British Comedy Guide

The Witchfinder

I like Tim Key and Daisy May is just OK, but I struggled to see the humour in this, but will give it a second chance.

I'm only one episode in but I too find it fairly humourless so far. When the over representation casting gives you the loudest chuckle you know it's rather dire going.
I think maybe she's just too much This Country...does the world really need the female version of Matt Berry? Granted Tim Key isn't exactly lighting up the screen either. I'll watch a couple more...

Horrible Histories with swearing?
Mildly amusing at best.
It's on series record, so might watch the rest when bored.

Aww I was quite looking forward to this

You might enjoy it.
It's OK - just not earth-shattering.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th March 2022, 8:00 PM

It's OK - just not earth-shattering.

That's the problem with sitcoms for about the last 20 years

Meh

S'ok

Not bloody good enough!

Having suffered the agony of Fleabag, Mum and Hold The Sunset in recent years - to name but three - I have resolved to watch no more new sitcoms. Life's too short to waste time trying out new stuff when there's DVDs and repeats of Hancock's Half Hour, Bilko, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served and Hi-de-Hi to catch up on.

"Witchfinder" isn't un-funny because it's new.
It's un-funny because it's not funny.
Lumping "Hold the Sunset" in with "Fleabag" is just weird.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th March 2022, 8:55 PM

Lumping "Hold the Sunset" in with "Fleabag" is just weird.

Not at all. I was listing recent so-called sitcoms that I found "un-funny", which is, apparently, also the case with The Witchfinder (which vindicates my decision).

Fleabag wasn't a Sit-Com.

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th March 2022, 9:07 PM

Really? How would you describe it then?

Comedy-drama.
It's certainly how the makers of the programme described it.

Ironically This Country is one of the very few sitcoms in recent history that did make me lol quite a bit

It benefited from really great performances.
The moc-doc format was pretty tired though, IMHO

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th March 2022, 9:07 PM

Although it is described by no lesser authority than the BCG itself as TV Sitcom https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/fleabag/

And listed and discussed for three years on these very forums - including by yourself - under the sitcoms genre https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/33187/

Regardless of whether one wants to call it a sitcom or a comedy drama, the fact that the word comedy is included at all in its description, justifies my original point.