British Comedy Guide
Please consider donating to help British Comedy Guide produce quality comedy coverage. Thank you. Find out more

Kaye/Kay

Continuing to read "David Nixon - Entertainer with the Magic Touch" (I am a slow reader) there were a number of mentions of a comedian called Peter Kaye from the 70s.......................now, two things.

1/. I can find no reference to THIS Peter Kaye as a Google search comes up every time with the well know Bolton comedian Peter Kay (without an 'e' at the end) - does anyone know him or have any history of him or even remember him?

2/. It got me thinking then of just how many comedians there have been with that surname, which is odd.......do you not think?..............No?

So, we have Peter Kay (Phoenix Nights etc), Peter Kaye (my mystery comedian), Phil Kay (Scottish, not seen so much these days on TV) and Paul Kaye (aka Dennis Pennis)............all British and ALL oddly enough with a first name that starts with a 'P' - weird or what.

Then there are the two well-known American comedians Danny and Stubby............
Anymore you can think of?

Ben Stiller and Ben Miller (a mill and a still both make food products.)

Huge number of O'Connors-Des, Tom, Andrew... I don't think they're related.

American bandleader Kay Kyser did a bit of comedy.

I had the great pleasure of working with Paul Kaye in my sitcom. An electrifying and manic actor, charming and courteous in private.

KKK
(Took my baby away)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 15th June 2016, 4:38 PM BST

Ben Stiller and Ben Miller (a mill and a still both make food products.)

Huge number of O'Connors-Des, Tom, Andrew... I don't think they're related.

I was talking specifically about Kay/Kaye, but if you insist - Donald.

Quote: beaky @ 15th June 2016, 5:34 PM BST

I had the great pleasure of working with Paul Kaye in my sitcom. An electrifying and manic actor, charming and courteous in private.

Wow.....what is happening on that front at the moment?

It was the press screening on Monday, which seemed to go very well. First episode to be shown on Gold on July 20th at 10 p.m.

I'd love to see it but I'm not prepared to pay for any more TV stations.

Hope it goes well though Beaky.

Thanks Chappers, and I wouldn't either!

Quote: Chappers @ 16th June 2016, 11:18 PM BST

I'd love to see it but I'm not prepared to pay for any more TV stations.

Hope it goes well though Beaky.

Ditto from me on both counts :)

And don't forget our own Kaye.... the lovely L.E.

Quote: billwill @ 17th June 2016, 11:34 PM BST

And don't forget our own Kaye.... the lovely L.E.

Is she still the BCG's property? She only posts about twice a year now!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th June 2016, 4:27 PM BST

Continuing to read "David Nixon - Entertainer with the Magic Touch" (I am a slow reader) there were a number of mentions of a comedian called Peter Kaye from the 70s.......................now, two things.

1/. I can find no reference to THIS Peter Kaye as a Google search comes up every time with the well know Bolton comedian Peter Kay (without an 'e' at the end) - does anyone know him or have any history of him or even remember him?

The late Val Doonican recalled (as re-produced on pages 58-60 of "Roy Hudd's Book of Music-Hall, Variety & Showbiz Anecdotes", published by Robson Books in 1991) that, in the 1950s:

"Syd Royce (agent) rang me one day asking if I could do him a favour. He'd taken under his wing a young comedian still in his teens and was anxious to try him out in a few cabaret rooms in London. More than a few laughs were in store as I mounted the rickety stairs to Syd's tiny place of business. The young Peter Kaye was already there. He wore a very smart suit, neat white shoes and the very latest thing in trilby hats, a la Ol' Blue Eyes himself

There followed a demonstration which sent both Syd and myself into fits of laughter and poor Peter into a fit of depression. Removing his hat with a sophisticated flourish he sent it flying like a frisby across the tiny office. Sadly, in his state of ecstasy, he'd forgotten that the windows were wide open. Away went the brand new hat, sailing out over Charing Cross Road, landing like a flying saucer on the roof of a passing trolley bus never to be seen again.

Peter went on to find great success in TV & theatre and today lives and works in Sydney, Australia. In fact we appeared together on a talk show over there a few years ago when the story of the hat was the highlight of the evening."

With the Sydney connection, I have now found this update:

http://www.celebrityspeakers.com.au/peter-kaye/

Hope that helps.

That's brilliant BB, and a photo too as I was wondering what he looked like - although there are loads of photos in David Nixon's book there is not one of him despite the mentions.

Still don't remember seeing him on TV in the 70s though, which seems odd.

Ahh, just did a quick YT search and found this, which means little to me:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13J8TBSK9s

Perhaps one of our Australian friends/posters could enlighten us?

http://www.slipcue.com/music/country/countryartists/conway_lee_01.html