news.mit.edu/2020/artificial-intelligence-identifies-new-antibiotic-0220

Quote: DaButt @ 15th October 2022, 2:50 PM

Artificial intelligence could be used to develop powerful new antibiotics:

https://news.mit.edu/2020/artificial-intelligence-identifies-new-antibiotic-0220

Quite possibly - there are countless scientific wonders on the horizon.
In the meantime, we might try to use human intelligence (in somewhat short supply at the moment) to make the ones we've got are effective for as long as possible.

Interesting article btw