British Comedy Guide

What are you watching on TV? Page 2,242

The Cavern Club: The Beat Goes On on Sky Arts

Superb documentary with interviews and film clips and photos never seen before, telling the precarious story of this icon of pop history.

I never knew it had so many owners, who lost loads of dosh on it, and what caused its demise finally.

Also!! The number of mega famous singers who appeared there from all genres of the pop music industry.

A riveting hour and a half.

Married At First Sight.
What a car-crash of a programme. So bad, it's good.

The premise being, you get properly married but you don't meet your bride/groom until at the altar.
The couples are matched by experts (?) for maximum compatibility before they meet.

As you'd imagine, anyone who would agree to such a preposterous situation has to be an oddball.

"This England", the story of Boris Johnson's premiership, with Kenneth Branagh playing Johnson, on Sky Atlantic. I know - I'm a fool to myself. But it fills in an hour before Doc Martin.

I'll wait for the sequel "This England is f**ked"

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 28th September 2022, 8:34 AM

Married At First Sight.
What a car-crash of a programme. So bad, it's good.

The premise being, you get properly married but you don't meet your bride/groom until at the altar.
The couples are matched by experts (?) for maximum compatibility before they meet.

As you'd imagine, anyone who would agree to such a preposterous situation has to be an oddball.

I watched the first series a few years ago. I seem to remember that none of the marriages lasted.

Ken Burns' - the civil war, on PBS America

Can't beat a bit of Burnsy

Quote: lofthouse @ 5th October 2022, 8:50 PM

Ken Burns' - the civil war, on PBS America

Can't beat a bit of Burnsy

Used to play for Nottingham Forest didn't he?

?

Watching a "Look at Life" from the 1960s about how expensive it was to buy a Victoria Cross at auction, as they rarely come to market, and the one they featured went for a record price of £900.

One sold last month. for £930,000 - that my friend is one helluva investment, if you knew what you were doing.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 16th October 2022, 12:04 PM

Watching a "Look at Life" from the 1960s about how expensive it was to buy a Victoria Cross at auction, as they rarely come to market, and the one they featured went for a record price of £900.

One sold last month. for £930,000 - that my friend is one helluva investment, if you knew what you were doing.

That edition was from 1964.

Adjusted for inflation, £900 then is worth a bit over £14,200 today. I think that means £930,000 represents a 655% increase. Not bad indeed!

Isn't hindsight wonderful.

We have my wife's fathers ww2 CGM (RAF) medal in a cupboard.
He was presented it by king George inside Buckingham palace.
The photo of this event was the whole front page of the Daily Mirror.

We have been offered fabulous amounts for it by collectors but....she won't sell it.

50 years of Emmerdale.

Yes - I know.........

A bronx tale

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th October 2022, 8:07 PM

A bronx tale

Excellent film!