British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,477

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 1st October 2022, 10:14 AM

Exciting on the one hand as Labour now seem likely to win. But the economic situation is terrifying.

Trouble is, it's a long way off, because I very much doubt there will be a point where the polls give the Tories enough confidence to try for a GE.
I think they know they've got two years to shape the country to fit their vision and are going balls out to get it done.
It's no coincidence they are putting in place plans to limit protest and curb industrial action.
They are already indicating cuts to state budgets (ie austerity) as that's the thing that will keep the markets quiet.
Because as much as it look like the markets are "on our side", they would be more than happy with a low-tax economy, as long as it's accompanied by eye-watering shrinking of the state .

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st October 2022, 10:27 AM

Are they mad?!

Only in a sort 'mad scientist' sort of way.
The ultra-right wing of the party have got what they wanted.
Somewhere in the dark mist of time there's a post where I say that this would be the most dangerous aspect of Brexit - the ushering in of a neo-lib version of the tory party.
And now we've got it.

I read the news today and yesterday and the day before and I've also been listening to friends, family and lots of people in the street. Words fail me so I've created this image to sum up what I'm reading, hearing and seeing.
I call it "The Poor's Murderers,"

Erm............

Nope

I got nuthin'

Quote: alison blunderland @ 1st October 2022, 1:37 PM

I read the news today and yesterday and the day before and I've also been listening to friends, family and lots of people in the street. Words fail me so I've created this image to sum up what I'm reading, hearing and seeing.
I call it "The Poor's Murderers,"

On the day they think they have finally found the body of Moors Murder victim 12 year old Keith Bennett, whose mother went to her grave not knowing where the scum Brady and Hindley had buried her son nearly 60 years ago - I find this totally tasteless.

Sick bastard.

Well, I think it's safe to say Truss' days are numbered.
At best she'll face wave after wave of rebellions in the House.
I wonder if Boris is wiping egg off his best suit in readiness.

Everybody's days are numbered.

Bit early for philosophy, isn't it?

Quote: Lazzard @ 2nd October 2022, 9:55 AM

Well, I think it's safe to say Truss' days are numbered.

They were anyway, roughly two times 365 days, till the next election, the blatant catalyst for a very radical once in a generation or two political budget and signal of her cabinet's style of policies to come. And designed to be hard for the expected new Labour govt. to reverse and revoke quickly. It is still a great gamble with people's livelihoods in reality, it's like a Japanese General's last ditch orders, fully aware it could end in suicide.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd October 2022, 10:40 AM

They were anyway, roughly two times 365 days, till the next election, the blatant catalyst for a very radical once in a generation or two political budget and signal of her cabinet's style of policies to come. And designed to be hard for the expected new Labour govt. to reverse and revoke quickly. It is still a great gamble with people's livelihoods in reality, it's like a Japanese General's last ditch orders, fully aware it could end in suicide.

I'd agree that the Tories had to try something radical to try and stop defeat the next election, but this budget was breathtakingly reckless and at best a wild experiment. Sadly, the British people and their livelihoods are the guinea pigs in that experiment.

Like Putin, the Brexiteers are doubling down on their failed gamble. If you can't beat them, kill em.

It would seem so, unless there is an Einstein-like economic genius she keeps in her handbag who's guaranteed her its success.

The thing is, enough of the country wanted Brexit for it be pushed through, once they'd kicked everyone out who objected to it and Corbyn had neutralised the Labour Party.
And because people wanted it, understandably, they look the other way when things aren't as promised
But nobody, apart from the ERG, wants this.
And it's welfare cuts next.
This is all going down like a cup of cold sick.
I think she's misread the room on a massive scale.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd October 2022, 11:38 AM

It would seem so, unless there is an Einstein-like economic genius she keeps in her handbag who's guaranteed her its success.

Austerity II is on the way...

Someone's got to pay - and as always it's the poor

Cuts in services and benefits

And rumour is the pension triple lock is for the scrap heap again

Fk with the oldies and they will get massacred in the next GE

Cracking advice from the Tory Party Chairman today.
If you can't afford your energy bills, turn your heating down or getter a better job.
The Caring Sharing Conservatives.