British Comedy Guide

Still Open All Hours - 2013 Special Page 2

I loved this show. Is it a wise decision to bring it back? Errr, dunno. Depends how good/bad it is.

Wow, what a surprise. I love the original, and who knows, maybe this could be the start of a whole new series. Nice to have a good old fashioned traditional sitcom coming back for a special. What next I wonder, a spin off of Terry & June, maybe a brand new series of Bread? Lol.

YES I AM EXCITED.

Great news that David Jason will be back on Christmas TV.

This really is some excellent news, cannot wait to see this at Christmas!

Quote: Horseradish @ October 7 2013, 8:13 PM BST

That's true...but let's hope it's better than The Royal Bodyguard.

I hope they don't just cram it full of wistful looks at the aggressive cash register and similar cheaply emotional references. I hope it's a proper episode.

When it finished in 1985, David Jason said how he was concerned that his age would make it look as though Granville was a bit behind mentally if the show continued, as you couldn't really have a man of that age behaving like a teenager.

Regarding the Only Fools and Horses potential special in the BCG report, as far as I'm aware, David Jason only said that Sullivan has asked him in around 2008. I would be interested in to know where the bit about Lapland came from as I didn't think the BBC knew about the mooted special never mind formally commissioned it.

Quote: Horseradish @ October 7 2013, 8:13 PM BST

"Royal Bodyguard" anyone? No, I thought not!

Quote: gb901 @ October 7 2013, 10:56 PM BST

"Royal Bodyguard" anyone?

Yes please!

Quote: Aaron @ October 7 2013, 10:57 PM BST

Yes please!

Don't worry Aaron, maybe in ten or 15 years they're going to make a one off Christmas special of it. ;)

I won't hold my breath! ;)

Might have to dust off the original series DVDs and give them a re-watch in the lead up to this then.

P-p-p-roof of the p-p-p-pudding...

I'll watch it but this can't work:

1. No Ronnie Barker/Arkwright
2. Granville is 120 years old so what made him funny in the original shows, being an unexperienced insecure boy, can't be revisited now.
3. There are no little grocery stores in the 21th century (correct me if I'm wrong)

So nearly every aspect of the original premise is missing. You can't do a James Bond movie without the main character, without a manic villain and technical gadgets.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 9 2013, 6:14 PM BST

3. There are no little grocery stores in the 21th century (correct me if I'm wrong)

There are!