British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,487

Watching the capital hill hearings on the news

If trump doesn't finally end up in jail after what he has done - i'll be absolutely astonished

Quote: chipolata @ 13th October 2022, 11:54 AM

The Tories might be better off calling a General Election now. Let Labour win and have to try to sort out this dreadful mess, and then bounce back at the next election. Without Truss, who is doing about as badly as everyone expected.

This is exactly the problem with our system of government. It's all about the next four or five years. Nothing long-term ever gets accomplished. Start something off, four or five years later it gets reversed. Something else is initiated; four or five years later that gets abandoned. And so we go on. What the country needs is a permanent government (of all the talents) with a long-term plan of action that it can actually see through.

And if you are completely 100% opposed to this permanent government and think most of its policies are inherently wrong and unjust....?

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th October 2022, 8:48 PM

And if you are completely 100% opposed to this permanent government and think most of its policies are inherently wrong and unjust....?

Well, since 50% of the electorate are completely opposed to any government at any given time and think its policies are inherently wrong and unjust it won't be any different.

He's right that we're far too short-termist. Part of the reason why we're in such dire straits over energy.

Who privatised the energy supplies?

Did this 'competition' result in cheaper bills?

The only people who benefit are the fat cats running these companies and their shareholders- not the consumers

EDF energy is owned by a french company

Scottish power is owned by a Spanish company

E.ON U.K. owned by the Germans

Others owned by Americans

Shareholders around the world benefit from our ludicrously high bills

Maybe that's partly why we are in dire straits?

Maybe because we have companies only interested in profiteering - they don't give a stuff about energy stability and security

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th October 2022, 8:46 PM

This is exactly the problem with our system of government. It's all about the next four or five years. Nothing long-term ever gets accomplished. Start something off, four or five years later it gets reversed. Something else is initiated; four or five years later that gets abandoned. And so we go on. What the country needs is a permanent government (of all the talents) with a long-term plan of action that it can actually see through.

I agree, but that involves compromise and nobody is prepared to do that anymore.

So it's all the government's fault eh? I would agree with a lot that is being said if it wasn't for the total blinkered bias.
So nothing else has happened in recent years that could affect the economy?

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 14th October 2022, 10:39 AM

So nothing else has happened in recent years that could affect the economy?

Well, there was Brexit....?

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th October 2022, 10:49 AM

Well, there was Brexit....?

Ah but that was democratically voted on. Covid and the war in Ukraine aren't.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th October 2022, 7:05 PM

I mean. It's not really "far right", is it? Not if you're being honest, rather than just throwing around pejoratives to slander the side you dislike.

You're right (how far I've yet to work out!) - it's an easy catch all pejorative, like Leftie and Commie, and it's use here is more to do with the rhythm of the phrase "far-right f**kery" than any proper political analysis.
"Furthest Right" might be fairer?
What they're attempting to do is knock it down to build it back up.
But three things to consider.
1) Can they re-build it - or are they doing lasting harm?
2) Will the process - successful or otherwise - have collateral damage, and are we ( the recipients of the bulk of that damage) OK with that?
3) Will we like what we see - if they do manage to rebuild - once it's re-built?
The de-regulated, winner-takes-all and devil take the hindmost society will serve some people very well - about 20% of the population at best.
The pie might well get bigger, but you only have to look round you to see who ate all the pies.
The super-rich & powerful have so far shown no inclination to share what they have voluntarily - baulking at every effort to relieve them of their "hard-earned" money.
Only when the pie literally won't fit on the table will the crumbs begin to fall to the rest of us.
So, if the above is the Left/Right dynamic - which I believe it is - then, on that scale, yes - they're pretty far right.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th October 2022, 11:09 AM

Ah but that was democratically voted on. Covid and the war in Ukraine aren't.

A self-inflicted wound hurts just the same.
But as well as being in pain, you also feel a tad foolish..

Looks like we're about to get another Chancellor!
Worse or better?
Who knows.

Transport for London bus drivers have contacted their union regarding their safety when crossing Westminster Bridge due to the amount of Tory MPs that are being thrown under their wheels.
Who needs speed bumps when you have these sly bastards? These two were best mates going into it and both said exactly what they were going to do on the run up to it and Truss even said she doesn't mind being unpopular. Yet here we are she has sold him down the river and when he gets there he'll see all the other bodies she has sent down in order to climb the greasy pole.
It shows you the state of the Tory party as all the real Conservatives have been purged and now the far right is in charge and Truss is about the only one of them who can be 'Front of house' as the rest are capable of talking like Hitler or MR Bumble. Shambles doesn't even begin to cover it and god knows how much damage has been done.

Word is she's getting the 'locked room and revolver' treatment early next week.

They have scant choice it was her policy she stated it in her campaign and in her part of Britannia Unchained, it's over.
The only thing left is to try and squeeze the Asian man in that the MP's wanted but the voters didn't. And the only credible platform he can stand on is 'I told you she was worse than me'
No doubt Hunt will make the first move in the fight with the ERG but its all too late . Starmer needs a few basic soundbites to get this done. I'd go with 'Save our country, our communities and our homes' Followed by 'In gods name when will common sense prevail'