British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,476

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63086562

It's almost - almost - as if things aren't as bad as the metropolitan-lead, shrieking media class have been making out.

Whether that remains true in Q3 and 4, given the astronomic ramp-up in hysteria, and the very real effects of Putin's war on energy, remains to be seen.

If you read the article, the prospects are at best, mixed.

Seems to be much of what I said earlier in this topic.
Bert down the Rose and Crown knows his stuff.

If that report had been written during a Labour government, your comments would have been different.

And just for clarification, the reason the new figures suggest that the economy is NOT in recession is that they'd underestimated how bad the economy was doing before. So, yes , there has been growth, but from a much lower base.
We're still doing worse that all the other G7 economies in terms of recovery - the only one to still be below pre-pandemic levels.
And these are not cherry-picked facts - they're from Aaron's article he kindly shared.
The Truss budget required the BofE to step in with a £65 billion purchase of govt bonds - at really poor value prices - to stop a disastrous collapse of pension funds.
Hundred of mortgage packages have been withdrawn, in the belief that interest rates will have to rise again.
Anyone about to come out of a fixed rate deal is in for a shock, which will be passed on to business in reduced spending - hence FTSE takes a dive, predicting poor business results.
Truss and Kwazi have a meeting with OBR this AM, and the pound drops AGAIN when it turns out we're going to have wait for the Office of Budget Responsibility report for there best part of 8 weeks - even though it will be delivered Monday week - that's because they're gambling on the market settling before the next bit of bad news.
It's all gamble. But with our money.
It's all upside for them and their ilk. You and I, not so much.
And if you think Labour's 33 point lead is bad now, wait till the inevitable cuts to services are announced.
The markets won't let them get away with borrowing all that money without making cuts too spending.

Who are the non-metropolitan media class it's acceptable to read and watch?

(Although the media were just reacting to how the markets were reacting)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th September 2022, 10:20 AM

Didn't he sell our gold reserves at rock bottom prices?

Pales into insignificance compared to Sunak handing over BILLIONS of tax payers money to scammers during the furlough scheme

Which we won't get back

He should be put in f**king jail

Quote: chipolata @ 30th September 2022, 5:23 PM

Who are the non-metropolitan media class it's acceptable to read and watch?

(Although the media were just reacting to how the markets were reacting)

Did you not listen to Trump?
It's all the medias fault.

Quote: Lazzard @ 30th September 2022, 5:36 PM

Did you not listen to Trump?
It's all the medias fault.

It is becoming an obvious and tiresome strategy: ignore the issues and attack the evil media.

Except when it suits.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 30th September 2022, 5:56 PM

Except when it suits.

Never mind sniping, tell us some media outlets we can trust. Or who you trust.

Sniping lol. Easy word when you don't like what's said.

I understand though, it must be hard never having your wishes come true.

I actually don't care about any polls or the lefts sanctimonious preachings. I care about common sense and fairness. My life can't be changed by whatever happens politically by either side.

I don't need to. I don't run a mile I chose not to talk to some posters. You are included in that list.
You are exactly what you accuse others of. And you will see that phrase all over the media.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 1st October 2022, 9:23 AM

On a lighter note: is Truss in danger already? And could she be removed now without a General Election?

Very hard.
She's safe from No Confidence vote for a year, I think.
They're not going to vote for a GE, not with the polls in the state they're in now.
She could, I guess, be persuaded to resign by the "men in grey suits' - but she's a bitt bone-headed and I don't think she'd go.
If the polls continue to tank, though...?

Quote: Lazzard @ 1st October 2022, 9:52 AM

Very hard.
She's safe from No Confidence vote for a year, I think.
They're not going to vote for a GE, not with the polls in the state they're in now.
She could, I guess, be persuaded to resign by the "men in grey suits' - but she's a bitt bone-headed and I don't think she'd go.
If the polls continue to tank, though...?

I can't believe we're having these sorts of conversation already. I can't think of anyone whose premiership has got off to such a bad start as this.
Exciting on the one hand as Labour now seem likely to win. But the economic situation is terrifying.

I can fully believe we're having these conversations

I've always thought Liz Truss was a very very poor candidate for the top job

It's the tories 'Ed Miliband' moment

Seriously?? They have given the job to her??

Are they mad?!

Ok! ??