British Comedy Guide

Help!

Hi,

I'm looking for info on a show I watched as a child in the late 70s. Unfortunately I remember VERY little about it. I watched this in reruns, so the show could have originally aired anywhere from the late 60s to the mid 70s.

Now, all I recall is that the series was a comedy about a couple. For all I know, this could've been a couple that was married in real life... maybe. The show would open with both of them speaking directly to the audience. Now I *think* they were looking in the camera, speaking directly to the home viewer, or there possibly could have been a live studio audience. At any rate, I'm pretty sure there was laughter heard, which could've been a laugh track.

During the opening dialogue, they would discuss some funny situation that happened in their life as a married couple. I believe this would lead into a more regular sitcom format, where they would be joined by other characters.

I know, it's not a lot. Hopefully this bit of information will be enough to ring a bell with someone.

Thanks!

Didn't I Love Lucy have a real life married couple?

Never really watched it though so I'm not sure if its the one you're thinking of.

Plus it may be older.

No chance it was Life With The Lyons?

From the description, it sounds like Burns and Allen to me. They sometimes opened the show with them discussing some situation that Gracie got herself into or misunderstood.

Were they American?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th February 2014, 1:07 PM GMT

From the description, it sounds like Burns and Allen to me. They sometimes opened the show with them discussing some situation that Gracie got herself into or misunderstood.

Were they American?

That was my first thought also but, I think that show was done in the 50s. Then again, it has re-ran even recently.

Rings On Their Fingers?

Thanks for the responses everyone. It's definitely not I Love Lucy or Burns & Allen. Those shows were American, from the 50s, and in black & white. This was definitely a British series, in colour, from (at least) the mid-60s, probably early 70s.

I found a clip of Rings On Their Fingers on YouTube and, although it looks a lot more like what I'm looking for, I don't think that's it. I believe the man had dark hair and (possibly) a moustache. Did Rings On Their Fingers begin with the two of them speaking to the audience?

I will get them out and watch them tomorrow.

Moustache makes me think of the great John Alderton in My Wife Next Door, but I don't recognise the to-camera dialogue description.

I just watched a clip of My Wife Next Door and that's not it. But I have to say that John Alderton looks a LOT like the mental image I have of the man in the show I'm looking for. I *think* his wife had dark hair though. Not sure about that.

Wouldn't be No - Honestly, would it?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/1560/no_honestly_the_complete_series_dvd/

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! OH MY GOD!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I'm watching an episode on YouTube right now! Thank you so much!!!

I was going to add to my description that I remembered the wife being a little ditzy, and from what I can see, I was right about that. LOL!

Now that I've watched an episode, I'd say my description of the whole thing was spot on! =)

Happy to help. :)

When ordering, don't forget to pick up copies of the sequel, Yes - Honestly!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/?search=Yes+Honestly

Thanks again! Too bad it only lasted 13 episodes. Well, it certainly made an impression. =)

I don't know if I ever saw the sequel. It stars different actors so I doubt it. It's from the same writing team, so I think I'll give it a go! Yes, honestly. ;)