British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,466

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 15th September 2022, 9:28 AM

They won't be used imo..

I think you're right.
And it's the considered opinion of most commentators.
There is a question whether he'd even be allowed to by his own people.
It's not a happy ship, your Kremlin.

Talking of Putin...
I can heartily recommend John Sweeney's Twitter feed.
He does a daily 'war diary' - some of which comes from the frontline which he regularly visits - currently from here in dear old Blighty.
He has a lot of inside info and has been Putin-watching for over a decade.
You may know him as the bloke who went mental (and who wouldn't) during a Panorama Scientology documentary.
A good egg in my book.
Anyone who signs of "Putin. Do f**k off!" is alright I reckon.

Does anyone know if Putin is coming to the funeral?

Definitely not, along with a couple of the ex Eastern bloc countries.

Quote: lofthouse @ 14th September 2022, 1:53 PM

Wrong

Don't you people watch QI ?

The drawing part doesn't refer to the imasculating and eviscerating part

The criminal was 'drawn' to his place of execution- usually being pulled by a horse whilst strapped to a wooden frame

Actually there's seems to be evidence for both meanings of 'drawn' - but I'll go with Stephen Fry if it's all the same....

I've seen Steven Fry say with complete confidence that Satellite Navigation works by the device sending a signal up to the satellite which then responds with the position information. Complete Bollocks.

But it seems you might be right on the Drawn stuff, though in that case why isn't it referred to as "Drawn, Hung and Quartered" Seems like somebody has been rewriting history.

However see: https://www.historyextra.com/period/medieval/hanging-drawing-quartering-what-why-treason-disembowelment/

What happens when you are hanged, drawn and quartered?

Being hanged, drawn and quartered was a multi-pronged process of torture and humiliation, performed in front of large, eager crowds.

First, the condemned man was dragged to their place of execution by horse, perhaps while lashed to hurdle, leaving them covered with painful lacerations before the real agony had even begun. This is one possible meaning of the 'drawn', as in drawn by the horse - more on the second possible meaning in a moment.

The second step was hanging: the condemned having a rope tied around the neck before being yanked off the ground, sometimes by use of a pulley. There he would dangle and thrash around helplessly until just before the moment he fell into unconsciousness, at which point he was lowered to the ground and disembowelled in front of the horrified yet morbidly fascinated audience.

This is the second possible meaning of 'drawn' - there is a debate amongst historians as to the definition of the term. It could, perhaps, refer to both actions. According to the Chronicle of Lanercost - a history of northern England covering parts of 13th and first half of the 14th centuries - the famed Scottish rebel William Wallace, who was executed in this way suffered the further indignity of having his entrails burned in front of him.

Finally, the unfortunate victim was quartered. Sometimes, this was achieved by tying each limb to a different horse, which were then startled into running in different directions so as to rip the body apart. The sundered corpse was then then displayed on city gates across the country - popular sites for the head included London Bridge and Westminster Hall - to serve both as a warning to would-be traitors and an advertisement of the consequences of betraying your sovereign.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th September 2022, 9:48 PM

Does anyone know if Putin is coming to the funeral?

Not invited apparently.

Not invited to have a prime seat in the abbey maybe but, who does get invited to funerals anyway, you just go.
Perhaps he'll turn up and sit at the back.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 16th September 2022, 7:24 AM

Not invited to have a prime seat in the abbey maybe but, who does get invited to funerals anyway, you just go.
Perhaps he'll turn up and sit at the back.

He'll be obvious if he wears that wig and moustache, though - I'll be watching out for him.

Funniest thing ever? For 26 years David Beckham has been battling against the popular idea that he's thick... Then stands in the f**king Queue for twelve hours instead of bonking a Spice Girl in his 64258863-quid mansion. Smart!

Bonking her won't get him his knighthood. He is a tryer, I give him that. Maybe a change of monarch will help.

You know what cracks me up? Every time I criticise the royals, some dickhead goes, 'They bring in a lot of money through tourism'... So the Queen's funeral is costing 8 million? 'Yeah, but last month we sold a postcard of a bus.'

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th September 2022, 7:52 AM

You know what cracks me up? Every time I criticise the royals, some dickhead goes, 'They bring in a lot of money through tourism'... So the Queen's funeral is costing 8 million? 'Yeah, but last month we sold a postcard of a bus.'

And there was me thinking I was experiencing some kind of deja vu:

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 3rd June 2022, 8:22 PM

The hilarious thing about the royals is that whenever you take the piss out of them, there's always some dingbat who goes, 'Yeah, but they bring in a lot of money through tourism.' So - three royal weddings have cost 151 million quid; the royal yacht, Buckingham Palace, the crown jewels... 'Yeah, but last month we sold a postcard of a bus.' So It all balances out.

It's that echo again.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 18th September 2022, 7:52 AM

I can guarantee that this will generate way, way more than £8m for the economy. I reckon Windsor Town's economy alone has already made that much judging by how busy it was the other day I drove past the castle. Every single table outside every café, pub and shop was full and it wasn't even lunch time. And it will be going on for a while yet.

We need a Royal to pop their clogs every year - we'd be minted.

Also - in other news...
Jacob Rees Mogg's plans to go back to Imperial measurements has hit choppy waters
In a survey the govt sent out to businesses, essentially, the choices were:
A) Do you want trade in Imperial Units
or,
B) Do you want to trade in Imperial Units
The eagle-eyed have already rumbled this subterfuge.