British Comedy Guide

Things that piss you off Page 1,487

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 7:10 PM BST

If they sorted out Wonderwoman's outfit and made it cool maybe I'd watch it.

Wonderwoman does have the best theme tune ever, though.

What about Superman's stupid outfit? I don't remember an army of women complaining about the Man Of Steel's skin tight package fest in the last movie. Batman's leather perv suit? Green Lantern's figure hugging unitard?

And this is what I'm talking about - Wonder Woman must be some shaven headed, lesbian man hater dressed in a baggy boiler suit and Doc Martens to appease the feminazis.

So come on then zooo, what would be the appropriate Wonder Woman outfit?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 8:11 PM BST

And this is what I'm talking about - Wonder Woman must be some shaven headed, lesbian man hater dressed in a baggy boiler suit and Doc Martens to appease the feminazis.

I hope you're not delusional enough to think I just said any of that...
I've never heard anyone say anything like that actually - aside from panicking, over reactionary blokes like your good self. :)

I'm no costume designer, but (in my opinion only, remember I don't actually speak for all women) a cool female superhero would wear something like a cross between Tank Girl and Michonne from The Walking Dead.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 8:11 PM BST

What about Superman's stupid outfit? I don't remember an army of women complaining about the Man Of Steel's skin tight package fest in the last movie. Batman's leather perv suit? Green Lantern's figure hugging unitard?

People - male and female - complain about every superhero film. Costumes, plot, the lot.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 6:24 PM BST

We've created a society that has taken a fun comic book character and turned it into a politicised, contentious, sacred cow.

We won't make a film that will make us lots and lots of money because the feminists won't like it..said no studio ever.

Maybe the reason they aren't making it is because the patriarchy don't like the idea of a strong female protagonist?

Or maybe gender has nothing to do with it at all. Maybe it is all about money.

RCP, you seem to treat feminists in the same way other people view UKIP - greatly overestimating their ability to affect the society you live in.

We are not some homogeneous mass.

At its very base, feminism is the belief that men and women are equal in worth, dignity and value.

So basically a feminist is anyone who isn't a c**t. (Ironically)

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 8:28 PM BST

I've never heard anyone say anything like that actually - aside from panicking, over reactionary blokes like your good self. :)

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 7:10 PM BST

If girls see a character in an outfit like that they know perfectly well she exists to get blokes off not to inspire girls!

Just pointing out that it's a pretty rich double standard. Male superheroes in skin tight outfits can be lusted after but it's forbidden the other way around.

It's also pretty odd that being turned on by a superhero showing a bit of skin is reprehensible, but overwhelming displays of violence and domination are perfectly acceptable.

I'm trying to think of the last superhero film I saw where the male lead kept his shirt on throughout the entire movie. Again, I'm sure the reverse sexists will forget all of the male semi-nudity to complain about Jennifer Lawrence in the new X-Men movie covered in blue paint.

Quote: Jennie @ 6th May 2014, 9:12 PM BST

RCP, you seem to treat feminists in the same way other people view UKIP - greatly overestimating their ability to affect the society you live in.

We are not some homogeneous mass.

At its very base, feminism is the belief that men and women are equal in worth, dignity and value.

So basically a feminist is anyone who isn't a c**t. (Ironically)

Feminists do greatly affect the society I live in. They constantly attempt and sometimes succeed in censoring, banning and outlawing art, music, film, video games and literature. Any movement that seeks to limit free speech is considered sinister by my value judgements.

At it's very base, equal rights advocates believe that men and women are of equal worth, dignity and value. Feminists, by their very name, indicate a bias towards the female gender.

As for who is and isn't a 'c**t' - here is a very simple test. We're both out with groups of friends, we both meet a woman for the first time, she states adamantly that she's not a feminist and doesn't like feminism. Which group is going to accept her as an individual in her own right who knows her own mind and which group is going to attack her?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 9:15 PM BST

Just pointing out that it's a pretty rich double standard. Male superheroes in skin tight outfits can be lusted after but it's forbidden the other way around.

When did they forbid men lusting after scantily clad women? :O

They're a bit lax in enforcing that one.

I suppose one difference is that superhero comics were generally aimed at boys, so male superhero costumes weren't originally designed to get ladies hard, but the female costumes were certainly designed to be 'sexy'.

Quote: Jennie @ 6th May 2014, 9:26 PM BST

When did they forbid men lusting after scantily clad women? :O

I think it was about 1993. Top of the Pops had changed formats and all the cameramen who used to get fantastic close ups of Kylie Minogue's arse and Mariah Carey's boobs were sacked and instead we got close ups of Take That's abs and crotches.

Well no, it wasn't a double standard, because this...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 9:26 PM BST

Wonder Woman must be some shaven headed, lesbian man hater dressed in a baggy boiler suit and Doc Martens to appease the feminazis.

is nothing like this...

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 8:28 PM BST

If girls see a character in an outfit like that they know perfectly well she exists to get blokes off not to inspire girls!

As usual, you don't read what people actually say, you just project a ton of extra crap you want people to say and then argue with that. Bit pointless!

My main issue with the Wonderwoman costume is that it's f**king lame and tacky. It's just an added bonus that it's all tits and legs.

Show me a modern costume design for this imaginary film you're upset that imaginary feminists have imaginarily objected to, and we can discuss if it's cool or lame.

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 9:36 PM BST

Show me a modern costume design for this imaginary film you're upset that imaginary feminists have imaginarily objected to, and we can discuss if it's cool or lame.

They made a pilot for a TV version a few years back. They got rid of the hotpants at least, but this costume is all kinds of cheap and terrible:

I reckon wearing a top where your boobs might pop out of when grappling with baddies seems like a flaw.

Laughing out loud Point proven. It's so Abba.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th May 2014, 9:26 PM BST

As for who is and isn't a 'c**t' - here is a very simple test. We're both out with groups of friends, we both meet a woman for the first time, she states adamantly that she's not a feminist and doesn't like feminism. Which group is going to accept her as an individual in her own right who knows her own mind and which group is going to attack her?

:S

What?

I guess you would like me to say that I would attack her, because it would make you happy and fit with your world view. So yes, I would attack her, the stupid bitch. Angry

In case you are interested in anything which contradicts your own opinions, my favourite definition of feminism is this one:

The most straightforward definition of feminism says that is a movement for social, cultural, political and economic equality of men and women. It is a campaign against gender inequalities and it strives for equal rights for women. Feminism can be also defined as the right to enough information available to every single woman so that she can make a choice to live a life which is not discriminatory and which works within the principles of social, cultural, political and economic equality and independence.

A lot of people, including lots of women no doubt, do seem to be confused about what feminism actually means. Perhaps if it didn't have 'fem' at the start people wouldn't get so confused.

There's nothing wrong with superheroes (male and female) being sexy as well, but for god's sake look cool at the same time.

Like thingy off wotsit.

Ooh, or Resident Evil.

I think I've turned.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 6th May 2014, 9:45 PM BST

A lot of people, including lots of women no doubt, do seem to be confused about what feminism actually means. Perhaps if it didn't have 'fem' at the start people wouldn't get so confused.

I absolutely agree, and unfortunately a lot of the stereotypes surrounding feminism are unhelpful. I have a couple of feminist friends who are fairly masculine in appearance and actually referred to me as a "lipstick feminist" the other day because I thread my eyebrows and get my eyelashes stuck on.

This perpetuates the myth that feminists are all over masculinised man haters - confirming the beliefs of those that won't seek past the stereotype for the truth (mentioning no names of course).

Feminism is just about equality. Maybe it should just be peopleism.

Quote: zooo @ 6th May 2014, 9:36 PM BST

My main issue with the Wonderwoman costume is that it's f**king lame and tacky. It's just an added bonus that it's all tits and legs.

You can go to Google and type in 'Wonder Woman Feminism' and see all of the imaginary people I have obviously made up to create a false argument. It might seem hard to believe, but there are people out there, beyond the realm of the BCG who have opinions that I rally against.

Here is quite an in depth article about Wonder Woman's change of costume in the comic books, where she was 'de-sexualised'. http://benlundy.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/more-on-wonder-woman-costume-feminism.html