British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,486

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th October 2022, 6:55 PM

Looks like yet another u turn may be on the way ...

We need the Bank of England to U turn on it's statement it would stop buying government bonds by Friday. That has super spooked the markets, and just confirms the Tories are clueless and now working against the Bank of England as well as UK Industry. Talk about rule by knee jerk reaction, no strategy - just like Brexit.

Quote: Firkin @ 12th October 2022, 8:52 PM

We need the Bank of England to U turn on it's statement it would stop buying government bonds by Friday. That has super spooked the markets, and just confirms the Tories are clueless and now working against the Bank of England as well as UK Industry. Talk about rule by knee jerk reaction, no strategy - just like Brexit.

Or, more accurately, the Bank of England is clueless and is working against the Government, UK industry, the UK economy, and the UK population. Talk about rule by idiocy, no strategy.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 12th October 2022, 9:49 AM

I've always believed that it was Eddie Izzard's extraordinary performance on Question Time that swung the referendum in favour of Brexit.

Ha ha!

Quote: Aaron @ 12th October 2022, 8:54 PM

Or, more accurately, the Bank of England is clueless and is working against the Government, UK industry, the UK economy, and the UK population. Talk about rule by idiocy, no strategy.

I can see why you'd say that, as the government's only clear strategy has been to deride expert advice and then project blame onto those that accurately predicted the outcomes. Which includes the Bank of England, who are just a tool (in more ways than one) to manage the economy. A bad Tradesperson blames their tools. Doubling down on the Brexit fiasco is just extending our losses. It's like being ruled by gambling addicts, all this knee jerk policy changing is a clear sign of piss poor planning.

Quote: Firkin @ 12th October 2022, 9:11 PM

I can see why you'd say that, as the government's only clear strategy has been to deride expert advice and then project blame onto those that accurately predicted the outcomes.

That and the fact it was directly the statements of the Governor of the Bank of England that perpetuated further market toil today. But hey, you do you. Head/sand.

There's a lot to be criticised about the Government's actions of the last couple of weeks, but to absolve all blame from other parties is as retarded as you think they are being in the first place.

Fair point, but no longer relevant. The markets made if clear they though Brexit, then Boris where badly thought out economically, so it's astounding that Truss thought she could get away with more of the same. You cause panic, then blame people because they act out of panic how is that going to win back trust ? How will that stop talented, CEOs and Bankers from leaving the UK ? We use to be the centre of finance in Europe - this isn't good for our Brand.

'Liz Truss's flagship trade deal with India is on the "verge of collapse" after Indian ministers reacted furiously to comments by Suella Braverman criticising migrants from their country.

That's India, America don't wanna know us - Goooooooooooo Brexit!!!! Yayyyy

Surely that Trade deal would have benefited from Sunak as PM ? His wife also has powerful trade connections.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 13th October 2022, 11:22 AM

I'd much prefer to see decent levels of funding for our hospitals and schools.

They get more than enough, but require radical reform so the money actually gets where it needs to.

And I'm definitely not a Tory. Terrible hectoring leftie party. Glad it no longer exists. May Labour soon follow in its wake.

Quote: Firkin @ 12th October 2022, 9:38 PM

Fair point, but no longer relevant. The markets made if clear they though Brexit, then Boris where badly thought out economically, so it's astounding that Truss thought she could get away with more of the same.

She's not doing more of the same. It's a radical departure. That is why the markets have been so turbulent. Why on earth would they have been upset by continuity?

Quote: Aaron @ 13th October 2022, 11:30 AM

And I'm definitely not a Tory. Terrible hectoring leftie party. Glad it no longer exists. May Labour soon follow in its wake.

Not sure either party's going anywhere in a hurry.
Labour's going through a pretty strong patch.
And the Tories are busy deciding whether or not to throw off the mantle of Nationalist Neo-Liberal politics, or return to One Nation Tories.
Much as I'd love Labour to have a clear run at the next GE, I predict they'll sort themselves out.
Liz will either radically change her spots (to be fair, the ex-Republican Lib-Deb Remainer has form on this) or they'll chuck her out.

The Tories might be better off calling a General Election now. Let Labour win and have to try to sort out this dreadful mess, and then bounce back at the next election. Without Truss, who is doing about as badly as everyone expected.

Quote: chipolata @ 13th October 2022, 11:54 AM

The Tories might be better off calling a General Election now. Let Labour win and have to try to sort out this dreadful mess, and then bounce back at the next election. Without Truss, who is doing about as badly as everyone expected.

I should imagine there will be plenty thinking that - play the long game.
Next two years are going to be shit even without all this far-right f**kery.
It would be super galling to the Cons if, in 2024 Labour get in and get the unearned benefit of the inevitable 'bounce'.

Quote: Aaron @ 13th October 2022, 11:30 AM

She's not doing more of the same ....That is why the markets have been so turbulent.

So why has she been dubbed "continuity Boris" ? The markets wanted to see a unifying government that brought the stability that encourages investment and growth. That clearly ain't happened.

Quote: Firkin @ 13th October 2022, 1:38 PM

So why has she been dubbed "continuity Boris" ? The markets wanted to see a unifying government that brought the stability that encourages investment and growth. That clearly ain't happened.

She dubbed herself that to win over the Surrey golf set, who LOVED Boris.
Also played into the narrative that Sunak was a dirty back-stabber (you can't trust 'em, you know).
But, in truth, she was actually taken under the wing of the ERG/Tufton street wing of the party - who had as much to do with Boris' ousting as anyone else, holding, as they do, Billy Bunter-esque views of his brand of Tory-ism.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th October 2022, 11:50 AM

Much as I'd love Labour to have a clear run at the next GE, I predict they'll sort themselves out.

You have more faith than I do. And Britain'll be destroyed further because of it.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th October 2022, 11:58 AM

I should imagine there will be plenty thinking that - play the long game.
Next two years are going to be shit even without all this far-right f**kery.

I mean. It's not really "far right", is it? Not if you're being honest, rather than just throwing around pejoratives to slander the side you dislike.

Quote: Lazzard @ 13th October 2022, 11:58 AM

It would be super galling to the Cons if, in 2024 Labour get in and get the unearned benefit of the inevitable 'bounce'.

Like in 1997.

Quote: Firkin @ 13th October 2022, 1:38 PM

So why has she been dubbed "continuity Boris" ?

First I've heard of it. What are you reading, The New European?