British Comedy Guide

Derek - Series 1 Page 28

Just had a catch up of the last three episodes and certainly enjoyed Karl Pilkington more and even Gervais turned down the gurning. Worth a second series, in which he might make something as good as Getting On, which is what this show would like to be.

If I understood why people liked this show I might understand why people voted for Hitler.

Consider this thread Godwinned.

Godwin lives on BCG, surely you know that?

I loved this it was bloody fantastic hope there is a second series

I tried to like it, I did. It just came down as plain boring to me and it was another Ricky Gervais playing Ricky Gervais-trying-not-to-be. I think I prefer Gervais when he's playing himself, not a character. I loved him in his radio podcasts and his radio show, and in Idiot Abroad. The thing that I found with Derek was that it was just really dull. The characters were just dull. He did handle the subject well, I didn't leave thinking he was making fun of people who are differently abled.

Quote: BenS @ September 20 2013, 6:20 PM BST

I didn't leave thinking he was making fun of people who are differently abled.

Nor did I. Sadly he didn't manage to make any fun out of 28 minutes, either.

Yikes... things must look very different from Canada.

I just started watching Derek on Netflix and I have to say I think it's brilliant.

Ricky Gervais seems to have an anti-fan club, if I go by what's written here. I only know his work from Extras, which I also loved.

Just my two cents.

????

Someone liking a programme he doesn't like is apparently the worst thing that's ever happened to him!

Ahhhh... thanks for explaining.

I'm sure there are plenty of planets (or parallel universes?) where Ricky Gervais is not an actor/comedian and is never on television.....

I love RG, The Office, Extras, his skewering of Comic Relief.

I'm baffled by the love of his dubious sitcom about learning disability.

Quote: Rose2010 @ September 21 2013, 8:55 PM BST

Yikes... things must look very different from Canada.

I just started watching Derek on Netflix and I have to say I think it's brilliant.

Ricky Gervais seems to have an anti-fan club, if I go by what's written here. I only know his work from Extras, which I also loved.

Just my two cents.

I live in Canada as well, and although I watched it when it first aired, it's just come out on Netflix here so everybody else is just now seeing it. I'm shocked at how many people not only like it, but think it's absolutely brilliant. As a fan of Extras and The Office, I thought Derek was unbelievably bad and that nobody could possibly like it. It's like a clumsy, ham-handed amateur imitation of what made Extras and The Office good.

A mystery indeed.

Thanks yeh it's awful.

He had this brilliant character as the bitter, failure, underdog anti hero. Either the stoic Millman or the big man Brent. Then he did the radio show, which was still good and this new bullying, darker side came through. And then warped into him playing the supposed victim of bullying in Derek.

I mean The Office and Extras were packed with cringe-inducing, point perfect satire.

And now he's wearing a jumper and flicking his hair whilst he sits in trifle or eats a giant piece of cake.

It's like Van Gogh started drawing George and Lynn, because he liked tits.