British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,480

You were, of course, totally spot on.

MM will have been pleased to see Mel B speaking at the Conservative Party Conference about domestic violence.

Well, that policy didn't last very long.
She might have bought herself a few more weeks, but I think the backbenchers smell blood.

And as for Kwasi - having been thrown under the bus yesterday, I think it's about to reverse over him this morning.

I am NOT delighted by the big cuts in the welfare state. It is typical of the Tories to target the poorest and most vulnerable in society like this. This is one of the reasons I favour Labour over the Conservatives usually look after those people. The Right too often characterises them as scroungers and parasites and persecutes them for easy political gain.
Still, the government has today done a massive humiliating U-turn on the most bonkers proposal: the 45p upper end tax cut.
Any sense that the Tories still retain any sense of fiscal responsibility has gone out of the window now.

I've always preferred ladies who are not for turning.

Very disappointing and silly decision this morning.

I'm not sure she had much choice.
An early defeat int the House would have been pretty undermining.
She's going to have to start working with Parliament.

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd October 2022, 10:18 AM

I'm not sure she had much choice.
An early defeat int the House would have been pretty undermining.
She's going to have to start working with Parliament.

Needs/ed to regroup with the backbenches and give them a damn good thrashing talking to, reset the dynamic and corral the troops.

Trouble is, she wasn't their choice.

As someone (sort of) used to say, There Was No Alternative.

Absolutely bizarre behaviour from the new management. It was the easiest tap-in in political history, just announce the cost of living help package stuff that everyone's been begging for all summer, enjoy that sweet, sweet new manager bounce in the polls and waltz into your party conference as the self-appointed saviour of everyone with a gas bill.

Instead, they tack on some insane unfunded tax cut and cause the economy to shit the bed, which pisses off all the voters. Then they spend a week doubling down on it despite historically wretched polling figures, which pisses off all their MPs and most of their friends in the media. Then they u-turn on it anyway when it becomes clear it'll get voted down in the House, which pisses off whichever of their donors asked for the tax cut in the first place. Couldn't have handled the whole thing worse if Truss had started throttling a puppy live on air halfway through that interview with Kuenssberg at the weekend.

Gonna need a bountiful autumnal harvest from the magic culture war tree to recover from this one.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd October 2022, 10:14 AM

Very disappointing and silly decision this morning.

More fool you for putting any faith in her. Were you so desperate for Margaret Thatcher II that you failed to notice she had nothing in her past that indicated anything other than her being a craven opportunist without any real convictions?

We Buy Any Car have dropped him like a hot brick.

Yes, I read that.